Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or you can park near me and I'll loan you my 35 gallon sewer barrel and 55 gallon fresh water barrel. They ride on a heavy duty hand truck behind any vehicle with a trailer hitch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
There are 2 week free BLM lands near both Yuma and Q. Yuma has 2 that I know - near a lake north of I-8 and behind the VFW north of town on US-95. There are no dump stations, water or trash pick up so you have to go to town and pay for those services. The $ works out about the same as paying $40 to spend 2 weeks in one of the long term areas where those services are available.

Q has too many free sites to mention. They are every direction from town. The $180 seasonal pass can be used at any of the BLM long term areas. Most are in AZ and CA if you like to move around.
The Yuma Senator Wash area ($75 annually) has a dump station nearby.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/senator-wash-north
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Well... no, not usually. Kind of OT but... The first thing to understand is that every setup is different and everyone uses power differently. Secondly, the amount of power available for harvest is reduced considerably during the winter months (80% of rated panel power down to less than 60% in my case). So, while 2000 watts of solar may be excessive in June, it isn't in January. In my case, I made the decision to go all electric (including large residential refrigerator) while knowing that I spent nearly all of my time boondocking (fulltimer). There is nothing poorly designed/installed about my electrical system and it works great for the intended mission. Once you get that 2000 watt inverter running, you will probably learn how quickly it consumes power. Imagine running it 27x7 (refrigerator, satellite receiver, cooktop, coffee maker) and that may help understand where much of that power goes.

Getting back to the topic at hand, my advice is to bring some warmer clothes and blankets. It is most certainly wonderful weather there during the winter but it can also get pretty cool.
Agree. Most don't enter the production difference low winter sun makes. Then couple with panels being flat mounting. Upwards of a 50% reduction from rated is common. So that 1000+ watt PV setup becomes a lot smaller.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The Yuma Senator Wash area ($75 annually) has a dump station nearby.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/senator-wash-north
I've also heard they have coin-on showers. We can’t enter California due to the oppressive exotic animal laws.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundranurse1 View Post
Does anyone know how much they charge to come to your site to dump the tanks?
So I did a Google search and found some old links to Honey wagons in Quartzite most were in 2007-2009
But I found a link that took me to another RV forum, Same topic and I came up with this dated 2018

WB Sanitation will come to your boondocking site and empty your tanks, I don't know how much.
760-922-8354
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
Weredoingit, Where do you haul the waste water to? Do you transport it somewhere in your truck?
We have never been out there, so I don't have a clue how it all works.
This is exactly the information I am looking for! Thanks to all and keep it coming!
Last Feb. was the first time we have been there. I was a little confused on this area also. Even though we have a lot of boondocking under our belt, I really didn't know what to expect. With that said to answer your question, I have a tote with wheels. But if you have ever tried to pull one of these around by hand it's not easy and forget about lifting it in the back of the truck. So I leave the tote in the back of my truck, I made a pump out of an old garbage disposal. I open my gray tank, it flows into the top of the garbage disposal grinds and pumps out of a garden hose into my tote, then I drive to dump station. Lot's of people on here for advise. But If I had to pick one person for help boondocking in the Q area it would be OKmunkey. No offense to others here but Barb went above and beyond giving me helpful information. She has a great deal knowledge about this area and is more then willing to share it. I provided a phone number I found today for a honey wagon. Do like we did read what you can and go. Verizon coverage in that area was great. Don't forget to visit Crystal hill lots of Crystals to find. Oh and if you decide to get back off away from a main dirt road for a more private spot, walk it first. I started driving on a decent road away from a lot of rigs and before I new it I was stuck. I have 4x4 truck and was able to get out on my own but from now on I'll walk my path first. Also if you have a dog watch out for "jumping cactus" they call it that because it seems like it jumps on your dogs legs. And don't camp in any low wash areas, it could be clear weather where your at, but raining hard a hundred miles from you, and before you know it your in a flood zone.
Another thing I found out the hard way. We found a very nice private spot at least 300 yards from the closet RV, well the next morning and pretty much most of the morning ATV's were riding right next us. I didn't know that we were parked so close to an active trail. Won't make that mistake again.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #49

Tips to maximize water:

1. Save shower water to flush toilet

2. Don't wash dishes after every meal or day. Wipe them with paper towel and spray cleaner and wash at one time. Soap/clean them all at once and then rinse them all at once.

3. Use bottled water to drink

4. Save water bottles and fill up when you go to town. Then put water in fresh water tank.

5. Take showers at RV parks, gyms, etc.

Do not drain gray or black tanks onto the ground.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=weredoingit;4475852] But If I had to pick one person for help boondocking in the Q area it would be OKmunkey. No offense to others here but Barb went above and beyond giving me helpful information. She has a great deal knowledge about this area and is more then willing to share it. /[QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just paying it forward. So many have helped me in the last 7 years. That's one of the best qualities of the RV community. Everyone seems willing to share and/or lend a hand. We need to make sure there are enough young people to follow this path. This is a better world with RVers in it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
We have been in touch with Barb for a couple of months and obviously she has and will be a treasure trove of good info!
We are in process of installing a 2kw inverter for some 120v power when needed. The coach has a generator to keep batteries topped off.
We stayed 13 days in Fl. Before we filled our grey tank, so I figure weekly trips to the dump area.
We will be looking at solar in the spring after we see some setups first hand. I am a diy’er and only like to do things 1 time if possible so I want to see some best/worst scenarios before I start mine and then wish I had done something different.
Barb, I started the swamp cooler yesterday! Just need to get the fan and pump to finish it!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
We will be out around 4 months this time. What do folks do about mail?
We went west for 2 mos last winter and our post office held it for us but this time that won't work. I was thinking about joining FMCA for mail and other things.
How does FMCA mail forwarding work? Are people happy with their service?
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Barb, I started the swamp cooler yesterday! Just need to get the fan and pump to finish it!
Check out the USB powered fans on Amazon. They can be used on 12V and DC power by just changing the adapter. I have 3 of these and they are the quietest fans I've ever had.

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Powere...k+personal+fan

And here's where you start your solar journey. Bob is a friend, an electrical engineer, and helps keep me cooking on sunlight.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We will be out around 4 months this time. What do folks do about mail?
We went west for 2 mos last winter and our post office held it for us but this time that won't work. I was thinking about joining FMCA for mail and other things.
How does FMCA mail forwarding work? Are people happy with their service?
I have 2 mail services - one year round in South Dakota for Domicile purposes -

My Home Address, INC

Another in Quartzsite only during the winter so I don’t have to stand in long lines at the Post Office -

https://bcmmailandship.com

This is mainly for packages. They accept from all carriers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #55

Quote:
We have been in touch with Barb for a couple of months and obviously she has and will be a treasure trove of good info!
We are in process of installing a 2kw inverter for some 120v power when needed. The coach has a generator to keep batteries topped off.
We stayed 13 days in Fl. Before we filled our grey tank, so I figure weekly trips to the dump area.
We will be looking at solar in the spring after we see some setups first hand. I am a diy’er and only like to do things 1 time if possible so I want to see some best/worst scenarios before I start mine and then wish I had done something different.
There are some solar installers in Quartzite. When we were there last winter I spent some time there talking and buying a few things. But I have to say, every time I drove by they were installing solar on RV's. Might be worth looking into?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Never thought of the water bladder idea. That is a good one and on the list of things to get.
We don't use much power just morning coffee and my wife has to put in a few hours on the laptop most days, plus maybe a couple of hours of tv some nights.
As for the metal bucket, do you not set up fire pits out there? I will also put the bucket on the list!
We have around 900ah of house batteries also and they hold up well. I will probably bring along a 2000w generator to help charge batteries when needed A regular charger will be better to top off than the converter.
I considered solar a year ago and read of all of the with people 1000's of watts on there roofs and no power so I dropped that idea although I didn't understand why they needed so much to begin with. After more research I figured out that their systems are probably poorly designed and installed. The math said I would want around 600-1000 watts to have enough power, now after more research I think it is more like 500-600 designed and installed correctly. I am very familiar with 12v dc automotive systems and will probably source parts there, or on line, or both and install myself to keep busy while we are out and know it is done correctly. I just need to figure out what inverter I want and how to make it auto run the gen if necessary.
Hopefully the Verizon hot spot will function when the t Mobile doesn't. I do need to look at range extenders for these services.
We just stayed 13 days in Florida and the grey water was full the day before we left so I figure about every 10-14 days we will need to address that issue.
We have been boating with a fairly large boat for 20 yrs and 40 gal of fresh water and 20 of black are good for a week normally before we need to go in and pump out. Ice and trash is the big issue with the boat!
As far as ice, Do you bring portable machines? I have one at the boat that drops around 14 nice cubes every 7 minutes and plan to take it with us.
Here is a link to a video that caught my eye. I destroyed the inverter/charger in my RV by plugging into a bad receptacle at my uncles house. So I installed this one. https://youtu.be/-a8ijzg80OI I am very happy with it.

Bill
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, boondocking