RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

Boondocking Class C vs Class A?

I own a Class B that I have been boondocking all over America solo, love it, but.. I have a family of 5, so I want to upgrade to a Class C or A and bring them with me over the summer months while I'm racing mountain bikes, which brings me to places like Crested Butte CO, Telluride CO, Sturgis SD, Bend OR, Pisgah SC, and many more locations. Most locations are normally a ski town or national forest, nothing I would not worry about driving a honda pilot down, or my van, but a class A?!. I only can recall seeing 1-2 Class A's out in some of these remote places like Camp Oh Be Joyfull in Crested Butte, so I thought I would get some feedback from you all before I start spending money.

Both types I'm looking at are 30-35ft range, and I'll have to tow a 2nd vehicle, but I can't decide if one or the other is better for those condition or not, or am I trying to apply to much of the Class B lifestyle, which is park anywhere and everywhere vs more of the campground/RV park experience that class A's and B's doing more of.

Thanks!

l3vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

In general a class A will more than likely have larger holding tanks. But the class C has the overhead bed.

I can sleep 5 in my class A but the most has been 4.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #3

You will find the class A will normally have more storage capacity , larger holding tanks and be able to carry more than a class C of the same length.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

There are shorter and smaller Class A’s such as in the Newmar Bay Star Sport line that have good tank sizes, decent storage, and can tow a bunch. 5 in any MH is going to be a challenge for other than short trips due to the personal items and storage. You may also want to look at class A’s that have garages for your “toys” and also drop down bunks for the younger set.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

Either will work, if you make up a list of must haves, and one or the other checks all, or most of, the boxes.
How long does any one mountain bike race usually last? That may determine which way to go if you need enough "off grid" capacity to handle 5 people using all the facilities, should you choose to go that route. It would have to be able to be fully self-contained/with no hookups for that length of time.
Sleeping space, water/holding tank capacity, heating/cooling the living space, and AC/DC power are probably the main ones. Added cargo space for clothes and sundries, and your bikes would be in there somewhere.
You said you're going to pull a "towed" so you could drop the MH somewhere safe, like a campground, if you go that route, and use it to get to the competitions.
Dead ends and low/narrow bridges/roads are the bane of the larger motorhome. I know, as I made the switch 2 years ago myself. You do learn to drive like a chess player after a while, thinking several moves ahead.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #6

You would not believe where we have taken our 40' Class A! We didn't boulder hop (towed the Jeep to do that) but we had no issues with gravel roads. We loved boondocking on forest and BLM lands and also like national forest campgrounds. We had no problems finding the perfect spot.

First you need to figure out sleeping space for all. Tents work well. As stated by others, Class A's have a LOT more storage space than a C. You can even fit a bike in the basement bay.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

The events are 1 day to 7 days normally. I spend March - August hopping all over the country, June-Aug I’m 100% hopping from location to location in CO,SD,UT,AZ,OR. For me being close to the venue is very important, I like to step out the van at the trail head type thing.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

Here are some photos from this summer of some of the roads, parking areas I have been with my class B. How comfortable would you be taking your rigs down these roads/locations? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8bvm81nnq...cipGIyS2a?dl=0

I see mostly class B or conversion vans at these venues, trailers, and a few Class C's. Only at Sea Otter Classic, or XC Nationals do I see full on class A's everywhere.

I think in terms of sleeping needs we are good with THOR FOUR WINDS 31E Bunkhouse, I just don't want to buy it and find out it can't go to 90% of the places we need to go or anything like that, compared to my class B.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

In that case, and unless the trail heads are next to full hookup campgrounds, you'll need to size your selection to fit in the trail head parking areas, and have 1-7 days worth of off grid capacity. Again, I think there are options that will work for you in both types of motorhome.
Assuming you get something that easily sleeps 5, AC/DC power, and water/holding tank size, need to be addressed in an off grid sense.
There are some standard ways to get power - solar panels, generators, and lots of batteries probably being the obvious ones.
The water/holding tanks might be an issue, so you'd probably have to be close to a source of water and a dump station, to keep up with that demand.
Climate control inside through 4 seasons also becomes an issue. Propane for off grid heat, and probably running a generator to power A/C might be your best options.
Don't know what your average mountain biker eats, but food storage and preparation will be another issue, unless you jump in the towed at day's end, and drive to the nearest Taco Bell or Burger King?
It can be done, with a little thought and planning, either way.
Sorry, posted this up before seeing your pics. Softer ground may become an issue under the weight of some of the types you're looking at. Narrow roads and low branches, as well.
Nice pics and rig, btw. What about buying a second class B van? Would that work? You'd need a second driver. Less space, but better fuel economy and greater flexibility of where you can park it/them.
Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, class a, class c