Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #71

When hiking with your dw, you don’t have to outrun a bear. You only have to outrun your dw.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomtownDave View Post
" ....I It's gross, but store garbage in you vehicle or away from you high in a tree. Not in a fire pit.
In your vehicle? Not a good idea. I know someone who had their Jeep Cherokee window smashed and inside trashed this past August. The ranger discovered that they had unknowingly left a single empty chocolate candy bar wrapper in the side bin of the door.
I put trash inside an air tight container inside a cooler in the RV when in bear country and a bear-box isn't available. Overkill? Maybe but we've never had a bear encounter even when others in the park did.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #73

We generally spend a week every year, boondocking in the national forest, about 15 miles east of the NE entrance to Yellowstone. Grizzlys are quite common in the area, but we've never experienced a problem with them.

About 10 years ago, a woman was killed by a grizzly while tent camping in one of the nearby campgrounds. Since then, all of the N.F. campgrounds in the immediate vicinity prohibit tents and soft sided campers.

We make sure to maintain a very clean campsite, and stash our grill in the truck, instead of in the RV. We also keep bear spray handy, although we've never needed to use it.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	345669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	345670  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	345671  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #74

Bears

Steps we take:
Clean camp
Locked Doors
Bear bells
Bear Mace
[Mod Edit]
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
My impression is that NPS is doing a pretty good job these days of keeping Yellowstone bears from getting habituated.
.... and yet, there are still some very stupid people out there.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/1...t-yellowstone/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
We generally spend a week every year, boondocking in the national forest, about 15 miles east of the NE entrance to Yellowstone. Grizzlys are quite common in the area, but we've never experienced a problem with them.

About 10 years ago, a woman was killed by a grizzly while tent camping in one of the nearby campgrounds. Since then, all of the N.F. campgrounds in the immediate vicinity prohibit tents and soft sided campers.

We make sure to maintain a very clean campsite, and stash our grill in the truck, instead of in the RV. We also keep bear spray handy, although we've never needed to use it.

Joel
Joel, thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #77

[Mod Edit]

Do you have any data on bears ignoring bear spray after their first encounter? Seems unlikely to me that they can just ignore 3 million scoville units in the eyes, nose, and mouth.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I donít know about a bear, but can tell you from experience that oc spray didnít discourage an angry bull mastiff. A fire extinguisher was then required on future endeavors.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
Do you have any data on bears ignoring bear spray after their first encounter? Seems unlikely to me that they can just ignore 3 million scoville units in the eyes, nose, and mouth.
I've personally seen a black bear ignore repeated blasts of ammonia in his eyes from a sprayer. Bear spray disrupts a bears swallowing , similar to shoving your fist down it's throat. ( Look up a grizzly attack near Choteau mt. A guy flung twice remembered just that and saved his own life. He was torn up but alive.) Chili pepper would accomplish little once the bear knows it won't kill him. Animals do not react to pain like we do. I wonder if they even have the same number of nerve receptors we do. Ideally in your party there will be those with spray,[Mod Edit] and those that run slower than you.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I've personally seen a black bear ignore repeated blasts of ammonia in his eyes from a sprayer. Bear spray disrupts a bears swallowing , similar to shoving your fist down it's throat. ( Look up a grizzly attack near Choteau mt. A guy flung twice remembered just that and saved his own life. He was torn up but alive.) Chili pepper would accomplish little once the bear knows it won't kill him. Animals do not react to pain like we do. I wonder if they even have the same number of nerve receptors we do. Ideally in your party there will be those with spray, [Mod Edit] and those that run slower than you.
Ammonia is not bear spray, and your speculations about how animals react to pain are not data.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #81

This article is the closest thing I could find to scientific documentation of bear spray failing to deter attacks in some cases:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3873165

I can't access the full article without a paid subscription, and there is nothing in the abstract that says whether the attacking bears had prior experience with bear spray. Also note that this is a fairly old article; I don't know if the composition of commercially available bear spray has changed since then.

One thing seems clear from this paper. Bear spray's incapacitating effects don't last forever. Once you've stopped the attack, you need to leave the area as expeditiously as possible. If the attack site is your camp site, leaving immediately may not be possible or desirable. [Mod Edit]
Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #82
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Warning

Numerous posts have been removed or edited due to guns being brought into the discussion. As you are well aware, discussions about guns/weapons is strictly limited by Community Rules.
Quote:
General discussions, statements and images that are political in nature or reference general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #83
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
You're the wildlife biologist and asking on a RV forum what to do in regards to what a bear prefers to eat (smell)?
One bear may run from the smell of a human, 10's of miles away... the next one will be curious and 'knock' on the camper door, who knows what they are looking for.
But you want to take the wife into KNOWN bear territory and camp, ask the local wildlife folks and/or rangers for advice, at least they will know the area and also know if someone is in the woods "feeding" bears and where to look for the body..
I was hoping for some useful suggestions that might be useful for many of us. Hopefully there will be some coming that will answer some of the questions posted.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I was hoping for some useful suggestions that might be useful for many of us. Hopefully there will be some coming that will answer some of the questions posted.
What, exactly, do you want answered?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking