Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The folks that say no are right for many/almost all, but not all states. A number of people have posted that RVs are required to stop in MD. We have traveled in most of the states in the continental US (not MD though) and have not stopped in any of them or seen signs saying all non commercial vehicles over some weight limit must stop.
I live in MD and this is the first time I've heard of this. I am in the process of selling my box truck because the truck Gestapo have lost there minds so it would not surprise me. MD is getting very hard to live in.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #16

Never stopped and I have never been chased down because I passed one.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #17

I usually do not stop unless the electronic board tells me to stop. Not all states have the in motion weighing of course. I contacted Texas and they told me no.
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #18

most have signs all commercial vehicles must stop, mh isn't a commercial vehicle in ny
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
most have signs all commercial vehicles must stop, mh isn't a commercial vehicle in ny
In Florida all private vehicles pulling trailers, such as U Hauls have to stop, at least that was what the lighted sign said....
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #20

We've towed our 5er through 26 states and never pulled in to a scales.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do when they aren;t busy, usually pull in shut dn lane, & go ask if they can weigh, always have a very nice response sure, go back around they say & will even give a print out. Sure beats paying at CAT. new 1st in fl now have 4 point weigh

have done in GA Fl
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #22

This is another big difference between full-timing and general RV'ing. Since full-timing is about slowing down the pace of your life and enjoying the journey, secondary roads are far better than the fast pace of highways where most of the wiegh stations are.
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
In Florida all private vehicles pulling trailers, such as U Hauls have to stop, at least that was what the lighted sign said....
. U-hauls are rented, hence in commerce
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Man I sure hope this does not start to be issue,we have enough obstacles to contend with already.But you know the good ole govement is always looking for another handout from us tax slaves.....
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #25

Does anyone believe the weigh masters look for RV trailers passing a station? Think again. The State police hardly have the time or the knowledge of all the traffic laws. As an example, I pull my motorcycle trailer behind my 5er. This is only legal in maybe 26 states. I have never been stopped, and have passed and been passed by hundreds of police cars, local and state. I once had a Georgia trooper ask me while at a rest stop
" Hey is that legal?" I laughed and replied "as long as I don't get caught". he laughed too, then walked away............ It's not legal in Ga. One time in N.C. a friend and I were pulling a 20 ft TT with no plates. N.C. Trooper stopped us for no trailer registration tag. My buddy said that the tags are not required on trailers 24 ft and shorter. He told us to have a good day. Now I'm certain there are troopers out there that know the laws inside and out, but sometimes it's simpler to ask forgiveness, then permission.
jmerik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #26

Understand the exact wording of the sign and comply exactly. There are only a couple of variations as far as meaning goes

There are places where if you go past and should have entered, the fines are hundreds of dollars even if you make a u-turn and go back.