RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

AIMS Inverters

Howdy,

I have a Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2306, and will be installing solar/inverter/batteries. My dad has installed the inverter I'm looking at in his camper, which has brought up some questions.

The inverter is an AIMS 2,000W True Sine with built in 30A transfer switch.
http://a.co/1zi9oYO
Also the remote panel.
http://a.co/a0NEXBy

One note, the unit ships with an ancient manual. Download the new one! The unit seems pretty decently built, and is a great value compared to many others.

However........with this inverter:

- it needs to be ON or standby to get any AC into the camper. Even when plugged into shore power, the inverter must be ON or standby. This seems weird.

- it also needs to be on or standby to get it to charge the batteries. Otherwise, it is just 100% off and won't charge.

Both of these behaviors seems odd. Both seem like they should happen automatically when plugged in, which is how my dad's original unit (dunno make/model anymore, sorry) worked.

I suppose to a degree this is just a difference of terminology. Standby is "off" and on is on. Off is for storage after removing the batteries. However, standby will be a parasitic load, as it's checking for an AC load every few (3 maybe?) seconds. Perhaps this would cause funkyness with low power draws like TVs, microwave (not running) and the like.

Just wondering what (if anything) we're missing. Is the behavior normal? Is there something different to do? Is anyone familiar with AIMS?

Thanks for any input.

aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

I returned my AIMs inverter. It was a different model though. Check to see if it is UL rated.
Check to see if it conforms to UL 458 for RV use.
Mine didn't and Amazon took it back at no charge.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

It's already bought and installed... Interesting though. Still interested in its intended functionallity.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

It would be nonfunctional for me. Sorry.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

If it's on standby and the park loses power you may not know it until your batteries are also run down. Happened to me a long time ago. If I'm plugged in my Magnum is off. I want to know that the power is out. Good luck.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

While unlikely, I agree. It just isn't as I expected it.... I emailed aims just for grins, too.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

aeblank,

Please review this:

RV Safety
Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Tragic, for sure. Guess I'm not sure of your point. UL rated or no, improperly installed AC (usually not DC) can be lethal. My post is simply asking about functionality.

I did confirm with the factory that the functionality described above is as designed and isn't configurable. So be it.

On your point though, I recall dads camper (years and years ago) having some sort of floating ground, causing an odd feeling that you couldn't quite figure out. That was probably 20 years ago and long before any inverters. It was fixed forever ago, too. Must have been just a few volts, somehow.

Happy camping.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

My point is safety and knowledge. I was completely unaware of when a neutral needs to be bonded to ground and not in an RV. And when it changes based on where or not shore power is present.
The AIMS inverter I bought had a transfer switch and pass through just like I wanted.
It wasn't UL 458 rated and therefore did not change the neutral to ground bonding as necessary. And went back to the retailer for that reason.
If the one you are using is not UL 458 rated it shouldn't be used in an RV alone.
I hope you are doing it safely and you and anyone touching your RV is safe. One doesn't need 120v to kill you. If I recall something in the range of 0.1 amps @ 50v can.
More information on the subject RV inverter safety issue:

RV Travel - No Shock Zone

AIMS does have them available:
AIMS UL 458 inverters
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

I hadn't (yet) looked up the UL rating, so I was unaware of the same. The ground bonding makes some sense to me without even thinking it through all the way. Similar to a secondary electrical panel in home construction, with the added ground not being truly grounded.

The unit I chose is UL rated, so that's nice. I already have the control panel for it (Amazon had a lightening deal on it) and my dad's is a thousand miles from home (left the other day).

Tags
inverter