Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #43

I had a Splendide combo in my fiver which I really loved. Yes, small loads but you can set it and forget it til the clothes are dry,no more lugging wet clothes out of washer to put in dryer. I now have a stackable in Motorhone and miss my combo.
caroldee2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #44

W/D for Full timing

You certainly got a lot of feedback. The reason people like them seems to have one common thread connected to their lifestyle and personal preference especially about laundromats.

Here are other things I would consider... we bought our DSDP in 2000 with a W/D prep option and never installed one. Our lifestyle and use doesn't trigger the trade offs to actually put one in. We don't mind using park laundromats. There are some very nice and clean ones. Here are some thoughts to consider.

Consider ordering the MH with the W/D prep. Bear in mind that can be very valuable space for other things.... thus a trade off you must make.

Boondocking without hook ups will work against W/D use. The water supply and gray tank storage is limited and must be managed. Electric would probably have to be from the genset while using the W/D. Usually its not a problem when parked with hook ups. This lifestyle and travel locations is another trade off you must make.

Research the units for RVs today to make sure you understand how adding later would effect installation. I suspect it might be a bit more costly to add one to the W/D prep.

Just my thoughts if you are not sure.
Skiphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #45

Splendid Combo works just fine for us. When we leave to sightsee just load it and forget it. It’s done when we come back. We don’t wear formal clothes, just jeans a t shirt. Does the bedding and towels no problem, just can only do 2 towels and washcloths, along with t towels and dishcloths for a load. Works for us.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #46

Enjoying ours

We're kind of new to RVing and are not full time, yet we certainly enjoy having a stacked Whirlpool system in our unit. If we are on a trip >6 days or so, we will wash linens and clothes during the trip. After hearing stories about how long it takes to wash/dry with some RV WD pairs, we were pleasantly surprised to note our system performs just about as well as our home unit. Ours vents to the outside.
jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #47

We had a stacked set of Whirlpools in our 5W. It made life a lot easier since we weren't stuck at a laundry mat for a few hours...
outlaw5067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #48

We are not retired yet, close but no cigar, we bought a used rig with the option for a combo washer/dryer. 1. I used so many laundromats in my younger years, and have seen a lot of things in them. If I have to use a laundromat, I do not leave my belongings unattended. I have seen people put their close in with yours or pour what ever into the washers of others. I have had my close taken out of both the washer and dryer. I have also had my clothes stolen. Thank you no to laundromats. We never had a washer and dryer in any RV before and would just bring everything home and do enough loads to be able to go to work the next day. We just had install in our new to us rig is real nice early this year. throw a load in afternoon, and forget about it. On our last day out, heading home we put in the last of the laundry that need to be done, leave the generator on and magically when we get home its ready to be put away, after folding of cours. no more dragging dirty laundry back into the house to be done, then take it back out the next weekend.
wolfpackrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #49

Not a full timer but a washer dryer lover! We bring far less clothes. We play hard and get dirty so being able to wash often is good. Storing two weeks of salty smelly dirty wet clothes is not a great idea. Also dry our towels after a shower to keep them fresher longer is something else I love! I have better things to do other than hang in a laundromat where who knows what was washed in the machines.
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #50

We don’t full time but travel at least 2+ weeks a month. We have a separate washer and dryer, tried a combo in another coach but the dear wife wanted to be able to wash and dry loads at the same time. She hates to use public laundry facilities but she loves to be able to wash even though loads are smaller than the stick house machines.
Falconeer189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #51

We just moved from a bumper pull to a class A with a stacked washer/dryer. The issue for us with laundry was the residue left in washers from harsh soaps and detergents.
505scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #52

New Horizons Owners Club
We found that laundry can drag on over several days for us when the W/D are in our living space so we opted for the additional storage space in the RV and have no problem going to the laundromat once a week. If we’re both involved, we can knock out the washing, drying and folding in about an hour. Keeps my lovely bride happy 😊
Bulgmaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #53

Go stackable

We have always had a washer/dryer. First in our 2001 Bounder, then 2011 Tuscany and now our 2020 North Point. Based on experience we went with stackable this time. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet due to this whole covid19 thing, but I’m sure it will work better than a vented combo and definitely better than non-vented combo. Washer/Dryer is a must have for us.
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #54

1/2 timers/boondickers. Water concern

We boondock (on BLM. LTVAs) about 6 months of the year (Snowbirds). For me a major concern would be the water usage. We only have about 50 gal of fresh tankage. How much does one load take ? Dave J.
Radioranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #55

Camping with children

I can say this. Once you have a sick child in the middle of the night and need to do laundry, you wish you had one. The combo isn't bad for us just follow the instructions. We like the convenience of not having to run an errand.
Jim Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioranger View Post
We boondock (on BLM. LTVAs) about 6 months of the year (Snowbirds). For me a major concern would be the water usage. We only have about 50 gal of fresh tankage. How much does one load take ? Dave J.
I measured 14 gallons into white buckets. normal, cold, single rinse.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote