Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Why is RV salesman discouraging me from getting dual pane windows?

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 5th wheel toy hauler. One of the options we're not sure of is dual pane windows. We had three different salesmen ask us why we would want dual pane windows and all three told us the windows only increased the "R" value by 1. Both of us felt like they did not want to sell the dual pane windows for some reason.

My question is, as a full timer, do you have dual pane windows or do you wish you had dual pane windows? Is there really a benefit to having them?

thanks
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are full timers, have been in a lot of cold weather, some not by choice. We have dual pane windows and wouldn't be without them. No idea why the sales staff would discourage you. After all it's your money and being a full timers, your home.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

Have ordered them on my last three RVs. Mostly to reduce condensation on the inside. They have done that. Otherwise it runs down the walls creating problems. I haven’t seen any downside other than cost and maybe weight.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Right now in my coach it is 19 degrees outside and 72 in here. The inner pane on the dual pane side window is 52 degrees while the inside of the windshield is 41 degrees. The winshield is still 2 pieces of glass with a plastic film in between so imagine how much colder it would be as a single pane. RV walls are so thin it doesn't take much to tip the scales so if you will be camping in hot or cold weather get the dual panes.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewag View Post
We are full timers, have been in a lot of cold weather, some not by choice. We have dual pane windows and wouldn't be without them. No idea why the sales staff would discourage you. After all it's your money and being a full timers, your home.

What he said you need them
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 5th wheel toy hauler. One of the options we're not sure of is dual pane windows. We had three different salesmen ask us why we would want dual pane windows and all three told us the windows only increased the "R" value by 1. Both of us felt like they did not want to sell the dual pane windows for some reason.

My question is, as a full timer, do you have dual pane windows or do you wish you had dual pane windows? Is there really a benefit to having them?

thanks
The reason is you are shopping in Florida and about all they have on the lot is RVs with single pane windows.
As fulltimers we would really struggle to spend winters anywhere but Florida and the desert Southwest without double paned windows. Place the back of your hand right now on one of our double paned windows and then place it on the inside of our windshield. You will be amazed at the temperature differential.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Dual pane windows also block some noise vs. single pane, another advantage. Only Cons I can give are sometimes the seal between outer and inner glass fails and they are no longer clear to look thru.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Dual pane windows also block some noise vs. single pane, another advantage. Only Cons I can give are sometimes they seal between outer and inner glass fails and they are no longer clear to look thru.
Yup, have seen that happen a lot. Check the warrenty when you are buying them. Usually they have a pretty good warrenty. I have an RV repair buddy who has replaced tons of them, almost all under warrenty. I did have a 2000 holiday rambler that the front drivers window fogged. Made it difficult to see the mirror. Normally it was fine in the morning, but after sun hit it would fog.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #9

What if you told the dealer that the dual pane windows have twice the R-value of single pane windows? R-value for single pane is ~1, for dual pane it is ~2. As mentioned, they reduce noise and can also reduce heating and cooling costs by up to 24%. If you were looking at 2 rigs with ceiling insulation ratings of 15 v 16, it wouldn’t be a significant difference.

To answer your title question, I’d say they don’t have a unit with dual pane windows on the lot to sell, so they’re trying to convince you to buy the one they have.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
...To answer your title question, I’d say they don’t have a unit with dual pane windows on the lot to sell, so they’re trying to convince you to buy the one they have.
Exactly THAT!
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
To answer your title question, I’d say they don’t have a unit with dual pane windows on the lot to sell, so they’re trying to convince you to buy the one they have.
That was my first thought.

Get dual pane windows!! You won't regret it - both for heat and cold.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #12

We have had them in last 2 units and wouldn't be without them.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had with and without. Makes a big difference. Get them, imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #14

We don't have dual pane windows in our unit but the wife is starting to ask if we should replace the windows we have with dual pane.
Honestly we did not even consider them when we bought because we seen what we wanted sitting on a lot and bought it. The dealer we had in no way try to push anything on us or try to stop us from getting what we wanted added or changed. We just did not even think about dual pane windows.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, wind, window