Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
It sounds like BTU to watt calculators aren't very accurate. Or I did it wrong, or both
Maybe wrong approach...
BTUs are how much heat (energy) the AC removes in a certain amount of time. Because the AC is just moving that energy from one place to another, it can do that using a smaller amount of energy.
It's quite possible for an AC to use 1.5kW of electricity to move 15kW of heat.
The EER you see on an AC is a measure of the ratio between heat removed and energy used to move that heat.

I have a question: on our first long trip, we spent a week in Kerrville TX June 2018. In order to camp near other members of our motorcycle club, we chose a spot with 30A service.
Because we didn't know any better, we ran both ACs during the days, with outside temperatures going into the mid/high 90s.
I do not remember tripping the breaker... The coach was sure nice and comfy every day when we returned. :-)

How do we get away with this?
JorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #44

A 3600 watt generator will run 1 AC and the microwave, add in the 1900 watts and the second AC is no problem.

That's why they install 5500 watt generators.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeS View Post
I have a question: on our first long trip, we spent a week in Kerrville TX June 2018. In order to camp near other members of our motorcycle club, we chose a spot with 30A service.
Because we didn't know any better, we ran both ACs during the days, with outside temperatures going into the mid/high 90s.
I do not remember tripping the breaker... The coach was sure nice and comfy every day when we returned. :-)

By the skin of your teeth, I would say.

Some of the Dometics show FLA as low as 15A for 13,500 Btu/hr (a little less for 11k units), but that's not necessarily what they will actually draw. I don't know about A/C units specifically, but many motorized loads actually draw a little less than the nameplate value, and I suspect that's not an accident.

Just checked Coleman - the Mach 10 shows 11.6A cooling for 11,500 Btu/hr and 14.4A for the 15kBtu/hr models, so those could be well under 30A for the two.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
in my experience, RV Park or home current can start AC and run a bit more than most Gennys of an equal circuit for ex 30A..

My old 15K AC when running on low fan with ful cold.. chugs around 13 amps.. 1480watts.. when the compresser cycles i see it spike 18-20A,, I just tested this today.. Only becasue by garage power is "weak" I have a temporary 14/3 wire run 250ft to feed my panel// LONG story it is a TEMP..
Any way I can run that AC on a 20amp breaker.. I also watched my amprobe meters and fluke .. when AC copm cycles.. I get 21A at panel and volt drop to 108 for a sec... I did dont run it too long,, 14/3 did not even get warm but on idle I have 120V,, with AC on running 114-115.. that long run kills it..

ANY WAY it works AC,, NOW I get a Ryobi 2200.. Running full.. 1800watt run.. If I start AC on fan then drop in temp.. she holds , BUT if I turn temp comtrol, kill comp and force a restart,, the Ryobi fails..

I did the same with my Honda 3000,, It works but only with eco OFF..
MY knock off 3500 Greenpower.. It will run AC from ECO but once if i keep forcing the compressor restarts it rather be off ECO,, it fails occasionally..
I also fired the microwave it is a 1200 watt... 1 minute is ran but 3500 was screaming hard..

Itried it with honda she tripped..

Genny power out put is a tad different from Service power...

OH by the way the ONAN4000 onboard, will handle the AC on high fan,, TV on , Fridge on and a burst from microwave,, it bunkered down, shook then climbed RPM.. I looked and we had 27.3 AMP,, 113V 3440RPM... I may be able to tweek carb and govener to get RPM up a bit..but I was pushing it ..

Just some useless info I know..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Maybe wrong approach...
BTUs are how much heat (energy) the AC removes in a certain amount of time. Because the AC is just moving that energy from one place to another, it can do that using a smaller amount of energy.
It's quite possible for an AC to use 1.5kW of electricity to move 15kW of heat.
The EER you see on an AC is a measure of the ratio between heat removed and energy used to move that heat.

What size are both units. It is 1990, are you sure it does not have soft start? or possibly some energy management system? If none of the above, next time you get a chance see if both compressors are actually running at the same time? If they are you have highly efficient startup compressors. I have 2 13.5btus, my power management system knows if I only have 20 or 30amp services and will control the 2nd AC from trying to start, unless I insist to do some damage
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #48

Wont debate the numbers but think we can/should agree that running 2 AC's will push the "typical" 30 amp service to its limits.....the problem is that for a lot of campgrounds, the 30 amp pedestal plugs have been used and abused over the years [probably from RVs using two AC's], so poor contact at the plug could raise amps and reduce volts....regardless, you always need to monitor volts when on 30 amp shore power, the breaker won't always protect you from yourself.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #49

Thanks a lot, Oldscout! Make me feel guilty :-(
I'll have to check how much current the ACs are actually pulling.
It's probably due to both compressors not during at the same time-

Dkoldman, I think the only per management they knew back then was the accelerator.

I've read about Soft Start, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one.

I've got decent meters, including peak- hold, so I should be able to capture the inrush for the compressors.
Live and learn. Thankfully, I got away with it with no here to the ACs.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Dkoldman, I think the only per management they knew back then was the accelerator. I've read about Soft Start, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one.
Well if your coach was made before they started using round wheels.... oh well I might be beating a dead horse ...
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #51

Quote:
I've got decent meters, including peak- hold, so I should be able to capture the inrush for the compressors.
Live and learn. Thankfully, I got away with it with no here to the ACs.

Thanks for the comments.

Unless you have custom designed a meter, you probably won't catch the initial inrush. Mateo, the engineer who has a couple of u-tube on the EZ-Start made one. The initial inrush value is only present for a nano-second or three... If you look at the motor on your compressor, it may have a LRA rating - that is the inital inrush amps.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #52

Round wheels... When?
Really, our Beast has none of the newer tech stuff like power management. On the 120V side, it's pretty much circuit breakers and wires and nothing else... simple old school stuff.

I'll have to look up those videos.

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #53

1000 watt generator will run mine. But it is a mini split
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Someone mentioned that no one boondocking will complain about a generator. Maybe not, but I have done some grumbling about other boondockers who run loud generators day and night.

Grumble.
That makes me want to bring up the comparison to "job site" type gens that are flat out loud. In comparison, the inverter generators run a lot quieter and can throttle down when use drops, like when AC is off.

They are all "too" loud when we want total peace and quiet.
StepandWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 PM   #55

Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Wont debate the numbers but think we can/should agree that running 2 AC's will push the "typical" 30 amp service to its limits.....the problem is that for a lot of campgrounds, the 30 amp pedestal plugs have been used and abused over the years [probably from RVs using two AC's], so poor contact at the plug could raise amps and reduce volts....regardless, you always need to monitor volts when on 30 amp shore power, the breaker won't always protect you from yourself.....
I've monitored some discussions in forums where 30 amp RV owners use the 50 amp pedestal connector and an adapter to get "better"- or at least more "reliable" - 30 amp power for their RVs.

This seems to make sense as maybe a way to get full(er) power on hookups in a 30 amp rig.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote