Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Adding some storage and wire shelving

I'm removing the dinette and sofa from one wall and I want to use that 18" depth of long wall space for some organizer storage for lightweight stuff.

Look around online at Amazon and The Home Depot etc, I'm still not quite finding the thing I'm looking for.

Has anyone here added some modular rack storage or organizer for shoes, Tupperware, t-shirts, underwear, thing-a-ma-bobs and brik-n-brak?

I'm not stocking to the ceiling with heavy stuff mind you, just a myriad of things I'm not going to have the cabinetry and drawer space space for.

Class-C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

I found inexpensive metal shelving (sold as shoe racks) at Big Lots and cut them down to fit inside a large open pantry to organize and better utilize the space. They were like $10 and 3 tiers. I installed them and anchored each shelf to the back wall with tubing clamps for strength and stability.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

You could build your own cabinets -- I used quarter inch Baltic birch plywood. Search for the word "cabinetry" in this blog post:

https://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.co...-new-lmic.html

Good luck!
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

I bought a bunch of these:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
and a bunch of these:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
and built racks with lips to keep the boxes in place. So now I have about 16 large boxes with hardly any added weight (until I fill them.) (Mine are in my over-cab bunk, but this ought to work in the dinette space too.)

(P.S. I mounted the shelving upside down, which is how I got lips.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the solid suggestions, feel free to keep them coming.

I'm also a fan of the clear tubs which I use for all my camping gear, and the way you turned the shelf upside down to have a lip, bravo.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Can't help you on the shelving. But we use several plastic totes full of lightweight stuff that just sit in our overhead bunk. Even if we got a bigger unit, it would be tough to convince my wife we didn't need the cabover. It's handy as hell for a shoe caddy, laundry, whatever. Of course, we're pretty slobby, and don't mind clutter that's not in the way.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

I hear you. The rig I just bought has an entertainment center in the overhead with a bed that slides out to complete the horizontal overhead area. I really don't care about all that facade and will probably sell it in order to maximize the cubic feet and weight rating of that area, I'd rather not waste it.

I'm not saying that this exact items is what I have in mind, and the reviews say they're kinda chincy and not durable.

18 in. x 67 in. Gray Storage Closet Portable Wardrobe with Shelving

I saw a number of these type configurations this week.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #8

In the end I decided to go with some locking garage storage cabinets and then decided on the Harbor Freight sets based on my quality checks and measurements. I had a wicked time trying to get the tall ones shoved in and had to use my large HighLift jack to raise the ceiling in the slide slightly to finally get them shoved back. Now they're bolted together and in there tight! No wiggling.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinets-All4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	301664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinets-small.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	301665  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinets-All1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	301666  
Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

WOW!! Those are great, great, great -- congratulations.

Hopefully, jacking up the ceiling did not open any seams . . . .
Old 09-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we bought 12" x 12" x 36" pre maid cabinets for a kitchen wall, lowes had them and the finish color blends in well with the faux cherry finish on the slide trim. set them on the floor and through bolted to hold them down
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage