Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #1

Boondockers Welcome

Since Harvest Host added Boondockers Welcome to the mix I've been wondering how people use it. I'm accustomed to staying at a winery or museum, but never at someone's home.

How much interaction do you usually have with the host? We don't know if they expect us to mind our own business and stick close to our RV, or are our new best friends. I'm sure it is somewhere in between. Plus, are most ok with one night and gone? Or do they want you there a couple of nights?

One more thing to worry about when planning a trip.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 10:00 AM   #2

We’ve met some of our new best friends through Boondockers Welcome. Some as hosts ourselves, and also being guests with others. The big difference between HH and BW, is that BW are RVers too.

Harvest Hosts have rather large properties because of their business, but often know little to nothing of the enjoyment or concerns RVers. They often expect that you’ll purchase something from their business while there.

Boondockers typically exchange a small gift of some sort for allowing you on their property if even for just one night. What you do while there, is usually discussed upon arrival, but there’s no pressure either way. Also, a lot of them post that they offer water, or electricity of some sort because they have an RV themselves. Some hosts, as we did, offer up to 30 or 50 amp for air conditioners if the weather gets hot, and you offer some small compensation……still way less than anything of a campground fee. Because you’re both RVers, if there’s help needed with your rig during your travels, they know where and who are closest……you ARE in their backyard so to speak. You all share all kinds of other camping tips and tricks.
Each host lists how many nights maximum you may stay (Maximum is 3 I believe), what size unit they can accommodate, parking on grass or gravel or pavement, pull through or back in, local things to see and do, etc. etc.
Just know that in order to get more details on any of the hosts, you must sign up, but in my opinion, it’s money well spent.

We’ve never ever been disappointed with hosting or visiting…..sometimes more than once.

My sticker says….

“I camp for free with friends I haven’t met yet.”
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Thank you, We exchanged several posts about boondocking in Canada when we were planning our trip to Toronto just before the pandemic shut everything down.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

KenandTerry's post above is a spot on description of what Boondockers Welcome is all about. It is sad however that HH is making it harder to use the service such as visitors (to BW website) cannot zoom in or see specific host details. I understand that when it is a commercial establishment where if you know about it, you don't have to register with HH to use it. So, HH loses business by showing details to non members. But individuals? Is it a security thing? Have hosts been spammed by BW visitors?

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

I hosted with boondockers welcome for 3-4 years until we sold our old house last year, and also stayed with a couple of hosts while traveling.

On the hosting side I would have on average 2-3 guests per year, most would stay 2-3 days, my house was within easy walking distance of downtown in the small town of 10,000 people where we live, ie 4 or 5 dining options, local farmers market, local museum, local library all within a sub 5 minute walk. In general my interaction with guest was limited to greeting them, and possibly saying hi if I saw them walking to and from their RV, occasionally I might knock on their door to make sure their stay was going ok.

My experience with being a guest has been much the same.

I am considering hosting again once we get moved into our new house, though I am not sure as I have less RV parking and would be limited to about a 30x30 paved secondary parking pad on a residential street under a large live oak tree.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #6

RE: Harvest Hosts and RVers
We try to get involved with our hosts. 2 Examples both on PEI. We picked berries and green beans on one and I gave my green beans to a worker that could use extra money turn out her husband was a commercial fisherman and she brought us fresh fish and shell fish the next day. I believe we stayed there for almost a week. The other was a dairy farm and we helped in the barn feeding livestock. The farm owner took me in his pickup to see other crops on his farm.

Interaction is always the best policy for us, we enjoy getting involved. Just looking for a place to park gets really boring. We always interact with the locals.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree 100% with the comment that the best thing about Boondockers Welcome is your hosts are RVers too. As for interaction, most listings will provide enough information for you to see if your hosts enjoy lots of interaction or not. We have had it both ways. We have also been to places where the host wanted interaction but we were tired or the weather was bad or for other reasons we didn’t. As for a small gift for your host, I give them two microwave bowl cozies I make. I pick cute RV or regional fabrics, and they have always been delighted. I do know many people don’t provide small gifts, nor are you required to, because of the surprise our hosts have always shown. We only use BW on travel days, not for destinations. The sites are supposed to be an overnight, or at most a two or three nights. This isn’t the way to have a cheap vacation in a single location! I have been vocal in my dislike for the Harvest Hosts purchase. Lots of problems with the integration, and their website went backwards in functionality when it got combined with HH. Hoping they get things straightened out. The price is going way up for new members without any improvements in the product.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #8

Haven't had much luck with HH, but BW has been fantastic. So many truly helpful people interested in sharing their camping experiences. It has been so good we decided to become a host this year. Hope we can help others enjoy the experience as much as we have.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #9

What the heck, each time I answer a question on my BW profile there is another! References? Are they going to be emailing or calling my friends and family? I understand we are staying on private property, but ??

Did BW have problems in the past with people showing up other than the ones providing a photograph, rig information, photo of rig, I'm also not comfortable posting my photo on their website. I have concerns that it is a way to profile potential guests. I've put in a request to cancel that part of my HH.

I am sure BW is wonderful and I'm sure their attorneys have given them an excellent reason for the additional hoops. Doesn't mean I have to like the hoops.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #10

I'm till debating and in communication with Tim at HH.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #11

Doesnt seem like either program would work for us on our travel days as we usually roll in around 4-5pm in the summer and leave early the next morning? I dont like exchanging gifts or feeling obligated to buy products( assuming the business would be open?). I wish there was an option/expectation to purchase a certain $amt of product or if both HH and BW gave us the option to elect to pay an agreed upon fee as an alternative. The advantage is the locations. The disadvantage is feeling obligated to socialize or tour, play golf, etc. I think it is a great concept and would work if we intended to stay in an area for 2-3 days. But just rolling in and out would make us very boring and not very entertaining company to the hosts.. We wouldnt be much value added to those folks I am afraid.....
Old 05-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #12

Boondockers Welcome would probably work for you, from the host side I try to greet guest when they show up, give them a quick lay of the land on what is within easy walking distance (farmers market, local museum, dining options, etc.). Some would stay just 1 night, one guy stayed almost a week. No real obligation to socialize, my experience with being a Boondockers welcome guest was much the same the couple of times I have been a guest, ie 3-5 minute welcome, local area orientation, then take off the next morning.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am a BW host and use it sometimes while traveling. Most of my guests stay for just one night. I'm hands off and don't charge any fees. Show up, do your thing and leave the next day or two. I'm a bit out of the way though so I've only had about 10 guests so far.

Most hosts I've stayed with want to chat a bit when you first arrive, help you into the spot, tell you which water spigot to use, etc. There is no requirement or expectation of payment if it's not specifically spelled out in the listing, but BW does tell you to offer "donations" if using hookups.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #14

Thanks all, I completed my profile and it's now official.

BW states they want all to feel welcome. I kind of kind of taken back by a posting they did for hosts about suggesting they remove banners and other signs so all will feel welcome.

Tags
boondock