RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #1

Added inverter have GFCI issue

I believe this is common but let me explain the issue. First of all i installed an Aims 2000w pure sine inverter with a pass through switch. I rewired the AC from the main panel by removing the microwave and outlet wiring and breakers and relocating them to a sub panel. So I have a new breaker that feeds power to the inverter input and then from the inverter outlet the AC goes to the new subpanel, where I relocated the old circuit breakers. On the DC side I ran new cables (3 ft) to the inverter with a 200 amp ANL fuse next the batteries.

Everything works perfect, almost. If running with no shore or generator power the inverter runs all outlets and the microwave without issues. If I turn on the generator it charges the batteries as it should and passes through the switched inverter to power the microwave and outlets like it should. Here's the issue. If I connect to my house exterior outlet which is a GCFI it thinks theres a fault and cuts power off. I havent had a chance to hook up on a regular RV type 30 amp outlet, but I'm pretty sure it will work fine. Has anyone else had this issue which hear is common, and if so have they come up with a solution? FYI, I have tried turning off the breaker to the inverter, but that dosen't change anything. Sometimes I want to plug in at home to charge the batteries or just want to plug in. I realy dont want to have a dedicated RV line outside.

LakeTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
I believe this is common but let me explain the issue. First of all i installed an Aims 2000w pure sine inverter with a pass through switch. I rewired the AC from the main panel by removing the microwave and outlet wiring and breakers and relocating them to a sub panel. So I have a new breaker that feeds power to the inverter input and then from the inverter outlet the AC goes to the new subpanel, where I relocated the old circuit breakers. On the DC side I ran new cables (3 ft) to the inverter with a 200 amp ANL fuse next the batteries.

Everything works perfect, almost. If running with no shore or generator power the inverter runs all outlets and the microwave without issues. If I turn on the generator it charges the batteries as it should and passes through the switched inverter to power the microwave and outlets like it should. Here's the issue. If I connect to my house exterior outlet which is a GCFI it thinks theres a fault and cuts power off. I havent had a chance to hook up on a regular RV type 30 amp outlet, but I'm pretty sure it will work fine. Has anyone else had this issue which hear is common, and if so have they come up with a solution? FYI, I have tried turning off the breaker to the inverter, but that dosen't change anything. Sometimes I want to plug in at home to charge the batteries or just want to plug in. I realy dont want to have a dedicated RV line outside.
Yes, very common. Try a plug inside your garage or something in the house that is not on a gfci.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

I would try a non GFCI outlet except all my garage outlets are GFCI and its very inconvient to run into the house somewhere. One way is to disconnect the circuit from the main box to the inverter. Then I would always have to run the inverter for outlets and microwave regardless of shore or generator power. Not the best solution obviously. Since I'm not an electrician, but know the basics, is there switch available to turn off the nuetral and hot at the same time going to the inverter on those occations where a GFCI is unavoidable?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

Look in the sub panel you installed and make sure it does NOT have a neutral to ground link, screw or jumper. No bonding in RVs, only at the house.

If no, then check to see if your new inverter UL458 listed. That means it only bonds neutral and ground together when it's in inverter mode and no shore power is present.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

same problem

we have a similiar problem

thanks for the info
stamey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

I had a similar problem but I was plugging into a repurposed 50 amp circuit with a 50A GFCI breaker. My inverter has a pass through feature and I discovered that the neutral and ground are normally bonded. When ac power is applied, it takes a couple milliseconds for the switch to open. Thatís enough for the GFCI breaker to sense a ground fault and trip. My solution was to replace the GFCI breaker with a non GFCI breaker.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Look in the sub panel you installed and make sure it does NOT have a neutral to ground link, screw or jumper. No bonding in RVs, only at the house.

If no, then check to see if your new inverter UL458 listed. That means it only bonds neutral and ground together when it's in inverter mode and no shore power is present.
Great information! First of all I just went out to check and my sub panel is NOT bonded which is good news. The inverter is also UL458 listed, so I guess I'm good on both accounts. I could be wrong, but from what I've read it could be the delay in the pass through switch which makes the house GFCI react to what it thinks is a ground fault. Like I said this seems to be a common problem that would be nice to resolve with a simple solution, like a switch that could be used to disconnect from the inverter when this situation exsists. That may not be possible and its certainly something you can live with knowing the issue.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #8

I suppose the test would be to remove the " line out " connection from the inverter and see if the GFCI still trips. If it does, most likely the inverter.
If it doesn't, it could be something else.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I suppose the test would be to remove the " line out " connection from the inverter and see if the GFCI still trips. If it does, most likely the inverter.
If it doesn't, it could be something else.
I just it did that an hour ago and if using the generator nothing happens (all works correctly) and if using shore power it trips. Tommorow I'll plug into an outlet inside the house with no GFCI and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
I just it did that an hour ago and if using the generator nothing happens (all works correctly) and if using shore power it trips. Tommorow I'll plug into an outlet inside the house with no GFCI and see what happens.

The reason can be found in Article 250 (Grounding and Bonding) of the National Electrical Code... that's a search hint for times when you really, really don't have something else to do.

Code says that all domestic power systems must have the "grounded, current-carrying conductor" (we mortals call that "neutral") bonded to the "grounding electrode system"... and here's the REAL detail... "at the point of service."

At your home the point of service is usually either the Power Company meter base (customer side) or the primary service panel. After that, the neutral (white) and ground (green or bare copper) maintain their independent status. Your RV is considered a sub-panel by Code and those separate lines continue to the 50 amp outlet.

But.... when you use your inverter or on-board generator, those ARE the "point of service" and the neutral and ground now need to be bonded. Typically the switching in the bonding is done by the transfer switch. Some inverters incorporate transfer as a feature.

So relative to a GFCI -they will trip if there is a load with neutral and ground connected together. It sounds like your power transfer, however it is accomplished, is not switching the neutral/ground bond when on shore power.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ground to nuetral bonding is provided by the power source. When on inverter the bonding is provided internally by the inverter. When 120vac shore/genny is available to the inverter, the bypass relay should also lift the bond so the bonding comes from shore/genny. This transition can be the cause of the shore power GFCI to trip.

Might talk to the inverter tech support folks for their input.

Else use a non GFCI outlet for the shore power source.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #12

First of all I want to send out a big thank you to all the electrical experts! I learned a lot with your easy to understand responses.

This morning while there was light and no rain I ran my shore cord into the house and did the final test. Everything works exactly like it should. Be it shore power, generator, or the inverter alone, everything worked and the pass through worked exactly as it should. I'm a happy camper as long as I don't have to plug into a GFCI. So I've now upgraded my batteries, added a battery monitor, converted all lights to led, upgraded the old converter, added an inverter, and finally in the next year I need to upgrade my 19 year old solar system, by replacing my old single panel with 2 new 175-200w panels and possibly replacing my antique Shell Solar controller. It might be old but it still works fine but thinking of upgrading to MPPT.

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #13

I've got a solution to my(your) GFCI problem. Im going to add a manual transfer switch between the breaker feeding the inverter and the inverter. This solution allows you to turn off the power to the inverter pass through while still connecting to a shore GFCI. That way I can power my converter, air conditioning, and fridge, plus I can turn on the inverter to power the microwave and outlets without sacrificing anything. It would be used rarely but if needed its there.

Tags
inverter