Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I've monitored some discussions in forums where 30 amp RV owners use the 50 amp pedestal connector and an adapter to get "better"- or at least more "reliable" - 30 amp power for their RVs.

This seems to make sense as maybe a way to get full(er) power on hookups in a 30 amp rig.

While camping at a very nice park in Kentucky on a hot July day, we were experiencing low voltage. I went to the office to talk about it. The clerk was explaining to the lady ahead of me that he could sell her a 50-30 dog bone which she could return the next day for a full refund, explaining that their 50 amp service didn't have the brownout issue and that would solve her problem. She was arguing that she should just be able to "borrow" the dog bone...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
While camping at a very nice park in Kentucky on a hot July day, we were experiencing low voltage. I went to the office to talk about it. The clerk was explaining to the lady ahead of me that he could sell her a 50-30 dog bone which she could return the next day for a full refund, explaining that their 50 amp service didn't have the brownout issue and that would solve her problem. She was arguing that she should just be able to "borrow" the dog bone...
Well what happened? Did she pay, borrow or did you offer to pay for her?

I got a dog bone for every possible occasion for my rig plus a special one that is for my Portable 30 amp generator to my rig. I don't carry my portable generator, so I primarily only use it when home to put a heavy load on the generator when running to keep carburetor clean. When at home, I alternate between the 20amp, 30amp & 50amp services.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Well what happened? Did she pay, borrow or did you offer to pay for her?

Don't know. I jumped out of line and hooked up to the 50 amp using my dog bone. Needed to get the DW cooled off...
Old 07-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I've monitored some discussions in forums where 30 amp RV owners use the 50 amp pedestal connector and an adapter to get "better"- or at least more "reliable" - 30 amp power for their RVs.

This seems to make sense as maybe a way to get full(er) power on hookups in a 30 amp rig.
An acquaintance has two 50a-30a dogbones that he built himself. One ties the 30 amp hot wire to L1, the other to L2. When he first pulls into a spot he measures the L1 and L2 voltage at the pedestal, and uses the appropriate dogbone for the higher voltage.

Mike
Old 07-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
An acquaintance has two 50a-30a dogbones that he built himself. One ties the 30 amp hot wire to L1, the other to L2. When he first pulls into a spot he measures the L1 and L2 voltage at the pedestal, and uses the appropriate dogbone for the higher voltage.

Mike
That's probably about the best approach to ensure good 30 amp service for a 30 amp RV parked a at site with both 30 and 50 amp service on the pedestal.

I wonder what 50 amp feed a commercial 50-to-30 amp dogbone adapter is connected to -> L1 or L2?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote