Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Access to LP via RV's refill nozzel

Has, I say, has anyone ever used their RV's built in LP tank's fill connection for an outside stove or firepit ?

Been searching the dad-blamed web and can't find what I'm looking for. I've seen the Extend-A-Flow products, but get the impression this is used to increase your tank capacity via an additional tank.

Well, let's put it another way - way, that is. The issue here is I don't want to carry an additional tank inside the vehicle or on a outside rack. My internal tank has the capacity I need, just not the access.

Now, I'll shut my mouth - my mouth that is, before I get a sunburnt tongue.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Something can probably be made up to do this but it will get you unregulated high pressure propane and it just does not strike me as a great idea.
I imported a gas point from Bullfinch Bullfinch Gas - Outdoor Utility Points which works very well.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

You can use the extend a flow systems, just make sure you get the right one for the threads on your existing LP system.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what you need Stay A While Tee - Mr. Heater F273752 - Propane Accessories - Camping World It goes between the output valve of the tank and the regulator.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have installed a hookup on my permanently installed tank on my motorhome and have been using it for a portable stove or gas grill for years. Make sure you get the right hoses and quick connectors and regulators from your propane supplier and you should be safe.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post
Has, I say, has anyone ever used their RV's built in LP tank's fill connection for an outside stove or firepit ?

Been searching the dad-blamed web and can't find what I'm looking for. I've seen the Extend-A-Flow products, but get the impression this is used to increase your tank capacity via an additional tank.

Well, let's put it another way - way, that is. The issue here is I don't want to carry an additional tank inside the vehicle or on a outside rack. My internal tank has the capacity I need, just not the access.

Now, I'll shut my mouth - my mouth that is, before I get a sunburnt tongue.
Rubix

The Extend-a-Stay kit is what you need. It kinda looks like a 4 way valve. You install it BETWEEN your main tank and the regulator that is currently on the output of that tank. There are then two fittings left, one would be if you ever did want to put an external tank on to "extend your stay" and not use the main tank. The other fitting is for what YOU WANT, to hook up to a external gas grill, etc.
You don't want, or need, to have the LP regulated for the external grill, as it should have it's own regulator.

Do a google search for extend-a-stay instructions. Here is a link to one of the results:

You should be good to go with very little work, and a little bit of $$ for the kit and a hose for your grill.

Good Luck.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix cube View Post

We've been using the Marshall Extend-a-Flow for years, to power our hungry Olympian BBQ; but make sure you get the one with 12' hose!

I went to get one at the dealer parts department, and did my well-honed stoopid-act. I got the parts guy so frustrated, that he figured it would be far easier to show me, by taking 5 minutes to install the thing, than explain it to me! I thanked him, gave him his $85, and boogied off down the road.

It's a really great BBQ accessory; or if you have one of those big honkin' three burner Coleman trail guide stoves . . .
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

If I'm not mistaken Extend-a-stay sells one kit just to add capacity and another (deluxe) that adds capacity and the 12' hose to use accessories.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We have a outdoor fire pit and a coleman roadtrip grill and we use a couple of 20# bottles, these bottles are easier to refill than the Coach. The Coach's propane tank only gets fill every spring. (once a year)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Thanks Folks - looks like I've got some viable solutions.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs