Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #43

Nope wont buy or rent a house again. Been full timing 7 years love it. House is a money pit you never own. Always will have property taxes.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Would we buy a house again?
Just did. We bought a port home in the Rio Grand Valley in the tip of Texas. We still consider ourselves fulltimers as we will only stay there during the coldest months and we wanted a place we could invite our children and grandchildren to visit us during the winter. We bought this in an rv community, and association fees takes care of yard work.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We've been full time for two years in a 45' motorhome and love it. Sold our 6000+ sqft home with indoor pool and 3/4 mile driveway 2 years ago. Got rid of everything and don't ever plan to buy another house. Just wish we'd started full time in the RV 10 years sooner.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #46

Never we downsized then downsized again then the storage building burned down to finish the rest off. In a small home now but not happy looking at a 60 foot houseboat for the summers and the 5er for winter they can be put about 100 yards apart.

To Add we were going to buy again but the bank pulled a fast one and when we walked out we knew that was the end. We put the proceeds from the sale of our homes into an investment account and make enough to enjoy life without mowing lawn every other day.

The bank lying to us was a major turning point telling us we don't need the headache. The property tax estimate was 1/4 of what it really was but they tried to hide it. I was not paying a grand a month to keep the county in new patrol cars.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #47

I don't plan on selling my home. I like to play tennis and tennis is best played with tennis players having similar skill levels.

One day I may find a location I like better and then I will sell and buy. If you own your home outright, as I do, there is no reason to sell it and there is always the option of renting it out.

Ones health may change so it is always good to at least retain enough equity to buy a small home again in a retirement community. Obviously, this is a very personal question.

I also plan to continue traveling overseas, sometimes with extended stay. I really don't see myself living in an rv full time or limiting myself to locations where an rv can go, and an rv can always be put in storage, just having someone maintain the home.

Once someone has spent some time overseas in good locations, the rv is simply another option among many. The cost per month, in a lot of great overseas locations is about $1,500 to $2,500 a month. Some examples are Cozumel, Equador, Panama, Thailand, Vietnam, Belize, Costa Rica, Italy, Argentina, France, Nicaragua, Portugal, Spain, and Australia.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #48

Never say never

Here is where I found our motorhome. The dude died in the ER from a sudden heart attack at age 56. The widow sold their planned retirement home as well. None of us know what the future holds. Best to have a plan B, because RVs and their baths are not wheel chair friendly. We are fulltimers, but this "until the day we die" bravado is not realistic. The used RV dealers in Phoenix are loaded with units consigned to them by the survivors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	81217  
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #49

We are planning on selling the sticks/bricks in 2015. We will probably buy a different coach sometime during 2015/2016. We have no specific exit plan other than I don't ever want to own another sticks/bricks. Our current sticks/bricks is our 8th ... some were new and some pre-owned ... all are a PITA is one way or another. Bah Humbug

Heading for the Keys day after tomorrow
Old 12-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
....but this "until the day we die" bravado is not realistic.
One can hope... In fact life without hope is not worth living.

No more houses for us. Plan B... If you can't afford to divest of what you have and combine that with other funds and set up a new life right there on spot - any spot at any time - having a house somewhere is as good a plan B as any. But a house is not the only plan B.

I hope everyone lives their dream, whatever it may be, and that they do it their way with bravado and gusto!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Will you eventually buy a home again?

Good for you Bruce. Will you still be down there mid January?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #52

Well Flagship1, since you've been fulltiming for all of 40 days so far...we'll see what tune you be whistling a few years down the road.

I have met a number of fulltime RVers in very dire situations. Not everybody has the resources to just, as you put it, set up a new life. A real common scenario is the DH either croaks or leaves the DW in the RV...in the middle of nowhere. I have also seen where the DW ends up disabled and unable to be hoisted back into the RV. I have seen the widow DW stuck in the RV for years, unable to drive it and unable to sell it and unable to buy...or rent...a S&B, but still making payments on the RV.

As far as hope goes, it's always better to have hope in your soul than soap in your.....
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
We live on the side of a mountain in a house that is now much too big for us. Winters are hard, the driveway is much too long, and the maintenance never stops. The kids are gone and so are their tree forts and rope swings. Alas ... we have decided to sell and move into a condo or townhome.

BUT [like many of you] ... between selling the house and buying the condo we are going to fulltime in the MH for [a few] years. The expansive search for the condo or townhome will be our NEXT BIG ADVENTURE together. In the process we are greatly looking forward to volunteering here-and-there in our wonderfully beautiful country.

We are uber planners, but for this we we have no timeline and no bias. We are still young -- we could find "it" in 2 years or in 10 years -- we may end up back up here in Colorado or down in Anytown, USA -- it doesn't really matter to us. We want all of our options to be open. We'll know where our new home is to be when we get there.

<SIGH> ...Only 39 more Mondays until we can start!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Good for you Bruce. Will you still be down there mid January?

Nope ... we are coming back to Vero Beach around 12/27 ... then over to the Tampa Show in mid-January ... then ??

Meanwhile, I'm contributing to eBay's profits by selling "stuff" (OK, I get something, too). Moving forward though
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Well Flagship1, since you've been fulltiming for all of 40 days so far...we'll see what tune you be whistling a few years down the road.

I have met a number of fulltime RVers in very dire situations. Not everybody has the resources to just, as you put it, set up a new life. A real common scenario is the DH either croaks or leaves the DW in the RV...in the middle of nowhere. I have also seen where the DW ends up disabled and unable to be hoisted back into the RV. I have seen the widow DW stuck in the RV for years, unable to drive it and unable to sell it and unable to buy...or rent...a S&B, but still making payments on the RV.

As far as hope goes, it's always better to have hope in your soul than soap in your.....
Air Baron -
I have pretty much documented my venture into full time elsewhere on the forum so need to do so here. However, I have not disclosed the following in any detail on the forum as it seems to me to be largly irrelevant. We all have our stories and mine is nothing special. But it it may be helpful to some.

So lets play "What's the worst that could happen?" Let's say for the sake of argument its something small like loosing a leg in a terrible accident. What to do? Oh what to do?

Below is picture of my fat, dumb, and happy one legged self just the other day. Lost my leg when I was 21. Will be 60 this month.

I have snow skied on 1 leg - hiked - back packed - swam in the ocean - owned a bass boat - put 140k miles on B-van seeing the country all on one leg or with a prosthetic. I have buried 2 children who died accidently as teenagers 16 years years apart. My six aunts and uncles and parents are all gone. I broke my hip snow skiing - and once falling off my prosthetic. I had a disc fall apart in my neck and on and on. The notion that having a house made any of that easier is just beyond me.

We all need our safety nets and to plan for the unexpected. But there is no right or wrong when it comes to keeping the house. And as John Lennon said "Life is what happens while your busy making other plans." So forewarned is fore armed. Be ready for anything.

As for the tune I'll be whistling. It's the same tune I have been signing all my life. Don't miss what you don't have. And the journey is the destination.

And since retiring 10/17 and in the first 40 odd days of full time living - I am eating better - sleeping better - feeling better and having more fun than a barrel of monkeys. We'll see what happens - but since we refused to go full time owing money - my wife won't be stuck with a underwater coach nobody will buy. If I die she could abandon it and execute her plan, her way, with bravado and gusto.

I am living proof that if you lost a leg you could do it. I'll bet there are others with similar or more "serious" situations making it work. Some with a house and some without.

You are right though - bad things happen to good people. And at some point we all have to hang up our skates. And for some that includes getting old and frail enough that the house becomes a burdon and has to go. I just hope nobody dies and leaves me a house.

And help me out here. Where do you put your soap? I don't get out much and have not heard that witty colloquialism???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418700646485.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	81235  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The reason so many have to have a "plan" is they planned poorly to begin with. If someone buys a coach, sells their s&b to get the down payment, then has 20 years of payments, they are planning to fail.
The p!an should be for both you and your spouse being able to handle the what ifs. As far as I am concerned anyone owning their home as a backup plan is not a "fulltimer". Yes they maybe living the lifestyle, but they have one foot in the house(grave as I call it).

I'm severely disabled, my wife knows I could die tomorrow, but still hopes for adventure.
In case I do, she could hire someone to transport it back to Ohio, put it up for sale, and either buy something small she can drive around, or get an apartment somewhere near her family. She will be glad for the memories and be happy with the future without a home. Like Suzy Orman says, people first, then money, then " things".
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent