Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Black tank question

Hope this is the right place for this.
On an average because I understand everyone is different but How long on an average will a black tank go without being emptied? gallons per day per person? is there a rule of thumb? I am looking to purchase a toted trying to figure out what size. We've always had a sewer guy stop by every two weeks to empty our that was set on a lot for weekend use but am planning a boone docking trip.
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #2

We can stretch ours to a week. There are just 2 of us. We play the let yellow mellow game when boon docking.

“If yellow, let it mellow, if brown, flush it down.” This does not apply to travel days.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Size matters, what size is the tank?

Our 62 gallon black tank can get almost 3 weeks with 2.

As far the yellow mello thing, turn your pump off flush it down, use a small amount of water that you washed the dishes with to clean the bowl if you wish.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

We get about 5 days on a 40 gallon black tank with nothing but the toilet plumbed to it. We don't particularly conserve water when flushing.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm assuming you have a gray tank as well. If so- that's the one that will fill much faster. One way to stretch it out is to add a knife valve to the sewer outlet...leave this one closed and both the gray and black valves open. This will equalize the tanks leaving you more space in the gray. The dish water trick mentioned above is a good conservation method too. To directly answer your question: Our black would probably go a week and a day maybe (44 gals.) -2 people. Never dry camp so I dump every few days to keep the odors down and it makes flushing easier when we leave.

Have fun out there!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We go about 10 days with black and grey tanks. We have a 12 gallon tote and a 24 gallon tote. When traveling we only carry the 12 gallon tote. If you are near the dump station, you can pull or tow the larger totes, but if you have to drive any distance, the over 12 gallon totes are to heavy to handle. We usually make two or three trips with the 12 gallon tote. We just carry it in the back of our Jeep or Equinox.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks everyone
We will be on our property so I think I will leave the grey tanks drain in the yard till I get close to dumping Black tank I will save some grey for hose flush
Steve,N,Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

There are too many variables for a one size fits all answer. We have gone over a week on a 45 gallon black tank with nothing but the toilet connected. Normally we get 3-4 days on the 45 gallon grey tank. There are some tricks to lenthening the time on grey. Use a dishpan and dump the dishwater down the toilet. Run the shower wand into the toilet until the water gets hot and so on. Then you are often able to get both tanks full at the same time for dumping.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

You stated you're planning for a boondocking trip but in another post you said you'll be on your property. ???

If you're boondocking on public lands think about hauling a tote (very heavy) to the nearest dump station which could be many miles away.

We could last about 12-14 days before having to dump and by that time we were ready to move on anyway so we just found a dump station as we were heading to our next stop. We didn't bother with totes.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Just to add more data to the sample size, we have 25 gallon gray and black tanks. We boondock most of the time. The gray tank needs emptying after five days. (We take Navy showers every evening.) Sometimes, we dump some of the gray water into the toilet, using a bucket.

We probably could go ten days without dumping the black tank, but we have never gone that long because of the need to dump the gray tank.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One person, 60 gallon each black and grey tanks. No idea on the black as I've never filled it over half way in 2 weeks, even when my wife was alive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #12

It is generally legal to take outdoor showers and dump dishwater if using biodegrabke soap.

We do not put TP down toilet. It can be burned at campfire. We use the restrooms at FS and BLM campgrounds if available. We generally disperse camp and black water lasts 2 to 3 weeks; 3 to 4 weeks at FS or BLM CGs
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #13

For Black Tank space just go pee outside. When we really want to maximize tanks I use the outdoors. Except at night when I wake up because I don't want a bear to eat me. Lol
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
It is generally legal to take outdoor showers and dump dishwater if using biodegrabke soap.
Not true in Oregon and hasn't been since the 70's at least.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank