Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #15

Watertwown,

Interesting insights. I see your point about gone is gone high or low. Thing is, I'm not worried about my driving (I drove a school bus for 5 minutes, didn't like it, and keep my cdl up.) I'm worried about the other drivers. I see people out there who must think lines for lanes have no importance. The rest are talking on cell phones. And what about those who drive 18 wheelers and fall asleep. Nevertheless, I'm going to take your points into consideration.
Thanks for responding
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All great points for everything. Loosing space in the cab of a class C all depends on how you use it or don't use it. Since we travel with dogs that space is used by them. Also can be used as storage when sitting still. Just pit a board on the seats and tada storage. Its all either relevant or not that cab area. In all the years we traveled it was never am issue the cab area. We have always traveled with no less then 6 dogs, crates and gear. Never felt cramped or lack of space. Top bunk was great storage for the dogs and whole on trips with them. Test drive both A and C. That should help with the decision process.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2004 Winnebago Minnie Ford E450. Love the reliability of Winnebago and Ford.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #18

I wish I could have a dog. Can't! I'm extremely allergic. You're right! Study and experience them, touch, feel, drive, stand in the shower (turn around), imagine cooking a meal, sit on the furniture, lay on the bed and whatever else I think of doing to get a feel for the rig. Just looked at (on YouTube) a Thor Axis and Thor Vegas 2014. A maybe. Thanks Bob and Shaz!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #19

Hi Sagamore,

I like Winnebago also. Everywhere online, they associate quality with that name. Decisions, Decisions. I wish I were brave enough to get an older rig. Could save me tons. I'm just gun shy about it because I want to do what I've waited my whole life to do. That's TRAVEL. I need to feel confident about the rig.

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #20

Phoenixx, we have a small (just under 28 ft) class A. We wanted a unit with a walk-around queen bed, and a real shower, not a "wet bath", and our driveway is 28 feet long I'm very comfortable driving our coach, I like the panoramic view. And, we have storage under the coach to spare, which can be very important for full-timing. We don't have a slide, as ours is an older coach, and we get by okay, but if it had a slide, at least for the dinette, it would be much more functional. The next coach will have slides.

We've never had a problem finding a camping spot, we usually have room to spare. We've been parked next to everything from a pop-up to a 45ft tag axle luxury coach, so length may not be as much as an issue as you think. Look at the parks in the areas you want to travel to so you get a better idea of what length restrictions you may run into.

I second the suggestion to rent before you buy, at least so you can figure out what you don't want. Good luck, and enjoy your hunting.

Mrs.M
Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #21

Some C's do have front seats that swivel around. Can make a big difference in how it feels.

You might want to look at Bornfree's and Lazy Daze C's. New or used, you'll see and recognize quality.

And you might want to check out the Coachman Prism 24G. (also a C)

Just my opinions.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #22

We are on our second C and looking at maybe an A but probably another C. Hard learned lessons:

Rig must be easy to use with slides in or out. - One does not want to put out the slide for lunch or pulling a Walmart.

Line of sight to the TV must be comfortable so the one's in the over cab are questionable.

Sit on the toilet and stand in the shower. If you don't fit you will not be comfortable.

check the storage - we found we want usable hanging space for clothes, that is why we may be going to #3.

Look for a second usable place for a computer or workspace. Doing everything at the dining table is a hassle. OTOH bedroom dressing tables seem to be going away...

If you are someone who wants a workspace do not discount the bunkhouse layouts. If they do not hide a water tank or similar the bunks could become a desk and storage.

The C vs A comfort thing is real, go with what you are comfortable with. You will get a Ford or Chevy chassis made by the one of a few suppliers. The house is the difference. Unless you have a strong preference forget about it. There are often deals on lightly used 1 or 2 year old units. Look around. What suits you may not have suited somebody else. OTOH it seems most of the builders are using the same sources for much of the house. With a C you will not get a lot of the troublesome system enhancements you read about as problem sources. You will also not get things like power leveling jacks but you probably will not miss them. A couple of pieces of 2x12 go a long way. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #23

Mrs. M., You said, "we have a small (just under 28 ft) class A. We wanted a unit with a walk-around queen bed, and a real shower, not a "wet bath", and our driveway is 28 feet long."

That's what I want. Only, there has to be a headboard. And it has to be a four season vehicle ( I guess that means better insulated.)

Could you please tell me the name of your home so I can take a look?

Thanks much.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #24

If you find what you want but don't seriously consider it because it just doesn't have a headboard like you want, you can easily but a nice piece of wood, stain it and use a heavy glue or screws to attach it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #25

Nothermark and Everyone,

You've given me a lot food for thought. Since I'll be solo, I figure any space set aside for a second person could be for a computer, prayer space, or any other thing I'd like.

Nothermark, You talked about the troublesome system components absent in the C. That's critical information for me. I want as few problems as are possible. 2X12? Okay, that's another class. I don't have to have fancy; I just want reliable.

Like built homes, I always say the older homes are better built than spit-&-paper (my grandfather called newer homes that). I think that might be true for INSIDE RVs too. Some of the drawers, sinks-toilets and such, look really cheap.

My concern is the vehicle's seal and under hood business. Please know, I am learning as I go.

I appreciate each of you for taking time to respond to and teach me. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #26

Two gypsies, Thanks for your thoughts.

Absolutely,and I actually had decided to do that if everything else fit.

Thing is, my focus is also on the window drafts. Is it toasty with windows in the bedroom? Or, do you have to put your head under tons of cover. I would like the option of being in cold areas while fulltiming? I need a four season rig (whatever that precisely means, beyond insulation). Any advice, anyone?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #27

We have a Rexhall Vision. It is well insulated, but doesn't have heated bays. Rexhall doesn't make Visions anymore, I don't think they make coaches this small anymore, either, but you can occasionally find one for sale.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #28

I appreciate you, Mrs. M; I think I may look at lightly used rigs.

Good morning.
Phoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, fulltime