Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #15

1. Living in a tiny house - the only thing I really missed was my big kitchen sink and dishwasher. In a big house, you're still only ever in one room at a time.
2. Family - the internet makes staying in touch as easy as living across town. Still go to big family events.
3. Giving up sticks and bricks - miss the most for having a place to work on my vehicles. Something as simple as changing your own oil is hard to find a place to do it. It was also really hard to pare down decades worth of stuff to a few cubic feet. I'm still not done, as I have a 5x10 storage unit with stuff too heavy to travel.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
1. Living in a tiny house - the only thing I really missed was my big kitchen sink and dishwasher. In a big house, you're still only ever in one room at a time.
2. Family - the internet makes staying in touch as easy as living across town. Still go to big family events.
3. Giving up sticks and bricks - miss the most for having a place to work on my vehicles. Something as simple as changing your own oil is hard to find a place to do it. It was also really hard to pare down decades worth of stuff to a few cubic feet. I'm still not done, as I have a 5x10 storage unit with stuff too heavy to travel.

That's one thing we're definitely NOT going to do! I've read about folks that rented storage units and ended up paying more in storage fees than the stuff was worth!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Tom, I too will miss my shop, but I have bought a portable vise that will clamp onto a picnic table, and I'm taking two Rubbermaid boxes of tools. The smaller box contains just hand tools, and the larger one Skil saw, jig saw, hacksaw, hand grinder, level, soldering iron, etc. I'm also taking a large socket set, both metric & SAE. Hopefully if get out there and need something else, I can borrow it from one of my neighbors!
Joe, consider a mount for your vice that will slide into your hitch receiver. Gives a very strong support. It could even extend out a bit, to give extra working room around vs the table clamped.

Don't forget a good drill, not only for holes, but very nice for driving screws in and out. I bought a cordless kit that has both drill and an impact driver.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Joe, consider a mount for your vice that will slide into your hitch receiver. Gives a very strong support. It could even extend out a bit, to give extra working room around vs the table clamped.

Don't forget a good drill, not only for holes, but very nice for driving screws in and out. I bought a cordless kit that has both drill and an impact driver.

That would be nice to have! I see that Harbor freight has this one that should work! Thanks for the tip!

Hitch Mount Vise Plate
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's one thing we're definitely NOT going to do! I've read about folks that rented storage units and ended up paying more in storage fees than the stuff was worth!
I think storage units are an interim step before giving up everything.

But you are correct if the storage costs 150/mo that's 1,800/year - is the stuff being stored worth it?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #20

The biggest challenge for me is the combination driving, everyday maintenance and repairs - it's a lot of work.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I think storage units are an interim step before giving up everything.

But you are correct if the storage costs 150/mo that's 1,800/year - is the stuff being stored worth it?

Yep. We have a 5x5 climate controlled locker with some of the heirlooms etc. $40/month, and hope to distribute the contents as we go.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
The biggest challenge for me is the combination driving, everyday maintenance and repairs - it's a lot of work.

It isn't "every day" for most folks. Our average move is 200 miles, about 30x per year. The MH is home base, the toad does about 18K miles exploring each year.
Maintenance is 1x per year, barring the occasional unscheduled event. None so far!
We relax, almost never do w&@k. Tinkering? Yes. This continent is a really awesome oyster!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #23

That would be nice to have! I see that Harbor freight has this one that should work! Thanks for the tip!

Hitch Mount Vise Plate

Dang!! I need that for my HF tire changer! I change my motorcycle tires at least once a year (145hp on a 2 inch by 4 inch contact patch eats 'em up pretty quick-about 8k to 10k miles) and I thought I might have to pay someone to weld a hitch mount to it. This looks like a bolt-on alternative.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #24

Our biggest challenge was downsizing. Everyone can say the words but doing it is another story. What to keep, what to toss; I,be spent so much on this or that I can't get rid of it, ect, ect. So we did the
Tee passes and asked ourselves the same questions. How often do we use it, do we need it, what is that, why do we have so many of this or that.

We can say that now we are downsized, our lives are some much better without all the clutter and junk we accumulated over the years.

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took two years to downsize. And 4 months to sell the place.
I would suggest people take there time and do it right.
I have no regrets at all. Don't miss the shop or the yard work or maintaining a log home.
I never have looked back and never will. Sticks and bricks is just work work work.
We also got rid of our picture albums took months to scan everything but glad we still have our memories.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #26

Our house sold in 8 days and the buyers requested a 30 day closing. Closed in 33 days; we were already on the road. 😀

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #27

After 10 years we look back and can't find much that was hard. We planned for 18 months and kept nothing. After our children took what the really wanted it was easy to release everything else
Ron missed his tinker toys but since we go!unteer for the USFWS he gets plenty of time to build things, fix things, ride a mower etc
Technology has kept us active in our family's lives and we are super blessed to have very independent children. Because they had already moved to other areas we actually now get to really be there for the big events and fun times.
Truth be told I missed: my morning paper on the porch, my church choir and well nothing else
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You guys are taking for ever.....So here is me yelling at you again...JUST DO IT !!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote