Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #1

Boondocking around Moab? 34' 5r?

We are looking for spots we can fit in around Moab Utah. We have a 34' 5R , Rt UT-128 seems to have a lot of free camping just outside Moab but not much information on size limits. Has anyone gotten into any of the BLM camping in this area with a 5R? We only need a couple days. To Sort out a couple issues with the Rig. We are hoping to develop a route between LTVA and SD each year, if none of these places are appropriate any suggestions for boondocking or dispersed or otherwise around Moab and anyone know if the recent floods around Moab has caused any issues we should know about? Thanks
Drifter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 11:46 PM   #2

This may be overkill for you but this is an excellent overview of boondocking in Moab:

https://www.discovermoab.com/blm-campgrounds/

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #3

128 can be tough. Most of the campsites are along the river with tight maneuvering. More research considering your size and map studying is needed.

191 North of Moab has plentiful boondocking options that accommodate everything you can imagine.

I would definitely get there (wherever there is) in daylight hours because it would be tough choosing a spot in the dark.

*** I just spent two days circling around that area this past weekend.
Scott 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #4

It's been a couple of years but we were able to find an overflow spot here for $5.00 a night. Not free but close.....

38.64929, -109.47933
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

We've stayed along the river a couple of times, but the only spots are in the campgrounds and not really boondocking. Usually we head to Horsethief campground. It's got a bunch of sites for bigger rigs and we've never had a problem finding an open one. No services to speak of, dirty pit johns and a full garbage dumpster are the norms. On the positive side, the CG itself is laid out nicely, a number of the sites have great desert vistas and the CG itself is usually pretty clean. Last time we were there it was only $5/night with the old fart pass. BLM or NPS own most of the land around Moab and both feel there is too much human impact. NPS for sure and BLM recently have been doing all they can to lower the impact. No boondocking is one way they have been controlling people. I don't like it, but after seeing the stupid crap some people pull, I understand why. Moab has traditionally been one of our favorite places, but we've taken to bypassing it recently due to the overcrowding.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:12 AM   #6

I looked into Horse Thief we stopped at a BLM spot before it the rates around here must have doubled $20 "without the pass we have one" a night probably to deter the less desirables. The place we stopped at was almost full when we pulled in then suddenly Half of them left after I unhooked. I checked the tags all of them were expired 5 days ago. I guess they were pushing their luck trying not to pay . The tags were all from the same NW state. They left a small mess �� these are the people that ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #7

Yep, go north of Moab, just a few miles, so not far. It is just over the top of the hill where the BLM land is. There is a campground you pass also.
The BLM land is dirt roads and good enough shape the first mile at least. Fewer spots for giant rigs, but smaller rigs should have no troubles finding a spot.
On the east side of the road are dirt roads on BLM land that you should be able to drive in with a giant thing. The west side is more for capable vehicles.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobertgoes View Post
Yep, go north of Moab, just a few miles, so not far. It is just over the top of the hill where the BLM land is. There is a campground you pass also.
The BLM land is dirt roads and good enough shape the first mile at least. Fewer spots for giant rigs, but smaller rigs should have no troubles finding a spot.
On the east side of the road are dirt roads on BLM land that you should be able to drive in with a giant thing. The west side is more for capable vehicles.
We stayed at Courthouse Rock a few days then moved to Horsethief. For a few more before heading to the AZ border. Was a nice place Courthouse Rock was a little tricky at the railroad crossing just off the road a dozen or so jeeps were parked just after the cattle grate leaving my 5R hanging on the active railroad tracks till they moved. But the campground was very quiet and far enough off 191 that you couldn't here any traffic. We even took a chance on the Canyon Lands switchbacks our RAM 2500 even with the heavy Cummins in it made it down and out the other end a few hours later. The Thelma and Louise Jump was done there. It's not marked GPS with offline maps will find it . Definitely not for the faint of heart or if It rains you might get stuck down there. A experience I would do again. Glad we stopped here.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #9

@Drifter, did you have to make any multipoint turns on the switchbacks? I was going to do the same drive but wasn't sure if I would block traffic, etc.
Old 10-10-2022, 12:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
@Drifter, did you have to make any multipoint turns on the switchbacks? I was going to do the same drive but wasn't sure if I would block traffic, etc.
What is your vehicle? What trail are you talking about? He just mentioned 'Canyonlands' switchbacks but there are many trails in Canyonlands.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #11

I took it to mean the South side trail/s that go down the cliffside with shelf roads. 2500 but it could be applicable to any full size truck.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #12

Probably the Schaefer trail. Been down it many times no need to worry about multi point turns it is wide enough. Have done it in my crew cab long bed ram before. There are some narrower areas but the switch backs are ok. If someone else is coming up you may want to wait for them at a turn other than that not much of an issue width wise on the switchbacks. It is an excellent way to feel very adventurous with great scenery without the worry of any vehicle damage.
I have never had an issue doing it however have had others in the vehicle and one or two of them over the years pretty much put a bag over their head going down the switchbacks. Beyond me why as the road is plenty good on the switchbacks a long way down yes but it is not like your tires are running on the edge of the shelf or anything.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #13

Thanks Barry!
Old 10-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #14

Here's a photo of the Schaffer Trail:

https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/exper...afer-trail.htm

and the White Rim Rd.

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

and other 4x4 trails in Canyonlands - in the same area as the above two:

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/u...f-road-driving

and in Moab - Fins and Things is a favorite - great up & down fun!

https://www.alltrails.com/us/utah/moab/off-road-driving

Tags
boondock, boondocking