Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 11:08 PM   #43

One night ... run the furnace, bring a heavy blanket & long johns if worried about your batteries. This is so simple. You're overthinking it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
One night ... run the furnace, bring a heavy blanket & long johns if worried about your batteries. This is so simple. You're overthinking it.
could be, that's what I do best..

Dave
Old 09-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #45

Whos side is the light pole on, Walmart or the power company?
Light poles in peoples yards are on the power company's side and power company just charges a flat rate (maybe $75 per year) for that light to work at night. Your electric meter is what counts the power you use, so all the electricity before the meter is not being paid for by the property owner.
I do not know if Walmart light poles are a flat rate and on the power company side, or if they are post-meter and Walmart pays the actual electric usage of the electricity. If they pay the flat rate then will not care how much power you use from a pole, but if they pay actual use (post-meter) then they might care, but nothing an RV uses will be a drop in the bucket compared to Walmart's electricity consumption so they may just not care...
It might only be a few dollars worth of electricity you use, but it is not yours. Crank the generator, nobody cares except the guy camping next to you, so park alone and if he parks next to a loud running generator then that is fine. Park on the edge of the parking lot, pointing the gen exhaust side to nothing.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
A lead acid battery has about a 50% depth of discharge (DoD). Meaning below 50% capacity you're nearing <12Vdc. You typically start to damage your lead acid batteries when you drop below that voltage so going below 50% capacity isn't good and the voltage at that DoD is nearly unusable also. Good and quick read here if you care to learn more about this.
Dave

Actually that is not quite correct. Standard LA batteries may safely discharged to 10-20° capacity, the only downside is it shortens the lifespan a little unless you do it continually. Your link affirms this when read it its entirety.
FWIW, more than a few times my house battery bank has completely drained. I too was concerned about shortening the lifespan, but that was 4 years ago, and they still functioned normally until this year when I had to put it in a body shop, where it's been since April.

You may find this informative reading; The 12V side of Life
As you alluded to, perhaps you should overnight at Camping World where free electricity is offered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Actually that is not quite correct. Standard LA batteries may safely discharged to 10-20° capacity, the only downside is it shortens the lifespan a little unless you do it continually. Your link affirms this when read it its entirety.
FWIW, more than a few times my house battery bank has completely drained. I too was concerned about shortening the lifespan, but that was 4 years ago, and they still functioned normally until this year when I had to put it in a body shop, where it's been since April.

You may find this informative reading; The 12V side of Life
As you alluded to, perhaps you should overnight at Camping World where free electricity is offered.
Correct. IMO to me if you reduce lifespan by 1/2 by discharging below 50% that is damage. It can lead to irreversible sulfation.

Dave
Old 09-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #48

TTVern, my point is, just one deep-cycle isn't going to do that much harm to a deep-cycle battery, as both of those links, yours and mine, pointed out. It's the repeatedly discharging them to 20% that does the damage.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
TTVern, my point is, just one deep-cycle isn't going to do that much harm to a deep-cycle battery, as both of those links, yours and mine, pointed out. It's the repeatedly discharging them to 20% that does the damage.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.
100% agree.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #50

Just over night at the Walmart in Fairbanks, AK. They have a bunch of 15 amp hook ups in the parking area.

Richard
Old 09-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Just over night at the Walmart in Fairbanks, AK. They have a bunch of 15 amp hook ups in the parking area.
Engine block heater power for when it gets cold.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #52

40 yrs ago cruising up and down the local drag as teens, there was one parking lot where my best friend and I used to plug in my portable TV and watch football games.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Engine block heater power for when it gets cold.
Correct. In Alaska folks rarely turn off their engines while shopping.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #54

I have run my furnace all evening, all night and well into the morning with no problem and still had plenty of battery power left. I'm running two GC2 6 Volt Golf cart batteries for house batteries. My first pair ran for five years before I had a cell go bad in one battery. I replaced both batteries at that time.
I don't let the batteries run down when my coach is sitting between outings. I plug it in at least weekly for a few hours to keep the batteries charged up. I have never shut the battery disconnect switches off.
When I store my coach for the winter months both house batteries and the chassis batteries come out and come home with me where i can babysit them all winter long. In fact the chassis battery goes into my GMC Suburban for the winter so I have dual batteries under the hood. The batteries run lights in my 28' enclosed snowmobile trailer when we are racing.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:51 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Please be careful.

We are electrical contractors who service facilities like Walmart or large shopping centers. The normal voltage that is frequently used for large parking lots is 277 volts to ground or 480 volts phase to phase. These circuits are usually fed underground thru J-boxes at the base of each light pole. A camper who would take it upon himself to splice into these circuits for a source to power his RV would be greatly disappointed and possibly severely injured or worse. Stay Safe.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneville1 View Post
We are electrical contractors who service facilities like Walmart or large shopping centers. The normal voltage that is frequently used for large parking lots is 277 volts to ground or 480 volts phase to phase. These circuits are usually fed underground thru J-boxes at the base of each light pole. A camper who would take it upon himself to splice into these circuits for a source to power his RV would be greatly disappointed and possibly severely injured or worse. Stay Safe.
Good information. Good of you for pointing that out.

Tags
crack