RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Apps to find free camping spots.

I have just tried Campendium and I like it. Sadly though there is no phone app. Can anyone suggest an phone app that will help find those free spots and give info about them? I already use Park Advisor but it is more for state parks and the like. Allstays gives me the Wallmarts but I need a good one for the Boondocking spots.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #2

Free Campsites is the one I use, I like it better for finding free and cheap (less than $12/night) sites. However you can pin the campedium website to your phone's homepage.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

RvParky is one I use the most. You can set the filters to show all Walmarts, Cabellas, Cracker Barrels, and many other points of interest. It shows reviews, and previous users post what they paid. We found we generally had to pay more than the average listed because we were in 40 ft rvs with toads. The listed price is averaged out from previous users who may have only gotten 30 amp back in sites, where we were getting 50 amp pull thrus. I have circled North America almost twice, and have found most of my campsites with it.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I have just tried Campendium and I like it. Sadly though there is no phone app.
Huh???

Campendium on iOS
https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...p-screenshots/

Campendium on Android
https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...um-on-android/
Old 03-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Thanks. My phone is a Verizon and has no "add to home screen" button. I'll figure out how to do that. On your phone is it interactive, can it fins spots :near me" and connect to directions?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I am actually looking more for National Parks and boondock spots more than Cabellas and Walmart sort of places. Any Boondocking apps?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Location: Alaska and Texas 2006 Alpine 40' 4 slides Cummins 400hp
Low cost / free camping apps

I joined Harvest Host. They are businesses that have room for you to camp free 1 night in exchange for buying something at their business. Like at a winery buying wine or food at a restaurant. I joined but have no experience with it. I'm with Gwin's Lodge and we have some tent/RV slots. I haven't brought up a 40' yet to see what slots it could be pulled into.
2006 Alpine 40' FDGS40 400hp isl Cummins 4 slides with Office. Dark cherry finish out. RVi brake 2. 2009 Honda Civic. I'm 50 miles S of ANC AK. 1 mi Russian/Kenai River confluence. Primitive slots. Historical Roadhouse. Cabins. Store. Tackle. Rentals. GwinsLodge.com
GwinsLodgeAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

US Forest Service had an interactive website to find campgrounds.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwinsLodgeAK View Post
I joined Harvest Host. They are businesses that have room for you to camp free 1 night in exchange for buying something at their business. Like at a winery buying wine or food at a restaurant. I joined but have no experience with it. I'm with Gwin's Lodge and we have some tent/RV slots. I haven't brought up a 40' yet to see what slots it could be pulled into.

We did not renew... the "Hosts" can really mess up your plans by cancelling close to your arrival date. And I usually spent more at the wineries than a nice campsite in a lovely area (not RV Park).

LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping