Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #57

flaggship1: You're an inspiration to all full-timers. In our 16 years of doing so we have seen that full-timers can indeed, overcome anything if that's what we really want. There are ways to do everything you would do in a stick house.

Enjoy your new lifestyle. You're geared to succeed!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #58

Well put, as usual flaggship1. You know my story. Cruising boat for ten years, driving the rainbow xxx years!! Don't dream your life, live your dream. We'll all be dead for a long time.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #59

Will you eventually buy a home again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Well Flagship1, since you've been fulltiming for all of 40 days so far...we'll see what tune you be whistling a few years down the road.

I have met a number of fulltime RVers in very dire situations. Not everybody has the resources to just, as you put it, set up a new life. A real common scenario is the DH either croaks or leaves the DW in the RV...in the middle of nowhere. I have also seen where the DW ends up disabled and unable to be hoisted back into the RV. I have seen the widow DW stuck in the RV for years, unable to drive it and unable to sell it and unable to buy...or rent...a S&B, but still making payments on the RV.

As far as hope goes, it's always better to have hope in your soul than soap in your.....

Flaggship1 and Davdeb1 have stated things quite well, but I must provide 2c worth.
We dreamed of going fulltume for decades and are into our 3rd year.
Our blog has 62 entries about just the highlights so far, but is over 20 entries behind because of being so busy!
Both of us have health issues, but plod on from one exciting Journey to another with great joy! This joy reaches far beyond the confines of a sedentary life, even it it means devices and gizmos to get us out and about.
We will travel until we cannot or change our minds, and then rent so we can MOVE. Saddling up to the responsibilities of a house, financially and physically, is simply too taxing to contemplate in the late stage of life.
If the check for the funeral of the last one bounces, the Journey has been completed according to plan.
Starting out debt free and letting things happen in a mostly random fashion while never having a regret has worked well for us. If we had approached this life planning for all possible contingencies, it would have never begun. And we know many that have "what iffed" until the boat left without them.
We discovered many years before retirement that the best plan is most often NO PLAN. Doing so in a fearless and haphazard manner provides greater joy, in our opinion.
YMMV
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
flaggship1: You're an inspiration to all full-timers. In our 16 years of doing so we have seen that full-timers can indeed, overcome anything if that's what we really want. There are ways to do everything you would do in a stick house.

Enjoy your new lifestyle. You're geared to succeed!
Twogypsies - I was taught to accept a compliment, even if it's one that makes you uncomfortable, and to reply with thanks. So thank you. But the truth is, I am not an inspiration. In fact as amputees go these days I'm pretty much a schlock. Lol.

If I or anyone were to lose a limb today - on the road or elsewhere - they would quickly be on an established rehab program and on a path to ambulatory life with a prosthesis. The path I took years ago.

After 22 years at a desk job I was becoming, fat, dumb and happy. I didn't stop doing things but I slowed down and grew tired of having new legs built to fit my growing size. I was becoming a couch potato and realized I was loosing myself to work. So the plan was made and put into action. I retired with 27 years on the job.

I knew that I needed a change and that it had to be on my terms. Hence the letting go of things and the job and retiring early. I have always been fair at planning and execution so I created our 5 year plan to financial freedom and an active life angling toward improved health and prosthetics. Or at least having fun and enjoying life on the road. I took inspiration from many here on this forum to whom I owe much.

Like everyyone else, I have no idea how things will turn out but I learned long ago that you can't let the life you have or the fear of life ahead keep you from moving forward to life you dream of.

As for the fear and trepidation of bad days ahead, I remember waking up one day in the hospital - 21 years old and hurt and telling the surgeon - "It's just not fair. This shouldn't have happened to me." To which he replied, "Who ever told you life was fair?" Life is not fair but in this day and age very few of us are eaten by wild animals.

So hear I am getting myself healthy - grabbing for the brass ring. Anyone that knows me, knows that I will do the best I can and as life unfolds, I will adapt - as I say these days - mutate to the next rainbow. And I will do it with bravado. Not inspirational, merely logical and realistic for me. Others would say, humbug, hang it up, there's trouble ahead. You can't do that. To them I say pfft.

The reason I have been reluctant to tell this side of my story here is that it is truly not relevant - to me it is just life - and it's personal - and not really anyone's business. But sometimes you just have take people by the scruff of the neck and say - get outta here with that nonsense. Life is for the living and your either busy living or dying. Wake up and live.

Finally - I owe much of my happiness to the most wonderful woman in the world. Annie loves the outdoors and the rv and camping life. But as much as she loves going, seeing and doing, she would not be living this dream had we not met. I more than likely would be and so it's been great having someone to dream and plan with and to make this happen. I love seeing her smile and her joy in each new adventure.

So Annie - well shortly after we met - I took off on a 21 day trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone in the old B-van. I got there and gave her a call and said - why don't I fly you to Jackson Hole and you come along for the ride. No strings attached. She said ok. She was hooked - not so much on me as on the lifestyle. That was 16 years ago and we've been together ever since.

So TMI and who cares - but to those who know all the pitfalls and potential problems I say - that's great. You need to know those things - but plan for them - don't let them freeze you in your tracks. Keep moving and keep going. And if you want a house - have one. But if you play your cards right - you will be able to buy a house when and if you need one. I suspect no one needs one once they have let it go and spent time on the road. You may want one or need some form of brick and mortar but that's different.

So I just spent the last hour and half watching a crew of 5 wash and wax Bonita Bounder and rambling away here. She looks happy to be clean again and I'm thinking - just two months ago I would have been in front of my computer working.

It is so nice to be out on the rainbow letting the journey be the destination!

Have fun folks.
RVM2
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #61

It is a real challenge to get the soap out of my a.. these days, with so many of these "just go do it" admonitions and "what else can happen."

Frankly, it doesn't matter as we each of us have our own lives to lead and our own screw ups to deal with and successes to enjoy.

The one thing about being alive is maintenance, paying bills, suffering, fun, memories good and bad, roads taken and not taken, family, and dreams...all with solid ownership of each or lack in what we have not been able.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #62

Will you eventually buy a home again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I don't plan on selling my home. I like to play tennis and tennis is best played with tennis players having similar skill levels.

One day I may find a location I like better and then I will sell and buy. If you own your home outright, as I do, there is no reason to sell it and there is always the option of renting it out.

Ones health may change so it is always good to at least retain enough equity to buy a small home again in a retirement community. Obviously, this is a very personal question.

I also plan to continue traveling overseas, sometimes with extended stay. I really don't see myself living in an rv full time or limiting myself to locations where an rv can go, and an rv can always be put in storage, just having someone maintain the home.

Once someone has spent some time overseas in good locations, the rv is simply another option among many. The cost per month, in a lot of great overseas locations is about $1,500 to $2,500 a month. Some examples are Cozumel, Equador, Panama, Thailand, Vietnam, Belize, Costa Rica, Italy, Argentina, France, Nicaragua, Portugal, Spain, and Australia.

Fulltiming is certainly not for everyone. Same goes for those that have lots of stuff. You are not fulltiming, so....stuff. And that is just fine!
We went thru the investiture, then divestiture. If everything you have is aboard, you have everything that has a purpose, and there is nothing to leave behind or tie you down or get in the way of any dream.
I had no time left for the stuff, and what we ain't got we don't need. Someone else is cleaning, housing, maintaining, cherishing the burden, and (maybe) using the stuff that no longer owed us anything.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #63

Destination?

Some people get in the RV, and go, figure out where and what they'll do as they go.

Some people have a planned route and itinerary down to the day and for some events the hour.

Finance part of this journey, including having an exit plan?

Some people live check to check, and have none to little reserves, no life insurance, no investments, and small Social Security ahead. No wills, trusts. They live as the financial wind blows.

Some people have extensive portfolios, life and long term care insurance, real estate holdings, larger Social Security ahead. They live with an ongoing adjusted/living financial plan, tuned as needed trusts. They set course, and adjust as they feel is required.

Sticks and Bricks home?

Some people have not home. No plan on buying a home in the future. Perhaps will rent. Perhaps will have a rental spot in an RV park for the long term. Maybe a COOP membership too.

Some people retained their home while traveling. Some people plan to purchase, or build their long term retirement home. Some may buy a condo/town home for the long term. Some may plan to do this in a few different locations, and live in multiple cities based upon the weather.

-----

IMO - Whatever floats your boat, is the way to go. I do have a problem (and gang, sure not saying anyone on this thread or this board is whom I'm referring to) with those that do not plan to take care of themselves, or plan with their spouses to have a financial road map ahead for a surviving spouse. Including what to do, if something happens to one or the other while traveling on the road. I see too many people in our society today - that only live for today - and then expect to be taken care of by others that have lived within their means, and planned financially for the future. I especially dislike having government stepping in and deciding that one person has too much money, and redirecting it to those that party as if there is no work in the AM.

As a general opinion, the majority of the fellow RV'ers I've met and talked to on the road, are stand up people.

I salute the free spirit, and lets get out and get going, can do attitude of many of my fellow board members, and other RV'ers we meet on the road.

Whatever your choice is on how you want to live your life today, and for in the future, best wishes to you all!!

As mentioned, no 'Right or Wrong' on this - and free choice to do it your way.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #64

Evergreen Owners Club
Anybody ever consider something like this?

Reunion Pointe - A Port Home Community
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Anybody ever consider something like this?

Reunion Pointe - A Port Home Community
Interesting concept. I'd like to have a smaller house that I could park an rv undercover with. Wonder what they are cost will be as well as the neighborhood. I would not look forward to a condo association arrangement though.

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And help me out here. Where do you put your soap? I don't get out much and have not heard that witty colloquialism???
Take a guess, but it is poetic and rhymes. Might not be where it is put, but where it sometimes settles. Really nothing witty about it at all.

Being fortunate enough to make it to senior citizenry comes with a price. We all have endured trials and tribulations...some more than others. Best wishes in your unencumbered travels.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #67

Flaggship1: Sorry, but in my book you're still an inspiration.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We have planted ourselves in the RGV for the winter. Come visit. We'll put something in the smoker and see what happens...
Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Tried to PM you but it won't let me. Happy holidays and hope to meet you one day.
Steve and Annie
Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my soapbox...

Some of this discussion has been directed to the question asked by the OP. Some of it has been a bit more personal and perhaps cynical/antagonistic.

Of course, there are significant numbers of readers that have the resources to do what they want, when they want and how they want. To them, this discussion is probably not something they will need to comment on. BTW...that isn't meant to insult those folks...wouldn't we all want to be in that kind of position anyway?

For Sandee and I we have left the question about buying a S&B home open to what the future might bring. We have no guarantees on anything and to predict with any absolute certainty what we will do would be presumptuous.

We have officially been FT for a tad over a year but we also moved into our MH about 6 months earlier as we made preps to sell our home. That doesn't qualify us for more than a seat at the table of this kind of discussion. It clearly doesn't qualify us to say what anyone should do.

For US, it will be a tight, financial squeeze to convert from our coach to a S&B at this time. You might say that we are semi-trapped. We made some choices that others might not agree with. We are not totally debt free but we don't live week to week either. We are capable of continuing to add to our retirement nest egg while both of us enjoy nice, not opulent, government pensions not contingent on the markets. We have a steady, predictable stream of income and very good medical benefits.

Why we decided to take a chance going FT is a short story. Both Sandee and I both wanted to retire where we had good health. To add to that my job was just getting unbearable.

With all that in mind we knew that until we either build up that additional nest egg or pay off our current debts that a transition back to a S&B will be a challenge.

Let's face it. To many looking to go FT, there is a romantic view of FTing that is often as much fancy as fact. Beyond the daily aspect of FTing and its multitude meanings, is the reality that it isn't for everyone. Also, we know that some folks get trapped in it.

I think it is naive to not consider some form of S&B as being an end state. It could be one of our choice or necessity. Some will find that perfect community to live out their days while others will be forced off the road due to health, family or financial reasons. Any of these factors can be spur of the moment or part of a larger plan.

In a perfect world Sandee and I would continue enjoying our travels and have good health to support our journey until the time of our choosing. However, we can not ignore that things can change in ways we can not predict. A very good friend of mine once said that his goal was to be on his journey until they day he drove up to the old folks home and turned over the keys. I like that vision but only time will tell.

In the end it isn't doesn't always end up as you plan. What does matter is that you make the most of what is offered to you and do everything possible to accept the opportunities and overcome the challenges that are placed in front of you.

Finally, it doesn't matter if one ends up in a S&B or roams the globe until the day they die. What does matter is that we find the most enjoyment in our journey from the cradle to the grave.

...Off my soap box.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent