RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

Boondock near Cape Canaveral

Hi - We'll be in Florida at Dupuis WMA Campground between March 5th and 12th, but looking for some place else to boondock, closer to Cape Canaveral. Hoping to view a major launch during the time we are there. Any help would be appreciated.

GaryS1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Not much to be found on the Florida east coast, there are a couple of WMA which may or may not be open, depending on when you get there. Look in here https://freecampsites.net

Not all that close to the Cape. Of course we can see launches from where we live, well over a 100 miles away, so those will be closer but not close. The only place to camp with a view of the launch pads is Jetty Park, that I know of, which is on the beach and is a county park with fees and can be hard to get into.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Not much to be found on the Florida east coast, there are a couple of WMA which may or may not be open, depending on when you get there. Look in here https://freecampsites.net

Not all that close to the Cape. Of course we can see launches from where we live, well over a 100 miles away, so those will be closer but not close. The only place to camp with a view of the launch pads is Jetty Park, that I know of, which is on the beach and is a county park with fees and can be hard to get into.
We are actually just hoping to stay relatively close by. If there was an actual launch scheduled we'd drive closer and or buy a pass to watch.

Thanks!
GaryS1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

Scheduled Launches

The only launch I see near the dates you mention is as follows:

13 MAR: A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket will launch the sixth Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) satellite for the U.S. military. The AEHF-6 mission will lift off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, during a 2-hour launch window that opens at 3:45 p.m. EDT (1945 GMT).
SunViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunViking View Post
The only launch I see near the dates you mention is as follows:

13 MAR: A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket will launch the sixth Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) satellite for the U.S. military. The AEHF-6 mission will lift off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, during a 2-hour launch window that opens at 3:45 p.m. EDT (1945 GMT).
Sounds like something cool to see
SrfsideNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

You'll be able to see it in the sky from Three Lakes WMA. I winter on the west side of Orlando and see almost all the launches. Yep, they are pretty cool. If you like that stuff you should try and see one from the Cape itself.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

My advice to you is if you want to see a launch from your RV, try getting a reservation at Port Canaveral Campground. You get full hookups and you are only a few miles down the coast from the launch pads in use right now.

www.portcanaveral.com
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #8

We stay at Manatee Hammock County park, in Brevard county to watch launches.
We have watched a few there and a few out on the beach.

It has a water view that you can see the launch pad from.

There is RV parking ( Daytime only ) out on Playalinda beach of the Canaveral National Seashore. Lot #3 I think. Expect a lot of traffic on launch days.

As far as boondocking, there is a street in front of the Titusville City Marina that I have seen RVs park all night at. Don't know if they sleep in them though.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Hello

Are you still looking for a Rocket viewing site try this https://goo.gl/maps/UP9x4drybwefLwNC6

We stayed there 24 hours last spring for a SpaceX launch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190301_120057.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	276167  
DRvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvt View Post
Hello

Are you still looking for a Rocket viewing site try this https://goo.gl/maps/UP9x4drybwefLwNC6

We stayed there 24 hours last spring for a SpaceX launch

There is a Launch scheduled for 8:15am or so tomorrow <wed 3/17/20>

I am here in Port Canaveral parked in the Boat trailer parking lot where cars/trucks can park next to the rv camground.I I can probably get away with booncocking here tonight but I am Going to hit the grocery store now and check out your suggested location.
SrfsideNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #11

We stayed the day at New Smyrna Beach Sunday 3/15 but SpaceX scrubbed the launch at the last minute. We are now home in Vermont in seclusion to protect ourselves and neighbors. It was a great trip we dry camped in Ocala NF and kept to our self's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_112230.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	278521  

DRvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock