Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

A nice generator to run the air conditioner

For those times when you just gotta' have air conditioning, and there are no electric hook-ups, it's nice to have a generator that will run your A/C.

I have avoided camping without hook-ups because of the "no A/C" issue.
I finally bought a generator/inverter ..... a Champion 3100W/2800.

That is enough to run the 13.5K BTU air conditioner in my travel trailer.
It is small enough to lock it up out of sight under the tonneau cover of my pickup truck.

UPS delivered it late yesterday evening and I just tested it out this morning.
It's about 1/2 the price of a Honda or Yamaha of equivalent power. According to the specs, it is the same 59 dB noise level. It did seem a bit on the noisy side to me, but that is a subjective opinion. It certainly has the power to run the A/C.

Champion 3100W Generator First Run - YouTube

I didn't test it running the A/C at the same time as the microwave oven. That might overload, but I can't be sure.
I was running refrigerator (on electric) and the converter (very little load there since battery was charged), and the air conditioner. No problem.
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

We had a earlier edition of the Champion and it worked well enough but it had to be adjusted for voltage a few times. The new ones are probably far better engineered. You will probably overload with microwave and a/c. Just power manage and turn off a/c when using microwave.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Just power manage and turn off a/c when using microwave.
I will shut down the A/C if I feel the need to use the microwave. I don't want to trip the overload breaker. I also don't want to damage the A/C by running it on low voltage.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I leave the Kill-a-watt plugged in all the time so
I can check power at any time or use it to see what
a given what ever is using for power $25. With it you
could see if the A/C and Micro would be in conflict.

LEN
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

We generally try to be Goldilockers (not to hot and not to cold, just right - aka "the 70 degree club")and go north or up in elevation when it gets warm. We do our travels primarily in the US West (have three kids along I-25 in New Mexico and Colorado) and we can do this. We were at son's place in Fort Collins and it got to 103 so we went up the Cache de Poudre R and stayed at NF campgrounds and kept going up in elevation as it got warmer. Wound up camped at Long Draw in dispersed camping at 10,600' where it got down to 38 at night. If you are stuck in the southern US, you do not have this luxury. Spent time in Army at Ft. Campbell (101st Abn) and Georgia (jump school) and it was hot and muggy and the Army did have have a/c in those days - probably still doesn't.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Update on my Champion 3100W boondocking

My trailer camping agenda was to row my rowing skiff on Sam Rayburn Reservoir. That means an overnight camping stop at Twin Dikes Park.
The best campsites (along the lakeshore) are "no hook-ups". The premium sites with full hookups ($28 per day) are away from the shore. Go figure!
Here is my campsite (Site #27) with no hook-ups ($7 per day with senior citizen discount).

Sometimes it pays to get old.
The Champion 3100W worked perfectly. I ran it for 2 hours (to run the air conditioner) to cool down from the 85 degree heat of the day.

My first "boondocking" experience. Perfect!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

Rig on the road

I forgot to mention, this is how my rig looks on the road.
(Illegal in 27 states.)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

I believe you may find that your rig is Illegal in even more states if the first tow vehicle is not a fifth wheel! It appears you are using two ball type tows, a no-no most places I've researched.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I believe you may find that your rig is Illegal in even more states if the first tow vehicle is not a fifth wheel! It appears you are using two ball type tows, a no-no most places I've researched.

Ed
Illegal in 22 states because of double tow. Illegal in 5 more states because first trailer is not fifth wheel configuration. Total illegal in 27 states.
Just like motorcycle helmet laws, that could change tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDon View Post
I forgot to mention, this is how my rig looks on the road.
(Illegal in 27 states.)

My wife won't let me do that. I want to tow the TT and our 4 wheeler trailer to a place about 50 miles from home, she would rather I made two, (correction) that would be four trips, up there and back......but I still love her........LOL
05springdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, generator