Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
I considered solar a year ago and read of all of the with people 1000's of watts on there roofs and no power so I dropped that idea although I didn't understand why they needed so much to begin with. After more research I figured out that their systems are probably poorly designed and installed. The math said I would want around 600-1000 watts to have enough power, now after more research I think it is more like 500-600 designed and installed correctly.
Well... no, not usually. Kind of OT but... The first thing to understand is that every setup is different and everyone uses power differently. Secondly, the amount of power available for harvest is reduced considerably during the winter months (80% of rated panel power down to less than 60% in my case). So, while 2000 watts of solar may be excessive in June, it isn't in January. In my case, I made the decision to go all electric (including large residential refrigerator) while knowing that I spent nearly all of my time boondocking (fulltimer). There is nothing poorly designed/installed about my electrical system and it works great for the intended mission. Once you get that 2000 watt inverter running, you will probably learn how quickly it consumes power. Imagine running it 27x7 (refrigerator, satellite receiver, cooktop, coffee maker) and that may help understand where much of that power goes.

Getting back to the topic at hand, my advice is to bring some warmer clothes and blankets. It is most certainly wonderful weather there during the winter but it can also get pretty cool.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
https://www.blm.gov/visit/la-posa-lo...m-visitor-area

Start by reading the above link.

I prefer La Posa South. Search for the visitor center on google maps. Then search for your perfect parking space to the southwest from there. But, after Christmas the best will be taken. Don’t delay your trip. There's a HUGE RV show that brings an extra half million people to town for the month of January. The sooner you get set up, the better.

The Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show :: Home

Search for Quartzsite on this forum and read all of them. Much has already been posted.

I'll PM you my phone number. Call if you'd like to chat. I can probably answer most of your questions.

I will call this afternoon sometime!
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Well... no, not usually. Kind of OT but... The first thing to understand is that every setup is different and everyone uses power differently. Secondly, the amount of power available for harvest is reduced considerably during the winter months (80% of rated panel power down to less than 60% in my case). So, while 2000 watts of solar may be excessive in June, it isn't in January. In my case, I made the decision to go all electric (including large residential refrigerator) while knowing that I spent nearly all of my time boondocking (fulltimer). There is nothing poorly designed/installed about my electrical system and it works great for the intended mission. Once you get that 2000 watt inverter running, you will probably learn how quickly it consumes power. Imagine running it 27x7 (refrigerator, satellite receiver, cooktop, coffee maker) and that may help understand where much of that power goes.

Getting back to the topic at hand, my advice is to bring some warmer clothes and blankets. It is most certainly wonderful weather there during the winter but it can also get pretty cool.

Energy wise we don’t use a lot of electric. Switched flourescents to LED for $7.88 each at Wally World and only have 1 on usually. Not much tv. I didn’t even have one hooked up until about a month ago! I bought the coach as a one owner repo and the tv’s were removed. We usually can entertain ourselves without it.
The dw is pres of an IT company so spends a few hours on the laptop each morning. She is also an artist and adventurer.
I am a tinkerer. I can pretty much build, repair, destroy anything. I run some R/c trucks and will hopefully get to flying my heli while we are out. (Haven’t had time to fly in about 10yrs)
I am planning a solar instal which may take place in the desert. We are totally covered up traveling until Oct and the weather may not allow much time to fool with the coach after then.
Our fridge is a no cold that works great so far. If it fails at some point I intend to replace with a residential so will plan ahead for that.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
I am a tinkerer. I can pretty much build, repair, destroy anything. I run some R/c trucks and will hopefully get to flying my heli while we are out. (Haven’t had time to fly in about 10yrs)
I am planning a solar instal which may take place in the desert. We are totally covered up traveling until Oct and the weather may not allow much time to fool with the coach after then.
Our fridge is a no cold that works great so far. If it fails at some point I intend to replace with a residential so will plan ahead for that.
Oh, I’m a tinkerer, too! Ya want me to save you a spot in La Posa South? - near me, of course. I do all my own solar and am planning an RV solar water heater that will cost less than $60 in parts and a solar oven.

You'll want to sign up with a mailbox company so you can get packages from UPS and FedEx. I'll send you a link. Also a link for some great solar panels - 200 watts only cost $185 shipped.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Oh, I’m a tinkerer, too! Ya want me to save you a spot in La Posa South? - near me, of course. I do all my own solar and am planning an RV solar water heater that will cost less than $60 in parts and a solar oven.

You'll want to sign up with a mailbox company so you can get packages from UPS and FedEx. I'll send you a link. Also a link for some great solar panels - 200 watts only cost $185 shipped.

Right on! I thought of the mail question a few hours ago.
I read all of the links earlier and that will probably be the first area I try. Wife just has to have internet connection doesn't even need super fast!
May have you save a spot!
We are planning to head out the first day the weather on 70 west is clear of snow after Dec 26th!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I found the Verizon data on my phone ran very well before and after the big RV show. During the show there was definitely contention for signal, and the speed went down. You might want to have a backup plan for your wife if she absolutely has to have good connectivity.

And we are now installing 900 watts of panels for our 600 amp hours of batteries. The overkill from the “standard” of matching watts to amp hours is because of the limited daylight in the winter. We had 300 on our previous travel trailer, but the new coach has a residential refrigerator and just more loads in general. I figure worst case in the winter is running the generators an hour or two then letting the solar finish off the batteries.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
This thread is providing a wealth of info! Hopefully there are many others like me that find it. I am greatfull for the input and hope there is more to come to better prepare myself and others for the experience!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #22

It looks like most items are covered here. We stay in LaPosa south as well and use a 35 gal waste tank in the back of the truck (pump in with portable macerator). We can haul fresh water back in another 35 gal tank (both bought @ Tractor Supply) and pump that in with spare water pump. There are garbage dumpsters available and we think the $40 for 14 days is reasonable. Normally stay two months but 6 weeks this year=$120.00. If you stay in the free areas you’ll need to buy water and pay to dump. We have no solar and still get by with generator. I’d recommend an LTVA for the first couple weeks until you get it all figured out. Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe I missed a post but there is a location in Quartzite where you can dump, fill up with water and get propane all at one location. I forgot what we payed for dumping and fresh water but it is available.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Maybe I missed a post but there is a location in Quartzite where you can dump, fill up with water and get propane all at one location. I forgot what we payed for dumping and fresh water but it is available.
RV pit stop
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
RV Pit Stop

» Fees
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
The rv pit stop looks like about $23 to dump and fill so the ltva pass would be about the same cost. Will probably try both set ups and see what we like when we get there.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a very rude employee at RV pit stop. He was annoyed that I didn’t pull my Smart Car forward before securing my propane tanks and mouthed off to me. It takes all of 30 seconds to tie the ropes. I can see that being a challenge if there was a long line of RVs waiting, but there was only 1 in line behind me and they could have filled him from the back tank. So I mouthed back, "well I could take my business elsewhere. " to which he replied, "yes you could". And I have ever since. That was my second and last stop there.

Also be aware that they have a $15 minimum credit card charge. The first time I went I didn’t know that so $9 worth of propane cost me $15. They would not issue me a voucher for the next purchase when I would have known to bringing cash. I shouldn’t have given them a second chance, but they'll never get a third.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #28

Here is my 2 cents on Solar when parked:
I have an LP/AC fridge that I run on AC during the day, even in winter. In addition there is a rv freezer in the basement that only runs on AC/DC, 24/7 so it is a constant drain on the system. I’m 100% LED plus the normal phantom load. I run the inverter every day. I watch as much TV as I wish, charge all my computers, phones, razor, toothbrush etc. I eliminated my starting batteries and went with all house, which are all in the same bay. Thus I have 6-6v AGMs, wired Series/Parallel for starting and house. My battery bank stores 672ah and I have 1,000 watts of Solar on the roof; connected Series/Parallel. My solar panels provide 24v to my charge controller. There is no need to tilt my solar panels. I am usually at 100% State Of Charge by 11am in winter and fully charged by the end of a cloudy day. Without any generator help.

I don’t tilt my panels because of safety. People tilt them on nice days, and take them down in windy rain storms, when no one has any business being on the roof. It is much safer to just buy extra panels. Plus you get their benefit all the time.

We love the boondocking lifestyle. My wife hates rv parks. Side by Side. Boring by Boring. You get your next door neighbors sewer connection as a lawn ornament. And you pay for the privilege.

Tags
arizona, boondocking