Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #1

Washer AND Dryer? Or Combo..what's works best?

Hey Folks..yup..another question from me...sorry, there's going to be a LOT of them as we slowly count down to retirement AND Full Timing!! (292 days from today, 3/12/2020 - You know...in case you're interested. WOOHOO!

So, we are looking at a LOT of rigs and of course we want to have a washer and dryer in our new to us rig (yes..that'll be another post as we narrow down our choices).

So, "IF" you had to do it over again, would you choose a Combo or separate washer dryer, and why?

As I've done a bit of reading I hear folks sort of like the combo as you just "set it and forget it" and at the end of ??? (a lot of time) you have a small load of dry clothes, right?

What are the pros and cons of both you all don't mind me asking?

Thanks In Advance!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have separates and love 'em. You can do twice as much laundry with separates.

I've heard from those that own the combo units that they like them too. But they agree it's much slower.

When we first started looking my wife was all, "I don't need a W/D on my RV" and then after we'd seen maybe 3 RVs with W/Ds she said it was a must have on her list.

Now, she says it not only is her favorite feature but it makes her happy to stay out on trips longer than before. WIN.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
So, "IF" you had to do it over again, would you choose a Combo or separate washer dryer, and why?
I'd go with a separate washer and dryer like I have now. Yea, they eat up a lot of space, but I can do all of my laundry in a day, including my sheets and blankets. In fact, they eat up the space that used to be a bunk. I removed the bunks and setup the washer and dryer there. The space they eat up is definitely a concern. When working 7 days a week, laundry can pile up way more than you expect it to. It's wonderful being able to just toss 4 days worth of laundry in the washer, get a bite to eat, then toss it in the dryer and go to bed when I'm done eating. It also works well when taking multiple people on vacations. Me and my four nieces and nephews can go somewhere and not have to always be doing laundry. 1 load a day is plenty and we always have a fresh towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
As I've done a bit of reading I hear folks sort of like the combo as you just "set it and forget it" and at the end of ??? (a lot of time) you have a small load of dry clothes, right?
Yep, combo units are "set and forget", but they are small and take a long time. It's wash time + dry time for every load. With separate units, you're starting a new load every time you one cycle finishes. No need to wait for the previously washed clothes to also dry before starting load 2. The upside of the combo units is that they don't take up much space. They can work well for a solo person or a couple, so if that's you, consider a combo.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Saturate take up too much room and weigh too much. We have been full time with our Splindide 2100XC unit for almost 7 years now and would not be with out them. They work fine as long as you read the owners manual and follow the instructions. They are not like a home unit and cannot be loaded as heavily.

Most of those that complain about the combo units are passing on hearsay or did not bother to read the manual.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have separates and love 'em. You can do twice as much laundry with separates.
x2. We used to have a single unit -- never again.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #6

When we started full-timing 6 years ago, our rig had stackables with a 120V dryer.....but after using them for 6 months, the DW said to get rid of them as it took too long to dry the loads and took up too much space and CCC. She felt it was easier for us to go to a laundromat once/week for 2 hours. That being said, she says if we ever decide to install another washer and dryer, they will be stackable but the dryer will be propane to reduce drying time.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #7

Seperates allow you to wash and dry loads at the same time. Combo allows you to load start and walk away for about 3 hours, and come back to clean dry clothes. Each has their plusses and minuses. You have to decide which would be best for you. When we were camp hosting we would start a load in the morning, go to work, come back for lunch take out and fold out clothes and start another load.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb36912 View Post
That being said, she says if we ever decide to install another washer and dryer, they will be stackable but the dryer will be propane to reduce drying time.
I have a natural gas dryer that I converted to propane. It dries wonderfully and doesn't use as much propane as I thought it would. I definitely suggest using propane over electric for the dryer.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eight years with a Splendide 2100XC, a vented combo unit. Love it.
Yes, it’s one load at a time, and these appliances are not as spacious as residential machines, but that really isn’t the issue people like to paint it as. For a couple, it’s no hassle at all. One poster above mentioned tossing four days of laundry into the machine. I don’t know what type of machine that was, but it was nothing I’ve ever seen for an RV!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm full-timing but it's just me, my washer-dryer combo has a 1kg-1 hour setting to wash and dry a small load which is way more than enough for a single day, even a full 10kg load (to dry, I think you can wash more) only takes I think 2-3 hours, but as you said I can just set it and forget.
Washer-Dryer technology seems to have come a long way in the last 5-10 years my new one certainly kicks the arse out of my old one.
I never even thought of getting separate washers and dyers, all that swapping between and it only really would have become more "efficient" if I was willing to hang around to swap them at the right time, life is too short!, and I'm using the space that the separate dryer would go!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:34 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Previous coach had a combo unit. Was convenient in that it went from wash to dry automatucally. No shuffle between washer to dryer. But the small capacity negated that good by creating the need for several loads. Doing laundry seemed to take forever.

Current coach stacked separates were a must-have. Larger capacity. Ah, much better. Only way to go, imho. Especially so if full timing.

###

Hint: RV dryers are typically 120v, not 240v like a residential dryer. So less heat and takes longer to dry. Much of this can be mitigated by running an additional spin cycle in the washer. This drives much of the water out - shortening dryer time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
I have a natural gas dryer that I converted to propane. It dries wonderfully and doesn't use as much propane as I thought it would. I definitely suggest using propane over electric for the dryer.
What do you have. I have not found a gas dryer that fits.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

I suppose separates are a little more versatile. You can certainly do more laundry at a time. The tradeoff is you need twice the space. Longevity of those units is still an unknown.
The Splendide 2100XC has been around a long time. It's built like a tank. I've never had a problem with mine in 10+ years.
I don't have room for separate units so a new motorhome is a pricy investment just to be able to have separate units. I would NOT want to go up in rv size just to be able to fit 2 units instead of one.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our last rig had the combo Splendide, which we never used since we were both still working and couldn't stay out long.
Then we bought the present rig with stacked Ariston units. They work great although the 240 volt dryer means I have to run the generator or be on 50 amp service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote