RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Best travel day to get a good spot?

Has anyone noticed a pattern of a best day to travel to a new spot?

Generally I would think a weekday would be best just to avoid the weekend crowd, but I am too new to boondocking to tell if it makes a difference.

rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #2

Sunday afternoon. Most all weekenders will be pulling out Sunday morning.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #3

Monday's for me
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Any time other then Friday and Saturday. Sunday's are good as the weekenders have left. A lot depends on where you want to stay.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #5

We've moved successfully Sunday to Wednesday. Thursday is OK but not as quiet as the other days. Never on Fri, Sat or 3-day weekends.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

For any type of CG Sunday afternoon or Monday will be best move in time. Thursdays are usually pretty good into early Friday. After that you can almost hear the weekend warriors come charging down the road.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
.... into early Friday. After that you can almost hear the weekend warriors come charging down the road.
We've volunteered in national and state parks and there's a definite vibe come the weekend. Friday night is noisy as they all finally made it and now the festivities begin. Saturday night is much quieter as everyone was out and about trying to cram in everything to do. Sunday morning all park personnel sighed a big relief as folks were leaving. Sunday afternoon we all had to clean up the campsites and clean out the firepits which most often contained things that should have gone in the trash bins like diapers, cans, leftover food. We loved Mondays!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

As a fulltimer and mostly a boondocker, for the last six years I've stayed on lots of BLM land, national forests, and state parks where boondocking is allowed. And I agree with what everyone has said. The best time to get someplace is Sunday afternoon to Thursday afternoon, unless of course there's a three-day weekend and then its best to get there on Monday afternoon. But on big holidays such as 4th of July I have found that people start showing up on Thursday.

None of that of course is written in stone and can vary from place to place but it's the general rule that I go by living as a boondocker.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
For 15 years we’ve had good luck getting a site for a big rig by showing up late Sunday or Monday, especially in those CGs that do not take reservations... our favorite. Except on holiday weekends we will leave Friday to resupply, dump, and travel to our next destination usual staying in a private CG one night.

Couple summers ago we went into S Lake Tahoe on Labor Day without reservations getting into our first choice of CGs. NO, not on Friday but Monday when the working folks have to go home. Since it was a holiday weekend, coming in Sunday would not have worked.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #10

If we are hoping to snag a spot without any kind of reservation, I think Monday or even Tuesday is the ticket. Some weekenders will take an extra day or two and tag it to the weekend. Tuesday is pretty solid for me.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I notice a lot of FT people wait and leave on Mondays all the weekend warriors go on Sunday but they always wait till the last minute. Thursdays it get noticably busier. I would say Monday through Wednesday.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #12

Sunday or Monday for me
Old 07-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #13

Since rbTN asked about boondocking, while in the boondocking forum, I assume he means getting to a boondocking area on public land. Reservations don't apply.

So, I agree with the "any day but Friday, Saturday, or Sunday morning, unless it is a holiday weekend. Then, the best time to arrive is the day before you got there. ;D Really, for boondocking, if the area is large enough, you should be able to find something away from others, almost any day. We just went up on Friday (DW was out of town until Thursday night), July 3, when many other people had already gone up on Thursday. We followed a trailer into the area, and they drove right past a spot that DW wanted to check, and it turned out to be a great spot. We walked up the road in the direction the other trailer went, and while there were others camped in the mile, or so, that we walked, there were still sites available on Saturday. We drove another Forest Service road in the general area on Saturday afternoon, and there were still a few sites available far enough from others to have been acceptable.

It really depends on where you are headed. Some spots may have fewer options, while other areas may have lots of land, and many good spots. Can't wait to retire, and get to check out public lands in different parts of the country!
LoveToGlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #14

thanks for all the replies -

yes I was referring mainly to boondocking spots, but I guess a FCFS campground would be pretty much the same.

Since I posed the question I watched it unfold where I am now. I chose to get a private campground spot for the 4th thinking the dispersed camping would be full, boy was that an understatement, full and then some on Friday!

I went back by those spots on Sunday afternoon, some thinning but not much. By Monday afternoon when I pulled into the area I really liked, it was empty!

I have to say, having all the hookups is convenient, but I am set up to boondock with solar and extra fresh water and there is nothing like waking up, looking at your windows at the *in my case this week mountains*, have a moose cow and calf walk by your window, and you can barely see the other rigs around you.

rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel