Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Which state do we use for residency?

Hey folks, been meaning to ask this for a while but now it's 'getting real'.

We are about to embark on our FIRST of many 'Snow Bird" migrations.

We used to own a home here in Spokane, WA but sold that August 2019 and have been living in our RV since.

We purchased an RV site in Outdoor Resorts down in Melbourne Beach, FL so in my head I am assuming we will have to register as a Florida resident once we get down there in the end of October or beginning of November.

So first off, is that correct? If the only place we own property is Florida, then that's where we legally have to claim residency, right?

My bigger questions is in regards to where we should vote, but let's get the 1st part figured out.

I await your response, and thank you.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

The one you pay taxes in.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

Just because you biught the RV there does not mean you have to register there. Having said that FL does seem to be popular for full timers. TX, and SD are also popular. I would look at where your health insurance will cover you. I have read that SD has very limited options for supplimemtal medicare coverage.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #4

Owning property in a state does not mean you must register there. Living in a state more than half a year does mean that. You should compare the costs of registering your vehicle, income tax rates (both zero), health insurance costs and other expenses. I see WA is listed as a high tax rate state so other taxes like sales taxes must make up the difference. In the end where you vote is probably where you pay taxes.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Escapees are a good place to start with information. The big 3 for domicile are TX FL and SD. That said your “domicile” is where you say it is and have your drivers license, etc. it just has to be someplace you intend to land eventually.. and nothing says that won’t change.
All that and Florida is a good place for many.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
The big 3 for domicile are TX FL and SD.
If you're under 65 and need to buy your own health insurance, then FL is the state to domicile in because of the availability of nationwide health plans.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Having no "home" in the US we use Florida. No income tax, reasonable sales tax, and cheap vehicle registrations. We have our Driver's lic and voter reg there. We are using ST. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, FL
and have had no problems over the last 7 years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The more popular sites to establish full time residency are Texas, Florida, and South Dakota due to there being no state income tax, no personal property tax on the RV, lower yearly registration fees and reasonable insurance cost.

https://www.escapees.com/?s=domicle

Here is a link on the Escapees site on establishing your domicile.

We have been Escapees members for about 8 years and it is a great group. Well worth the membership and they have a mail forwarding system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

Nothing against Texas, but no one is mentioning that they, have a vehicle yearly inspection, and emissions on gas only, so far. One needs to have the passed paper work before getting redistration/s
That being mentions, also, One can do redistrations if out of state without said inspection, but, soon as one hits Texas, one needs to get inspected.
This is why I chose South Dakota.
SD is also good for if one wants a gun permit, and if one takes an advanced program once, one gets another 8 states on there permit.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
Nothing against Texas, but no one is mentioning that they, have a vehicle yearly inspection, and emissions on gas only, so far. One needs to have the passed paper work before getting redistration/s
That being mentions, also, One can do redistrations if out of state without said inspection, but, soon as one hits Texas, one needs to get inspected.
This is why I chose South Dakota.
SD is also good for if one wants a gun permit, and if one takes an advanced program once, one gets another 8 states on there permit.
If you live outside of the metro area in Texas, there is no emission testing. Most full timers 'live' in Livingston because they use Escapees. So you went to SD because you were afraid your rig couldn't pass a 5 minute safety check of lights, brakes, horn? Really?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own S&Bs and other property in both WA and TX. My property taxes are less in WA. TX .022 WA .009. Registration of vehicles is less. The DW doesn't need to get a class B license to drive our over 26K GVW Motorhome. The sales tax is almost equal 1/4% less in TX. Tax on a new RV in TX is better, but we are not shopping.

TX accepts WA CC permit, WA does not accept TX.

Spend about equal time in each state, minus the traveling.

We vote in WA., WA plates on vehicles.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #12

We chose SD for various reasons even though DW and I lived in FL 30+ years.

You do not need to use property ownership as the reason to domicile there unless you want to.

When I was researching this here is what I learned:

-Few states have clear requirements on what makes you a resident and those that do often have contradictory requirements.
-Pick the best state that meets your needs. Don’t overthink it.

And the biggest lesson:

No one cares where you domicile! The only problems folks have is with the taxman. If your due taxes are paid no one cares.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If you live outside of the metro area in Texas, there is no emission testing. Most full timers 'live' in Livingston because they use Escapees. So you went to SD because you were afraid your rig couldn't pass a 5 minute safety check of lights, brakes, horn? Really?
NOPE, I did it for the freedom from the man. 24 years in NH, had to do inspections, 9 years in PA, had to do inspections. Why do I want to waist my time and $40 or more dolars to have someone rip the tires off my truck and check the breaks, when I can check them when I rotate them.
(Horn, breaks and lights, check, diesel emissions stuff, uuummmmm, fell off. )
ALSO, PA one was soposed to inspect any trailer with breaks., every year.
I didn't go to SD, I chose it as a domicile adds. Its simple, I go online, pay with credit card, for truck, camper, bike, boat, and they mail me new redg's and tags, they send it to my po box, I have it forwarded, and sign and install tags, no inspections.
Ill be headed to TX for the winter in 14 days, with my SD plates, and no sticker on my window.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
NOPE, I did it for the freedom from the man. 24 years in NH, had to do inspections, 9 years in PA, had to do inspections. Why do I want to waist my time and $40 or more dolars to have someone rip the tires off my truck and check the breaks, when I can check them when I rotate them.
(Horn, breaks and lights, check, diesel emissions stuff, uuummmmm, fell off. )
ALSO, PA one was soposed to inspect any trailer with breaks., every year.
I didn't go to SD, I chose it as a domicile adds. Its simple, I go online, pay with credit card, for truck, camper, bike, boat, and they mail me new redg's and tags, they send it to my po box, I have it forwarded, and sign and install tags, no inspections.
Ill be headed to TX for the winter in 14 days, with my SD plates, and no sticker on my window.
So, you know nothing about Texas inspections but decided to go by other states and ruled them out. OK. No, they don't pull the tires to check the brakes. The check is drive it around to the back and stop, check the horn (honk), check the lights (including clearance lights), verify the VIN number and you are done. No emission tests on diesels, and none if you are in a rural area like Livingston for gas vehicles. And if you are out of state - you don't get it done until you come back in the state. We know people who are on their second vehicle that has NEVER been in the state.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote