Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #15

If you want to track battery state of charge use a monitor with a shunt. Much better than interpreting SOC from resting voltage.

I like the VE BMV-712 with the built in bluetooth and phone app.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
I should know the answer to this but I think I am having a senior moment.
I have 2-6volt 300ah batteries wired in series making the 12 volts. But my question is do you add the total of the two batteries ah making it 600ah usable total ah , or because they are in series do I have 300ah usable ah ?
Simple way to remember - you can't double both volts and amps with only two identical batteries. It's one of the other and in this example it would be 12VDC and 300Ah.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #17

astrocamper,
I am a n00b but your 1440 w of solar seems like overkill for a 22' trailer.
Are you doing fusion research while boondocking? A friend wants to know.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
If you want to track battery state of charge use a monitor with a shunt. Much better than interpreting SOC from resting voltage.

I like the VE BMV-712 with the built in bluetooth and phone app.
Absolutely, I have one coming from Amazon right now, we'll see how it works.

Besides, when your camping there's no resting voltage. Either pulling down and adding in.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
I should know the answer to this but I think I am having a senior moment.
I have 2-6volt 300ah batteries wired in series making the 12 volts. But my question is do you add the total of the two batteries ah making it 600ah usable total ah , or because they are in series do I have 300ah usable ah ?
...unless you're talking Lithium batteries... various sources put their usable Ah at 90%, so 540 Ah is usable - AND, you won't damage or shorten the life of your batteries. AGM's you can probably use up to 60%, perhaps 70%, but any other type, I believe, would recommend no more than 50% SOC before recharging.
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
...unless you're talking Lithium batteries... you won't damage or shorten the life of your batteries.
Deeper discharges of lithium batteries does shorten their life as with lead acid. The difference is with lithium there may be inherently 10x the cycles to begin with but there will be a cycle life impact with greater DOD nonetheless.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hijack this thread,
I need a picture of the starting battery hookup on a ford chassis 1991-1992 Fleetwood bounder.
It has 5 wires. I know where 2 go. Ground and positive are obvious. The other 3 ?
Dan L
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery