Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #29

I have a built in 5500 propane with smart control panel that can be set to auto start when demand for air or charging even when not home which is nice for say leaving pets as can set ac thermostat and gen starts when air conditioner wants to start and shuts off gen when done,
While true it seems to use a fair bit of propane I do enjoy not having to be concerned with old fuel gumming up a carb in the off season. It's always ready too go.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #30

I am leaning towards the built in lp gen for those reasons. I've been looking at fuel consumption numbers and we are camping now and trying to remember to keep a running total of fuel used. That will give me a better idea of the LPs fuel usage. Already planning to bring 2 spare 30# lp tanks. Almost 30 hours into a 10 day trip and we went through about 10 gals. Bad for us considering its been low to mid 90's with heat index in the upper 90's to low 100's. Fuel burn numbers is for a 3k Honda Eu for your info.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #31

The other thing we do to save propane is use an EU2000 camo for light loads like putting out slides charging batts or watching tv, basically anything we don't need the big boy for. Doing it this way our two 40s last several weeks barring much furnace use. I use ethanol free premium in the 2000 so less chance of fouling and the thing about fuel stabilizer is they have a shelf life about the same as ethanol free premium so don't use it any more.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #32

I use a champion 4000 camper gen. It runs my 15000 btu ac with everything on except the water heater. I put that on gas. It burns 3.8 gal in 12 hrs. Cost $300 at tractor supply. 46514
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #33

How loud is that one? If I go portable I want inverter so in 60 desibles or quieter so you barely hear it.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #34

It's louder than one honda because it runs at a constant 3600 rpms and the sides are not completely closed in but my cousin had 2 honda 2000s companions running at the same time and when the ac would kick on the two genies they would rev up and mine and his two were not that much different until the ac would kick off then the gennies would idle back down then they were much quieter. I didn't have the money for two Hondas so I bought a champion on sale for $300. We only use it for the Fourth of July once a year on our own land. I don't go to parks with it because they have electricity where we go. The Hondas would get about six hours hrs on his camper but my champion would run all night without running out of gas. The dbs were 68 so it's louder than the honda. My champion has the rv plug so no adapter was needed. The 46514 is the quietest one I could find in that price range. I also have a champion 4500 but it has more engine noise and only gets ten hours run time. I had a big 5500 but sold it because it was loud and burned a lot of gas. I also put a table in the front of it to deflect the noise the other way. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #35

Thank it does. Will look at that, but it might still be too heavy for me to lift by my self. Need to be around 80 lbs or less.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #36

I just looked and there $279 at cabellas and it's 100 lbs 193 reviews
Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
Agree ^ If this one ever goes out ....> I'll replace it with a diesel .
Heres somebody that knows what they are talking about.

I boodocked for the last month out here in Quartzsite.

With 1k of solar i spent 60.00 on Diesel and 50.00 on propane for waterheater and Norcold propane fridge. Ran the genset about 1.5 to 2hrs/evening.

Would never have done it if I had a lp or gas generator. Might not be practical with your current rig but just real world numbers.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator