Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Winter time heat

Hello everyone I have a class C 30ft the furnace is a 40,000 BTU I have not used it yet I will be picking it up in June I will be full-time Boon-docking my question is will I need something else to keep the unit and myself warm throughout the cold winters in the Northeast it has heated tanks would I need portable heaters electric blankets or will the furnace be enough?
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Portable electric heaters are good when you want to save on propane usage, and the campground does not meter your electricity.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
A small ceramic heater can reduce need for LP. How are your tanks heated? If they are enclosed and have a duct from the furnace blowing in the space, be aware that using electric heater might keep furnace from heating the tanks. It's a good idea to have a wireless thermometer or two so you can monitor wet bay space. In addition, you might want to curtain off cab and perhaps insulate windows for winter in NE.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
Hello everyone I have a class C 30ft the furnace is a 40,000 BTU I have not used it yet I will be picking it up in June I will be full-time Boon-docking my question is will I need something else to keep the unit and myself warm throughout the cold winters in the Northeast it has heated tanks would I need portable heaters electric blankets or will the furnace be enough?
Cola ny
What temps can be expected in the Northeast where you will be boondocking?
IMO few RVs will keep you "warm throughout the cold winters" if the "cold winters" are below freezing for any length of time, (unless you are boondocking in a heated building).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Yes my tanks are enclosed and heated from the furnace
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Cola ny
What temps can be expected in the Northeast where you will be boondocking?
IMO few RVs will keep you "warm throughout the cold winters" if the "cold winters" are below freezing for any length of time, (unless you are boondocking in a heated building).
Mel
'96 Safari

You know typical New York weather
Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Long Island, NY, Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY, or Plattsburgh NY? Expecting comfort and full use of plumbing in some of those areas through out the winter is a stretch. In addition, RVs are so small, humidity and moisture damage can be an issue in a 43' Class A, let alone a C.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Cola ny
I actually DO NOT know!
And I no longer care, (sorry for asking).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boondocking would indicate no electric hookup. Be prepaired to use large amounts of LP and daily running of the genny to charge the batteries.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

If your attempting to live off grid during the winter, expect 100 to 150 dollars a week for fuel. This past winter we lived in our fiver in the mild pacific northwest. We used anywhere from 15 to 22 gallons of propane a week in addition to running two electric heaters 24/7. No matter what these things are poorly insulated and there is virtually no way to keep them warm except to move far south for the winter.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I do a lot of cold weather camping, bough a 1500 watts fireplace heater and I usualy set my RV furnace to 67-68 at night ther furnace might start 2 or 3 times during the night, but if you are doing some boondocking you will be relying mostly on your furnace, when running your generator you could used your 1500 watts heater or you could also buy a Coleman lp radiant heater.
Mike
Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
or you could also buy a Coleman lp radiant heater.
Mike
I'd never use one in an enclosed RV. Coleman instructions for the smallest LP heater cautions DON'T USE WHILE SLEEPING and HAVE A WINDOW OPEN AT LEAST 6 SQ. INCHES WHEN USING. In addition, a catalytic heater is going to produce water and CO as byproducts. One is bad for your RV (except in arid climates -- not NY) the other is deadly to humans.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd never use one in an enclosed RV. Coleman instructions for the smallest LP heater cautions DON'T USE WHILE SLEEPING and HAVE A WINDOW OPEN AT LEAST 6 SQ. INCHES WHEN USING. In addition, a catalytic heater is going to produce water and CO as byproducts. One is bad for your RV (except in arid climates -- not NY) the other is deadly to humans.
Of course you have to follow safety instruction for this type of product, good point BFlinn. :thumbup:
Old 04-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Long Island, NY, Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY, or Plattsburgh NY? Expecting comfort and full use of plumbing in some of those areas through out the winter is a stretch. In addition, RVs are so small, humidity and moisture damage can be an issue in a 43' Class A, let alone a C.

Well I'm committed now come August I will be full timing on long island New York

Tags
winter