Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Watch out for the Word REAL

After reading some posts about the "real" cost of full-timing, I couldn't help but wonder why anyone believes they know the genuine reality about full-time RVing.

The "truth" about full-time RVing is like the "truth" about any lifestyle choice. There are so many variables, it simply doesn't make sense for anyone to claim they are the spokesperson for something as complicated as living and traveling in an RV.

In my opinion, the number one factor that shapes any reality is the participants. For example, if you're full-timing with someone that you really love, you probably won't get too hung up about issues like propane and medical provisions. After all, what lifestyle is without its share of problems and challenges?

My point is that when it comes down to it, full-timing is a personal choice. No one has a monopoly on the truth. So when someone uses the word "Real", it's just another opinionated opinion. For some of us, full-timing beats other ways of spending our lives. For others, they wouldn't be caught dead living in an RV. I like to believe that you never know until you try.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hear, Hear
rad1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
This is a forum, unfortunately it's going to have it's share of know it alls that aren't in a position to do what you're doing, are jealous, and want to pee in your Cheerios. I'm on two motorcycle forums, two RV forums, and a gun forum. They're all the same.

Besides couldn't you take the basic budget for a vacation, multiply by 52, add in a little for mail service and other things of that nature, and come up with a rough number?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I fulltimed for 4 years in a DP, spent an average of $150,000.00/year, all inclusive. We met several people who did it in an old Travel Trailer and Junker Car that said they lived on $25,000.00/year. We met several people who had Prevost and said they spent $250,000.00/year!

It's all depends on what you have, what you want to spend and what you enjoy. There is no high, low, average and/or mean in this research project.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have even seen heated discussions about the definition of full-timing. We've been full-timing for around five years. We live in a motorhome with a big dog, two cats, and a one-year old baby. When people ask how and why we live in a moving vehicle, we tell them that it's not all that different from living on a houseboat except that you're on land.

As for answering the question why we live in an RV. we fall back on that universal response...It seemed like the thing to do at the time. Luckily for us, it still seems like the thing to do. Financially, it's hard to compare living in a house and living in an RV. However, the determining factor is probably the amount of travel that is involved. I'm sure that if a home dweller traveled as much as we do, they would spend a lot more on hotels, meals, etc.

On the other hand, if they sat home and never went out, maybe it would be easier and cheaper than RVing. Who knows. Anyways, we've lived in houses and we've lived in RVs and for some reason, we rarely wish we were doing something else. Nice to hear from other RVers. Take care and stay in touch.

Jack
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
After reading some posts about the "real" cost of full-timing, I couldn't help but wonder why anyone believes they know the genuine reality about full-time RVing.

The "truth" about full-time RVing is like the "truth" about any lifestyle choice. There are so many variables, it simply doesn't make sense for anyone to claim they are the spokesperson for something as complicated as living and traveling in an RV.

In my opinion, the number one factor that shapes any reality is the participants. For example, if you're full-timing with someone that you really love, you probably won't get too hung up about issues like propane and medical provisions. After all, what lifestyle is without its share of problems and challenges?

My point is that when it comes down to it, full-timing is a personal choice. No one has a monopoly on the truth. So when someone uses the word "Real", it's just another opinionated opinion. For some of us, full-timing beats other ways of spending our lives. For others, they wouldn't be caught dead living in an RV. I like to believe that you never know until you try.

Jack
Really!

Sorry Jack, the voices made me do it! I have to agree with you though.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post

Besides couldn't you take the basic budget for a vacation, multiply by 52, add in a little for mail service and other things of that nature, and come up with a rough number?
In a word, no. When you fulltime you are NOT on vacation. Your expenses over a year will be much less than what a one week's vacation expenses would be - different philosophy. Fulltiming probably will mean more meals in instead of lots of dining out - that is a significant cost reduction right there. Some months we only move 100 miles - people on 'vacation' may do that every couple of days or every day - - so fuel costs are less.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
In a word, no. When you fulltime you are NOT on vacation. Your expenses over a year will be much less than what a one week's vacation expenses would be - different philosophy. Fulltiming probably will mean more meals in instead of lots of dining out - that is a significant cost reduction right there. Some months we only move 100 miles - people on 'vacation' may do that every couple of days or every day - - so fuel costs are less.

Barb
True, I was thinking along the lines of it's easier to come in under a budget than try and fit in overshooting one, at least the first year.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
You can't try and figure out a first year budget with any accuracy - - there are just too many unknowns that first year. We were about 50% over the first 6 months of what I had projected simply because we were getting our feet wet and had a lot of things to work out in terms of length of travel, length of stays, things for the coach, adjustments to the coach, repairs, maintenance, new grocery stores every few weeks (that will really break your budget until you understand why it is happening), etc. After that first 6 months we slooowed down, enjoyed ourselves more and spent less.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote