Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
No, it isn't on the bay, it is on the ocean just south of SF. They have lost a row of about 20 RV sites that were right on the bluff to erosion - the bluff is slowly eroding away.

Here's the link to the photos we took from our blog site: SF Photos
Ahh ok.. Nice! We were north of SF over the Golden Gate Bridge then up the highway about 10 miles or so. It was the place where the 6th grade school kids would have the week class trip. My elementary school used to go there and to sly park some of the years. We got to go to Sly Park when I was in 6th grade. So it was all brand new to me when my grandpa took us up there.

MY post didn't make much sense. What I had meant to say is that the water was COLD and outside was cold too and windy. It wouldn't take us long to get used to the water though! We would go out and say to ourselves that we weren't going to get wet, then see a shell in ankle deep water, and when running to get it the wave comes in and the water is past my waist. At that point I say eff it because I was already wet.. The next day the same would happen.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the lifestyle change.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various forums here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Good luck and continue to enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MthwMcIntyre View Post
It has been almost year of full time RV'ing and completely pursuing living more minimally!

You can watch my video here

https://youtu.be/gHym89DgxeM
A very unique way of explaining your new lifestyle! Welcome and good luck in your future.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
I post this question because I am ready and researching full time life.
I read blogs and watch videos. And run across apparently very wealthy people"full timing".
My question and concerns are,
Are these people truly full time or just temporarily living in an RV for an adventure then go back home. Not trying to bring anyone down here it's just I will be transitioning to full time out of financial needs. My wife and I could stay renting in a house..and spend all our money every month just for a roof over our heads and be able to do nothing.
We want to full time to have a quality of life with our financial situation. We sold our house. Rent for now....moved across county, own our class a.

So my questions is who has full timed with the intention to not have a backup house or enough money to just buy one when full timing gets to be to much. And are there any legit people/blogs that could be a good source for information.
Not going to point out one person. But on there blog..... expensive RV....very expensive yacht that they lived on. I'll be on a fixed income and switching between a 500,000 boat to a expensive RV is not in my wheelhouse.
If someone were to ask me: "What is the best way to insure that I can truly be unhappy?" my answer would be: "Stop focusing on your own life and, instead, worry about what other people are doing and what they have".

It doesn't matter what other people are doing and whether they are going to stop what they are doing and go back to doing what they are doing before. The question is, what do YOU want to do?

Personally, I am very, very happy for people who are wealthy enough to do what they want to do whenever they want to. That's a good thing. My wife and I can't do that, but so what?

But I digress. We are full time RVers. I am almost 69 and still working. We relocate to the location of my assignment. When I retire at age 70, I will get the maximum Social Security benefit plus my modest retirement savings. We would probably never be able to go back to being homeowners. I suppose we could rent a place if we wanted to, but why? We love our lifestyle. When I reach the point where I don't feel comfortable pulling our 44' 20,000-lb 5th wheel toy hauler with our 3500 diesel dually pickup, we'll live in Phoenix RV parks during the winter and pay someone to move is up to a park in Flagstaff or Prescott or Sedona for the summer.

For most of my life, I had a large house, a big shop, lots of stuff and on and on. I got rid of all that and now we have our rig, our guns (we target shoot) and our Honda Gold Wing Trike. And we've never been happier.

I don't know if any of this helps, but enjoy your life and make the best of it with what you have.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
A very unique way of explaining your new lifestyle! Welcome and good luck in your future.
Thank you! It has been a great journey so far! I've noticed it said you have been full time for over 16 years now! That's amazing! I can only hope to reach that goal one day!
MthwMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #90

What is Truly Fulltime?

We have been researching for a year. Finally signing a contract on our S&B on Tuesday! Well God willin and the creek don't rise! LOL We have been devouring YouTube videos. Amazing how many rich people think their way is the only way, if you don't have lots of money to stay in RV RESORTS you aren't doing it right. With the sale of our house we will be debt free in a new to us Class A with some savings living of Social Security. It will be fun and exciting I CAN HARDLY WAIT! Check out DanandJenNevada on youtube, I think they are one of the best examples of living within your means on the road fulltime. Good Luck and God Speed! Hope to see you on the road!
wbputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #91

Full time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
I post this question because I am ready and researching full time life.
I read blogs and watch videos. And run across apparently very wealthy people"full timing".
What is full timing? This is bound to get response from the entire spectrum. In my opinionated opinion it is a person that lives in an RV full time. It is sort of like camping. What is camping? In my early years of "camping" (ie late 1940s thru today), camping was sleeping on the dirt without a tent. The old timers would say "if your in a tent you might as well be in a house" so camping in a tent is not "real camping". Times change and so do definitions.

Yes, some folks on the RV tail have been very successful in life. They purchase whatever their expanded wallet can handle. No fault or blamed in my statement. These folks usually continue their life style in retirement. Mostly you will find them in resort type parks where the term RV is seldom used.

From that prospective, RVing expands to the rest of the world. In my case, my wife and I live in an older (2000 RexHall Rose Air DP) motorhome). We have lived in it full time (100% of the time) since we purchase it two years ago. Prior to that it was a Pace Arrow again full time. Yes we still own about an acre and a half in Northwest Louisiana. It has a 3000 square foot house along with two workshops totaling 2000 square feet. Because we went two years without spending a night in the fixed structure, we leased it to the youngest daughter and her family on a lease purchase basis. No matter our health or whatever, we will not return to living in conventional housing.

We have a power pole and separate electric service. All because I have something else I like to do. I build things in my shop. Be it wood, metal, electronics or computers.

It is possible to reduce cost and live the RV life style. It is not possible to stay in the most expensive resorts and to spend money as does Bill & Melinda Gates. Just like you did in your working years, what is your income, what are your expenses? That is called a budget.

My wife and I actually have more disposable cash than we did in our working years.

If you still have the health and the desire, working around RV parks can be very beneficial. We ran into one widow that was living on a modest social security income. She worked in the office the Corps of Engineers 12 hours a month. In return her RV spot, electric, water and sewer were all paid. For her it was a great fit. But I must add you have to have a love to work with with people to make that sort of thing go.

One trip I was on the park deleted one weeks rental because I showed them how to connect a three phase motor starter (one hour work). That allowed them to get the water well pump back up and running. It was a holiday and an electrician was four days away.

RVing is not one specific style of living. It is just like life, composed of many different aspects. Find how you fit and go for it.

Another thing, I often hear people say you need 10, 15, 20+ thousand in cash for emergencies. I agree you need that reserve. However I hold my cash for "super emergencies", I used credit cards for run of the mill emergencies, therefore if I don't need to use it, it doesn't tie up my plans. If I blow an engine, I can repair/replace it and back on the road without "running on empty".

It is not "partly cloudy" it is "partly sunny". Have you noticed how doom and gloom are always in the middle of doom and gloom?
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbputerwiz View Post
Amazing how many rich people think their way is the only way, if you don't have lots of money to stay in RV RESORTS you aren't doing it right.
Truer words have never been spoken. Quoted because I can't say it any better.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #93

Seems there is a lot of snobbery amongst full timers - from both ends of the financial spectrum. We fulltimed for 7 1/2 years in the late 80s p, early 90s. We had a very limited income but no debt, and had always been savers. So, even though our income was only $1500 a month, we still saved a little each month. Granted, it wasn’t that hard. We belonged to 1000 Trails and our annual fee was $260 for unlimited use, that was our rent and utilities. There were some 65 parks in the system back then so we travelled the entire country with little cost. It was a great life and we met many fine folks. I know it isn’t possible to live as reasonably now as then but I think most people have far more income also. I might add that I was in my early 50s and my bride was 6 years younger - she is still 6 years younger but I am now 85.
Not quite sure what my point is, other than you can be happy in a multimillion dollar Prevost or in a pickup camper if you decide you want to be.
We now have a nice home in Arizona and another in Washington but still have a class B to get from one to the other and occasional camping outings. Seems our saving ways have paid off.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time