Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

What to do if staying in one place for a while?

I live full time in my Class C. I'm getting ready to go down to Mexico and stay in one RV park for a while - 6 months to a year, maybe longer.

What do I need to do to take care of my rig while I'm being stationary? I have covers for the wheels. I was planning to start the engine for 10 minutes once a week, and run the generator for 30 minutes once a month.

What else do I need to do to make sure my rig stays in good condition while we are resting awhile?
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

It's best to take a long drive instead of sitting still and running the engine.

You might want to give it a good wax job before going if you're going to be near the beach. Salt air is very hard on everything.

Perhaps a windshield sun screen would be good.

Otherwise..... have a great time!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
DO NOT start engine unless you are going to drive for 20 minutes or so. Make sure your fuel tank is full before shutting down.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
DO NOT start engine unless you are going to drive for 20 minutes or so. Make sure your fuel tank is full before shutting down.
^^ I'd do this.. Maybe change engine and generator oil and filters and prepare it for long term storage..

ALSO, I wouldn't start the generator. I'd cover the tires..

Plug the air intake so critters can't climb up inside, moth balls distributed around the engine transmission...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Automotive engines don't really like to be started without being 'worked'. Personally I would take the MH out for a 45 minute or so drive every month. While you're out fire up the generator and run the AC or heat, whatever is appropriate for the weather, so that the generator can work for a while also.
If you're unwilling/unable to drive the RV then just don't start it - ultimately it will be better off than starting and idling for a short time.

Also, don't just START the generator, WORK the generator. When you start it make sure there is plenty of load on it so that it will have to work.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

I agree with the "drive it don't just run it" philosophy.
You have bearings, suspension, u-joints, rear differentials, brakes, air conditioning etc etc etc. All these components need to move or be used occasionally.
We tow our 5th wheel with an F350 but also have a small SUV that tows our boat. We're usually setup in one place for 5-6 summer months and spend 4 winter months in Florida. We use the SUV most of the time but the 350 gets used at least once a month. Typically it's a minimum of 50-75 mile trip, one way, in a random direction. We found some pretty neat things on some of those drives and some really good, and some not so good, off the map places to eat and visit.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
I did as Cummins recommends and after 6 months of non-use I ended up replacing all 6 liners and pistons in my ISX due to acid etching of the liners. It was bad enough you could feel the roughness with your fingers. Not sure what the correct storage procedure is now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I did as Cummins recommends and after 6 months of non-use I ended up replacing all 6 liners and pistons in my ISX due to acid etching of the liners. It was bad enough you could feel the roughness with your fingers. Not sure what the correct storage procedure is now.
We've been doing three month shutdowns without a problem for years. We always schedule our annual maintenance during the 6 months in Arizona so she gets run across town (30 miles each way) at freeway speeds at about 3 months in. Not sure what went wrong with yours.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Boats sit for 6 to 8 months up north in the off season, snow plow equipment sits in summer, street sweepers sit in winter, farmers leave equipment all over the fans until harvest time.

If your generator is gas, run it every 4 to 6 weeks to flush thru the aging gas in the carburator. They are open to the atmosphere, fuel injection is not.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghouse View Post
I live full time in my Class C. I'm getting ready to go down to Mexico and stay in one RV park for a while - 6 months to a year, maybe longer.

What do I need to do to take care of my rig while I'm being stationary? I have covers for the wheels. I was planning to start the engine for 10 minutes once a week, and run the generator for 30 minutes once a month.

What else do I need to do to make sure my rig stays in good condition while we are resting awhile?
Running the engine like you suggest could be harmful. If you run the engine and/or generator it should be exercised for at least 30-45 min. Most engines though do not need to be exercised.

I would however add a diesel treatment and wash and wax the coach.

Most importantly, look at you manuals or online for what your different manufactures recommend.

Changing the oil and filter on both the engine and engine will help reduce the potential for acid problems.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
I would however add a diesel treatment and wash and wax the coach.
Not sure if OP is gas or diesel but if gas - having gas treatment on hand to treat the final fill up before making camp seems a minimum.

We're down south for 6 months this winter and I'm leaning towards the monthly mini trip with gen and house AC running. Depends on how easy in/out our site proves to be. Have fun in Mexico -
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
Not sure if OP is gas or diesel but if gas - having gas treatment on hand to treat the final fill up before making camp seems a minimum.

We're down south for 6 months this winter and I'm leaning towards the monthly mini trip with gen and house AC running. Depends on how easy in/out our site proves to be. Have fun in Mexico -
Not sure why people don't use the signature line
Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
^^ I'd do this.. Maybe change engine and generator oil and filters and prepare it for long term storage..

ALSO, I wouldn't start the generator. I'd cover the tires..
Some generators don't do well if left sitting because moisture builds up on the some of the components and can cause problems in the future. Do some more research on your gennie to see if it needs to be exercised and how often. Running the air conditioning for twenty minutes or so would probably be good.

I'd get the oil changed in the engines before long term parking if it wasn't done right before driving down.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #14

Sorry, I didn't mention. This is a GAS engine, not diesel.

I didn't use the signature because I haven't been here in quite a while.

2014 Coachmen Leprechaun Class C, 25', E350 gas engine.
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace