RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

When full-timing, does time move slower?

My wife and I are getting ready to full-time in about 5 months. We have purchased a truck and our new 5er will be coiming in next month. It seems like the days are dragging til we get our new home and when August arrives. We feel like kids again when the month before Christmas took forever.
Normally as we get older (my wife and I are in our mid, to upper 50's), time seems to fly by as we do the same things day in and day out and before you know it another year ends. But just like our anticipation of things to come, I would assume that the very nature of full-timing keeps the future fresh, by going to different places, seeing different thing, planning future major trips like Alaska or going across the country. So, my question is for those that full-time, does time seem to slow down, or do we all have to resign ourselves to that fact that life is passing by in a blur? And of course, the lack of stress and getting out and exploring the nation will reverse the aging process right?
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
The time will flex. In some ways it seems like we just started this lifestyle yesterday, in other ways, it seems like we have been doing it forever. No that is bad.

Overall, it seems to go fast when looking at the past. Our computer shows a slide show of the places we have been. Each of the pictures has a date, and when they show, I say I can't believe it was 5 years ago when we were there!

When looking forward to something that we are anxious to do or see, time seems to drag.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Heck no! We've been fulltime for almost 8 years, it seems to have flown by. We have had so many experiences that we would have missed had we stayed working at our jobs. My daughter had triplets in 2006 and we were able to stay for 9 months and help out. My DH's sister passed away in 2007 at age 47 and we spent 3 summers in MT with her family. I was able to see my elderly father twice a year and spend quality time, 3 weeks to a month, instead of quick 4 day visits. While he was a difficult person I wouldn't change a thing. We've visited many of the national parks that we've heard about for so many years, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, Niagra Falls (not a national park). Gettysburg, the Gulf Coast, New Orleans, I could go on & on. We didn't have retirement income when we first hit the road, so we cut back and volunteer as park hosts 6 months of the year and travel for 6 months. The memories are so special. The time flew, but it was great! Hope to enjoy many more years on the road
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I agree with those who say the time just speeds by. We have been FTing nearly 7 years--and its almost impossible for either of us to believe its been that long! As mentioned though, only when we begin talking to someone about this place or that-or looking at pics, do we realize how long its actually been.

The last few years when we working, the time seemed to drag on forever. Now it seems to fly! Have fun.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time is a constant however it can seem to move slow or fast in relationship to how fast or slow you are moving. Active folks almost always wonder where the time went. Time that seems to move slowly is probably because of boredom.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are those who say Time is linear and always flows at the same rate.. Clockmakers for example.

WE the people know better. The time between the arrival of this month's bill and next month's bill Like 2 days

The time between this month's pay check and next month' spay check, Like six weeks.

Its all relative.. The greater your hunger, the slower the timer counts down the time to dinner.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

Some days time flies by; some days not so much. The days we're doing our "adventures" (aka exploring a new area, museum, etc) or changing locations we're always amazed how the hours fly. Rainy days, laundry days, appt days, oh my how long the day is. We try to have adventure days most days.

Martha