Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #15

I do not think TT Vert is in any way indicating he would steal electricity or plug in without permission. As a matter of fact, he even used phrases that indicate he would ask permission and was asking this community for their experience in whether anyone has seen this allowed.

TT Vert,
As you can see, that is not normal and likely. You can always ask, though. I would not count on using the space heater. As others have said, plan to use your on board heater(s). If you have enough battery amps and the batts are in good condition, you can use the propane heater for 6-8 hours.

Have fun.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #16

Even if asking for and receiving permission, this type of behavior will materially ratchet up the "no more RV parking allowed" thinking by the owner/manager.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #17

Here’s a little secret. Park next to a light pole. During the day the timer kills power to the light. Take the access plate off and wire in a plug and wait for twilight when the lights energize. I have seen people do this literally 100’s of times. The Walmart near me always has rv’s and semis in there. Almost every pole has a cord running to a temp plug someone installed. In fact, my Walmart has a few longer term residents now and both are plugged into the poles as of yesterday. Most light poles run off 220v.

Not sure if I would ever mess with someone else’s property like that even if it’s Walmarts.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Here’s a little secret. Park next to a light pole. During the day the timer kills power to the light. Take the access plate off and wire in a plug and wait for twilight when the lights energize. I have seen people do this literally 100’s of times. The Walmart near me always has rv’s and semis in there. Almost every pole has a cord running to a temp plug someone installed. In fact, my Walmart has a few longer term residents now and both are plugged into the poles as of yesterday. Most light poles run off 220v.

And, we wonder why more and more places prohibit overnight RV parking.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:

Not sure if I would ever mess with someone else’s property like that even if it’s Walmarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
And, we wonder why more and more places prohibit overnight RV parking.

And based on recent events the family will sue Walmart when their relative electrocutes themselves because Walmart provided the Light Pole and allowed the camping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #20

A solid no and please don’t ask. As far as running a generator after they’re closed, it depends on how loud it is. A quiet diesel maybe. Gas or propane probably not. If you disturb the neighbors, that CB will likely prohibit overnighting when neighbors start complaining.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #21

Quote:

You have seen this "Hundreds" of times????
I am darned sure I wouldn't be messing with someone else's property. Even the thought of doing something like this makes me cringe. This is theft of services no matter how you cut it. I would like to see anyone trying this get caught and prosecuted and pay a hefty price. Places like Walmart, Cracker Barrel and others have no duty to provide a space to park your RV. It is only a privilege they extend to their customers. It's a shame some have to abuse it.
Is there no respect for anyone anymore?
Old 09-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Even if asking for and receiving permission, this type of behavior will materially ratchet up the "no more RV parking allowed" thinking by the owner/manager.
I agree. We would not ask for permission (nor try to use). That is why we have onboard systems with 400A of lithium.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I park at the farthest edge and run the 10k diesel generator if needed. If my buddy is traveling with me, he plugs into me so he can run the ac in his TT.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:47 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
........If need by (And allowed) i'll run the genny but if they have the ability (Or are configured) to let me plug into a light pole or something I would rather do that. Has anyone ever done this?.........
Never have and no plans to. I always have a camp reservation along the route, even if it is a one night stay.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #25

Aw, c'mon, guys. He asked a sincere question. We oughtn't make fun of people willing to ask things, even if we think the answer is evident. That's how we all learned.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Short answer=No.

PLEASE don't do this. These places allow us to park our self contained RV's overnight as a courtesy. They are not an RV park. If you want to be able to plug into electricity, then find & pay for a campground site.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #27

The simple answer would be no. I'd be shocked if any Walmart would allow someone to plug into any outside outlets. That just screams liability. Plus, once started, it wouldn't be long before multiple people would be hooking up to all the outdoor outlets which are not likely designed for those kinds of loads.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Try the Allstays app. I usually hunt down Walmart and rest areas with it for boondocking.
I looked for this but sadly it's IOS only. I did find an app called Overnight parking finder which is ugly but does seem to have some stuff listed. Oddly they don't have the camping world right by me listed which does let people say there. They even have electric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
I doubt this is even a thing . Why would anybody expect them to furnish free electricity ? It more than nice enough to even let someone stay there.
I had no expectation was just curious if this was something they did. I have never boondocked in my life. I don't expect anything for free was just curious if this was something they offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Use your own propane or diesel heat, not electric. It is one thing to provide a parking spot at the edge of a lot for free during a time of low usage, but to expect to have free electricity is hard to understand! If your batteries won’t stand up to the furnace fan running occasionally overnight, you need better/more batteries.
I agree, was just curious. I only have about 400Ah of sealed lead acid batteries so probably about 200Ah of usable capacity. I don't have an inverter and don't have a DC heater so i'd be just using my onboard forced air heater if need be and some blankets if they don't want a generator running. Many of the videos I've seen have people using their gennys at walmart but I'd rather not rock the boat. I did call them to ensure they were ok w/ a few hours of sleep there and they said they were just said to park out of the way which I planned to do regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Apparently the OP is new to dry camping and using Cracker Barrel or Walmart lots for overnight parking. Not knowing the standard operating procedure or what was available at these stops he asked before acting. Let's give him credit for asking first.
Yep never did it, just learning the ropes. Watched tons of videos on it and the SOPs/etiquette since and also called the one I would stop at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
I do not think TT Vert is in any way indicating he would steal electricity or plug in without permission. As a matter of fact, he even used phrases that indicate he would ask permission and was asking this community for their experience in whether anyone has seen this allowed.

TT Vert,
As you can see, that is not normal and likely. You can always ask, though. I would not count on using the space heater. As others have said, plan to use your on board heater(s). If you have enough battery amps and the batts are in good condition, you can use the propane heater for 6-8 hours.

Have fun.
Correct, just asking. I won't be doing anything that isn't allowed. I don't want to burn any bridges or be part of the reason they stop allowing us to park there.

Quote:
Well in all fairness if they offered to let me plug in I would but I certainly wouldn't ask when I have the resources available to me to not utilize their power.

Quote:

I'd never touch their stuff, that's why we can't have nice things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Aw, c'mon, guys. He asked a sincere question. We oughtn't make fun of people willing to ask things, even if we think the answer is evident. That's how we all learned.
Agreed but I have a thick skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
The simple answer would be no. I'd be shocked if any Walmart would allow someone to plug into any outside outlets. That just screams liability. Plus, once started, it wouldn't be long before multiple people would be hooking up to all the outdoor outlets which are not likely designed for those kinds of loads.
Good point

Thanks for the input guys. I'll just run my propane heat if need be. 200Ah should get me through 6-8 hours of boondocking given I don't have much 12V stuff that draws much current.

Dave

Tags
crack