RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Added 2 batteries - look ok?

I added one battery to the existing 12v deep cycle 105ah battery (B) in the tray in my new Jayco Alante 31v immediately but really want to have three or four. So, I added one more using the storage bay adjacent to the battery bay. Due to trying to keep the wires as short as possible, when I added "C" I used 9" 4 awg wires, the same gauge as originals. When I added "A", I had to use 35" 4 awg cables and ended up with the connections you see here.

Although I do not have the solar installed yet, the wires on the far left on "A" are what I plan. I know it is not optimal, but due to space and keeping cabling as short as possible I will use 12" of 6 awg (the max that will fit in the charge controller terminals).

Any issues with how this is all wired, other than not being optimal?

Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

There is no "other than optimal" if you want it to work for very long. Rework the positive battery lead to go fro A to B to C like the negative one does and then connect the positive and negative load and charge controller leads at opposite corners of the battery bank.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphenatem View Post
There is no "other than optimal" if you want it to work for very long. Rework the positive battery lead to go fro A to B to C like the negative one does and then connect the positive and negative load and charge controller leads at opposite corners of the battery bank.
I can move the + from A-C over to A-B and just have a little extra length of cable. The other changes will be more difficult because battery A is in the storage bin next to the battery compartment with a wall between them and about 35" away from B. I'd need to add extensions to the positive Load wires to move them from B to A. Also, to move one of the charge controller cables will require it to be about 39" long and it can be no thicker than a 6 gauge wire. If I do that do I need to make sure the other wire from the controller is also the same length even though it only needs to be about 9"?

I'm trying to understand which is more important: shorter cable length or attaching to opposite corners of the battery bank?

Thanks
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries