Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

BLM Camping Question

We do a fair amount of "boondocking" near where we live, but all of that is in free BLM camping areas. We have not stayed in any of the BLM land that charges for a 2 week stay, but are heading to Yuma, AZ and the only BLM land that I know of in the area charges with a maximum stay of 14 days, so I have a question or two. Or three.

When you stay at a fee based BLM campground do you get a specific location? And have to stay in that location? I assume there are no "sites" in these places so I refer to the camping spot as a location.

Can you leave and come back during that 14 day period? Or do you have to stay camped? If you can leave, do you have to come back to the same location? Or can you use any place in the open area?

If you are leaving and plan to come back that day, do you mark your location? And if you end up in another location how does the local host know you have paid? By your tag number? Or do you get some receipt?

I just don't know how this all works on BLM land where there are charges. Thanks for any help.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Staying on BLM LTVAs(Long Term Visitor Areas) is much like saying the 14 day free areas, except in the LTVAs there is access to fresh water, a dump station, and a place to get rid of garbage.

When you come into a LTVA you pay $40.00 for a two week stay, you can pay $180.00 for the "season" and a sticker is placed on your RV and your tow vehicle or your toad if you have one.

Also, you can renew your "two week" stay as many times you want.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Thank you.

In the free areas we have used there were never any stickers or other ways to indicate when you arrived, so the only way I can see for them to enforce the 14 day limit was for someone to come around and take down license plate numbers. We have never stayed at any of those areas for longer than 2 days, and I have never seen anyone take any information, so I did not know what happens in the LTVA areas.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Coming into Q I 10 west take the second exit bridge turn left over the bridge you will come to a tee Doom Rock road turn left everything on the right is free BLM that’s just one place around Quartisite.
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
There are a number of free areas in the Yuma/Quartzsite area. However, if you stay in one you will have to pay for dumping and fresh water in town. The paid LTVAs give you free water, trash, and dumping, and the price is awfully close to dump fees for a two week stay. For a seasonal stay, the $180 is a great deal considering the water and dumping cost in town. And they really do check your stickers at the dump/water station! There is someone stationed there all the times the water is turned on. Whether free or paid, the sites are pretty much “find a spot wherever you want.” They are definitely not set up like a campground. However the “good” sites (good drainage, not in a wash, not too sandy, not right on the road, etc.) have been used extensively for many years and you can tell where they are.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of more points on the LTVAs.

You can buy a two week pass at one LTVA, and it is good at ALL the LTVAs.

Another is check out time. Your two week permit expires at midnight on the date on your sticker, so you can stay that night because they dont come around at midnight and kick you out, but you can not use the dump, or get water the next morning.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #7

Some BLM sites are Free, but no services provided. They do ask you to register.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

I forgot about the BLM behind the VFW 5 miles north of Yuma on 95 . The VFW has dancing and dinning several times a week . It’s flat hard packed ground . There is senators wash or Martinez lake through Yuma proving grounds. That is about 25 miles from know where but there is nice canteen on the river with food and cold beer pool tables.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Staying on BLM LTVAs(Long Term Visitor Areas) is much like saying the 14 day free areas, except in the LTVAs there is access to fresh water, a dump station, and a place to get rid of garbage.
I assume that is true for some BLM LTVA access areas but it apparently is not true for all or, perhaps, even most.

We just returned from the LTVA area at Pilot Knob just outside of Yuma and they do not have water or a dump station and when I asked about them the host opened a map and showed me that of the 7 BLM LTVA areas in their vicinity only 1 had water all the time, 1 had a limited amount of water and there remaining 5 locations had no water. 4 of the 7 had a dump station while the other 3 did not. Some locations were near commercial water and dump stations, although there may be an additional fee for those and I ended up paying $15 to use the dump station at a nearby gas station.

The Pilot Knob LTVA area was very nice other than the lack of facilities, although one thing it did have that I was not expecting as a train crossing and about a half dozen loud whistles during the otherwise quiet night.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadglide54 View Post
Coming into Q I 10 west take the second exit bridge turn left over the bridge you will come to a tee Doom Rock road turn left everything on the right is free BLM that’s just one place around Quartisite.
Based on your "Q" and I-10 I assume you are referring to Quartzsite, but we were trying to find someplace near Yuma.

We generally use the Roadrunner free camping location when at Quartzite and did so when we left Yuma. It was nearly empty and so very, very quiet. Slept well.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
The paid LTVAs give you free water, trash, and dumping
Some do. Not all. The Pilot Knob LTVA area outside of Yuma has neither water nor a dump station. They did have trash containers.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Based on your "Q" and I-10 I assume you are referring to Quartzsite, but we were trying to find someplace near Yuma.

We generally use the Roadrunner free camping location when at Quartzite and did so when we left Yuma. It was nearly empty and so very, very quiet. Slept well.
Sorry about that number 8 post I mentioned Yuma area.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #13

In Florida we do not have any BLM [Moderator Edit] camping areas . I am very surprised that there are so many available in other States.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
In Florida we do not have any BLM [Moderator Edit] camping areas . I am very surprised that there are so many available in other States.
Florida has too many people!! No room for big expanses of public land. There are national forests which can be similar in some respects. Check them out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping