Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Big Bend TX

We will be going through Tx in Oct and want to camp(boondock),i was there 30 years ago and camped.Was reading that you can no longer boon docking with Gen running.We have solar but will need to run gen sometimes.2004 40' Monaco. Has anyone been there lately.
Thank for any info.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
tagcat, We stayed in Big Bend in in Feb. this year at the Rio Grande Village RV Campground ( Rio Grande Village RV Campground - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service) ). We did not boondock. We did notice that there was a camping area that did not have hook ups. I would guess that you could contact the Rio Grand Village for information.

You can see our stay this year in our blog. Click on NEWER POST for additional postings of the park:
RVGR8escape: BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX FEBRUARY 5, 2014

Safe travles and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
big bend

RV735,Thanks for the info.Starting july 1st we leave for our full time adventure.We will start in Bath Maine then start working our way west.As the weather starts getting cooler start going south.We will stop by Ft Worth Tx and visit my 93 year old mother,then start working our way to big bend.
I have a friend that will help us to set up our own blog so people can follow us and see were we have been and were we are going.
I will save your blog site and see what you are up to. I am a artist will be making the art shows alone the way also.
Thanks again. Tim (aka tagcat)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
From the Big Bend NPS website:

"Generator use is permitted in designated areas between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m in the Rio Grande Village campground. Generator hours in the Chisos Basin campground are 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. Idling vehicle engines are considered generators in this regard. No generators are allowed at Cottonwood Campground."

More here:

Campgrounds - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's our blog post for the Rio Grand campground with no hookups. We loved it

Rio Grande Village

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering that you are driving a 40 foot coach only Rio Grande and Cottonwood are contenders for you. I do not recommend that you go up to Chisos with that large of a rig. But by all means enjoy Big Bend it is great!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

Big Bend NP has numerous dispersed camping sites that are secluded and filled with wild life. There are a few that would take a 40' motorhome. You need to discuss with the folks at Panther Junction. We spotted three Javelinas wandering by our spot near Grapevine Hill.

Look at the article on Primitive Roadside Campsites— Improved Dirt Roads on the Big Bend National Parks "camping" site.

Campsite Specifics
•GH-1 is a large site and can accommodate 3 vehicles, 20 people, no horses.
•GH-2 and GH-3 are adjoining sites; each can accommodate 2 vehicles, 6 people, no horses.
•GH-4 and GH-5 can accommodate 2 vehicles, 6 people, no horses

I agree with Dave that Chisos is probably not for a 40' motorhome.

We are solar autonomous and did not use a generator while we were there any of the three times we have visited Big Bend. There are some really great walks. There are a number of tinajas (water holes) in the canyons and the walks can be rugged but worthwhile
Reed and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mom, wait up!.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	64901  
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big Bend - Pine Canyon Backcountry

I enjoyed all the campgrounds in Big Bend. Each offered its own unique environment. Smaller RVs may enjoying camping in a remote backcountry area. I found a Pine Canyon remote campsite to be exactly what I was looking for with spectacular scenery. No generators were allowed there and I relied on my solar panel for power.

110200- Big Bend National Park - Rio Grande Village/Pine Canyon Backcountry - CasitaAdventures
baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
My family made a trip to Big Bend every year when I was growing up in west Texas. We camped on the River mostly and floated the Mariscal canyon daily while fishing. It was very primitive with little to no supervision and we loved it.

Fast forward 30 years. The beautiful camp area where I spent many nights at the foot of the Mariscal Canyon was unrecognizable due to a fairly recent flood that totally changed the landscape along the river. There was no way we could get our rig back there anyway. I have no idea how my grandparents and family got their TT's in there over the 14 miles of rough roads and through washes. We stayed in the campground at RGV w/o hookups. The one with hookups is litterally a paved parking lot. It is a nice park and quiet times are strictly enforced. We drove around 100 mi of off road trails while there.

If you go, you need to visit Terlingua and Lajitas which is out the west entrance. Depending on your timing, the Terlingua International Chili Cookoff is 10/30 - 11/1. The drive west from Lajitas along the Rio Grande River and through Big Bend Ranch SP is one of the most scenic drives in Texas. "Closed Canyon" in BBRSP is a short 1/4 mi hike is a must see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	66261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	66262  

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	66263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0249.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	66264  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We will check this out.We will be finished with our east coast art shows the middle of Sept.That is when we will start our way towards Texas.Thanks for the update.
See you on the road tagcat. P.S. We will be launching our web site this week i will post the address when set up.