Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
What are your biggest regrets going full-time?

My wife and I are thinking about going full-time. This is a very big decision and one we're not taking lightly. One concern I have is regretting our decision after selling everything and starting over. What are your biggest regrets, if any, going full-time?

thanks
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #2

Regretting the decision?

Like getting married ???

Its a Commitment
Never look back.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
None...19th year now!

Still have friends that can't get the "no house" idea. My answer..."see all the signs, we can get one if we need it". Same goes for "stuff".
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

Not doing it despite what DWs wants. She refused, now Im stuck in a house with too big a yard and no longer able to RV due to health issues.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
regets
1.going to my home state of ny

2.trying to bring the slides in when the coach was not level (burned motor)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Regret is a personal choice. If you think you will regret something than don't do it unless you want to prove that regret. You have alot of other options to chose from in the RV lifestyle.
Full timing or any lifestyle is not meant for everyone, we all have different desires/needs.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #7

I miss going waterfowl hunting.....but the good outweighs the bad. We're having a great time.-Paul
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

I have never considered it nor will I ever considered it.
I'm a home body and would miss everything I have if I was to travel too far away. This is especially true of my two grown children one who lives next door to me and the other who lives 1.3 miles away. I have 4 grand children and 1 great grand son. When we go camping we all go together. It's not far away but is a bit of a get away from our normal schedules. We started camping in 1976 and have continued to do so since. Weekend warriors.
The farthest away we have taken our MH is 163 miles to attend a NASCAR race. My son and my daughter come along with their families. 2 campers and a couple tents. We also go together to two snowmobile grass drag races within 90 miles of home each year and camp Friday through Sunday.
I built my own house and have lived in it for 44 years. Living on my 200 acres of land we groom and manage for wildlife, hunting, fishing, ATVing, snowmobiling, using my shooting range and whatever else we fancy doing is my way of having fun.
I'm not the least bit interested in leaving to go to a warmer climate in the winter. We race snowmobiles in the winter and have a ball doing it. Instead of complaining about the weather we take advantage of it. We take our racing seriously working nearly every night on our sleds either maintaining them or making improvements.
I have planted over 2000 trees on my property and have pruned and released hundreds of apple trees. I have carved out trails galore around our property and everyone uses and enjoys them.
Not far my back door is one of the largest snowmobile and ATV trail systems in our state. I can access it anytime I want. I also belong to clubs who build and maintain the trails and am active in helping to do this. Our whole family has been involved helping also. My son and I have spent countless hours grooming snowmobile trails and my wife often rides along with me. Our clubs have large machines to do this with and we groom 10' wide trails on the system. We groom only during the evening and night times. There is too much traffic on the trails in daylight hours to be safely out there. At night we have LED lights and flashing lights and beacons so the sledders can be warned we are out there.
I won't fault or disrespect anyone for doing what they want to do. If traveling and or full timing is for you then go for it. I just don't fit the mold. Life is too short to miss out on something you wanted to do, could have done, but didn't do.
Lynn
Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
LETMGROW

If you don't full-time and would never do it, why are you posting in a thread on the full time section that asks about having regrets going full-time?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

Only regret was waiting so long to start.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
I miss going waterfowl hunting.....but the good outweighs the bad. We're having a great time.-Paul

It seems like hunting would be a good full time hobby. You could travel the country and hunt from your door step and donate the excess meat to a local shelter.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #12

My initial answer was "waiting as long as I did before starting", but that seems like a cop-out answer to me. A slightly better and not quite as cop-out answer is "not getting a toy hauler". Given my current situation, a toy hauler would be more practical for me to have modified than a bunk house. That's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though. Eh, live and learn. I honestly love full time RVing.

As far as the actual full-time lifestyle goes, I have absolutely no regrets. Some people think of me as homeless, but I don't. I'm just always home, even when I'm on vacation.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #13

No regrets, although we don’t full time any more. Our kids got their inheritance early (that was eye opening) and we sold most of the rest of the stuff. We missed having a home base for 2 1/2 years. Now we split our time between our new home in Idaho and Arizona. We travel when we want and still have our 5er but we don’t always take it with us when we travel. Sometimes it’s cheaper not to.

It’s nice having a home base and not being tied to a lot of things that collect dust. We have what we need and fewer dust collectors any more.

So, my advice to the OP is, this decision takes a lot of honest soul searching for yourself and your partner. Some people thrive on the uncertainty and adventure, others don’t. Only the two of you can decide what is best for you.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #14

Regret...........
Not getting to FT longer. (only 7yrs)
Should have done it sooner.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote