RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #1

Any worries about critters?

anyone Boondocking in the southwest worried about yourself or your pets getting bite by poisonous snakes, scorpions, spiders.

do you carry any first aide equipment or antidote for any particular critters.
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I never worry about stuff like this - just use normal caution. Iím far more worried about them tangling with a skunk.....that would really be an issue in a motorhome
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #3

Snakes might be an issue but be careful where you walk. I don't think there are deadly scorpions or spiders in the US, but here's a link that will tell you all about them. Happy or should I say scary reading. https://bestlifeonline.com/dangerous-bugs-in-america/

Personally I don't worry about them much. Just know where the local hospital or urgent care center is. Get there within 12 hours and you should survive.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:01 AM   #4

thanx for the replies, we have a remote, off grid cabin in the Adirondacks, the most dangerous thing we have up there ticks and Mosquito's and the occasional Porcupine.

I was just wondering what the southwest held for weird things to watch out for
Old 01-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #5

We've spent years in the Southwest and have done extensive hiking. We've only seen a snake once. Really.

Scorpions are mostly seen at night. Again... we've never seen one outside. Homes will get them if bug control isn't done. Don't leave your shoes outside the door as some campers do.

Black widows have a very messy-looking web. The could be found under picnic tables or in corners of park restrooms or other buildings if not kept very clean. We saw some in an outhouse in Idaho but that's it. They're very distinctive.... shiny black and small unlike most spiders that are brown.

Keep your dog on a leash as you should everywhere. Don't let it nose around under bushes or rocks. That's where snakes will be during the daytime.

Don't obsess with 'critters'. They're not going to come after you. Just be vigilant of your surroundings.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've spent years in the Southwest and have done extensive hiking. We've only seen a snake once. Really.

Scorpions are mostly seen at night. Again... we've never seen one outside. Homes will get them if bug control isn't done. Don't leave your shoes outside the door as some campers do.

Black widows have a very messy-looking web. The could be found under picnic tables or in corners of park restrooms or other buildings if not kept very clean. We saw some in an outhouse in Idaho but that's it. They're very distinctive.... shiny black and small unlike most spiders that are brown.

Keep your dog on a leash as you should everywhere. Don't let it nose around under bushes or rocks. That's where snakes will be during the daytime.

Don't obsess with 'critters'. They're not going to come after you. Just be vigilant of your surroundings.

I grew up in the Smokey Mountains, I can assure you, if you don't look for a snake, you won't see one............................................... ..........That's not to say they aren't there.....
Old 01-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

We've done a lot of hiking in the southwest, and yes, we have seen and heard quite a few rattlers. When hiking in warm weather below about 6000 feet, watch where you step. Keep your ears open -- no headphones. Wear decent boots.

No need for leather leggings (unless you are in a really bad area).

There are scorpions in the desert -- we have never seen them.

There are black widows in my stack of firewood at home in southern Calif -- I never gather wood for a fire without leather gloves.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #8

Thank you all for the replies, honestly, Im more worried about my Black Lab than anything else, hes a great bird dog. As I tell my friends ~~~ if you throw a grenade, he'll bring it back

and he just has to friends with everybody and everything. and if we are alone I let him wonder, he never goes more than 30 yards or so, I just don't want to be making emergency vet trips

Old 01-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
if we are alone I let him wonder, he never goes more than 30 yards or so, I just don't want to be making emergency vet trips
I'd really advise you don't let him wander without a leash and control. He would probably have his nose to the ground and dogs have been bit by rattlers because of that.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

I would guess that dogs who live in snaky places soon learn how to avoid them. But "tourist" dogs don't know how.

It's like us when we are hiking. We have, more than once, stumbled onto grizzlies because we are not from grizzly country and are not experts in avoiding them.

By contrast, folks who live in Wyoming or Montana can spot dangerous areas -- berry bushes, willows (cutting down on sight lines), and flowing water (which makes it hard for the bears to hear us, leading to unpleasant encounters).
Old 01-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Two gypsies advice is best, keep the dog on a leash if you're not sure how it will react to a snake. I've had dogs that would keep thier distance and bark at rattlesnakes, and others that would want to play with one. There is a vaccine for dogs, for rattlesnake bites, that is supposed to limit or slow the effects of the venom. The dog would still have to get to a vet, and have a series of shots. It's expensive and still not a 100% guarantee.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #12

Scorpion sting hurts a little worse than a wasp sting but theyíre not any more poisonous than a wasp. (At least not the ones here in TX). Donít put on shoes or clothes that have accidentally been left outside without shaking them out vigorously. Giant centipedes are poisonous and hurt way worse (so Iím told) but wonít kill you or a Dog. Rattlesnakes and black widows are out there. Watch where you step and donít flip over rocks, or firewood without being wary. If itís cold all of the above will be hibernating or hiding somewhere. If it warms up a rattler might be warming up in the sun....If itís hot heís cooling in the shade. You probably wonít see any of them but just be aware.

Scorpions and giant red-headed centepeedes have both found their way inside our house over the years....Usually after a rain. They creep me out. A scorpion will chase you across the bed! No kidding.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:

You don't have to see the snake. I've been bit by a baby rattle snake. They give you all they have. Spent 3 nights in ICU in Phoenix. Never saw or heard the snake.

You'll need a black light to see scorpions at night. There are more than you think.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #14

I'm also concerned about Pack Rats which eat wires in motor homes. They are attracted to warmth. Everyone is at risk. I use strobe lights from Rid-a-rat to deter them. They don't care if your boondocking or parked in a park. There looking for a good nesting place.

Not trying to scare anyone. Just be aware of the Dangers on the Desert.