Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #15

We started full-timing in spring 2007 with an open ended timeframe and no goals other than to get from Phoenix to Vancouver Island our first summer. We loved the freedom and independence of living this way and soon discovered that boondocking was our favorite way of traveling.

After 2.5 years we got the itch to do this travel thing on a boat, so we bought a sailboat and cruised Mexico's coast. We returned to our trailer for two summers, and ultimately came to realize that we liked full-timing better than cruising.

So now we are transitioning back to full-timing. We'll do it as long as it is more fun than anything else we can think of doing!

The best part has been seeing beautiful places and getting to know some of the smaller towns and special communities in the US.

Also, all this travel has given us both time to learn about and improve our photography, which has become an all-consuming passion, and it has given me a chance to do a lot of writing (blog and magazine articles), which I find immensely fulfilling.

So for us, full-timing opened our eyes and introduced us to things we never would have been exposed to in the same way if we had stayed in our old neighborhood living our old life...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started full timing pretty much open ended. We said we wanted to do it until we got too old, too bored, or too sick to continue.
As it turned out all three things happend in some small degree and we bought a house in CO summer before last.
We had intended to just spend part of last summer in the house but due to a couple of blood clots in my right leg we ended up staying there all summer.

We still intended to snowbird and are in AZ for the winter. We are now considering whether we want to come down here next year or not.

One thing for sure - we had ten wonderful years of full timing and have zero regrets.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #17

Bought a used MH, sold most of the belongings and leased the house for 3 years. After 18 months, we have been in 37 states, 54 different RV parks, 10 Walmarts and travelled 15000 miles. When the tenant moves out, we will probably sell the house and buy a small 1-story townhouse in south Florida with a garage for my toys, a garden for the DW and a storage lot for the MH. Then we will continue half-time until we can no longer do it.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #18

We decided to be FT because of my job circumstances. I travel the country from power plant project to power plant project. Each project typically lasts 9-11 months. My company will either pay for my hotels and meals or give me a daily per diem of $140 (tax free). My kids are all grown and gone so the wife and I decided to go FT in our MH and let the company pay for it. We've been FT for almost a year and still enjoying it. For us it made economical sense and beats the heck out of staying in hotels for months on end.

My wife is a physician and working on getting her medical license here. Once she does that, we will re-evaulate how much longer we will FT as her job location may dictate an area that we can't.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
My health forced an early retirement. Sold everything including the house.

We plan to travel as long as we can. Our exit plan is to park the trailer and live out our lives in it.

7 years now. so far so good.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #20

Just finishing up our 8th year and can't see any end in sight. We know that someday life will intrude and whether it be health or age, the wheels will stop rolling. When that happens we know for sure we will not be going back in time to live in a sticks and bricks. It will either be stay in the RV or buy a small basic Park Model and enjoy the years of memories somewhere warm, whichever makes the most sense when that time comes. And it will come.