Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #85

It seems to me that it’s best to be proactive, which means, keeping a clean camp. Given all the new RVer’s, I’m sure many will be new to boondocking. I’ve tried to come up with common questions they might have.

1. Is it better to cook inside or outside the RV?

2. In the interest of avoiding smells, what food, if any, do you prepare in advance?

3. What foods do you avoid cooking?

4. Where is the best place to store garbage? Is it okay to store in the RV or tow vehicle? Where should you not store garbage?

5. Given that strong odors can be a problem, is there anything you recommend NOT to bring with you when boondocking.

6. What other tips do you have for keeping a clean camp?

Also:
Any tips on pets, ie. letting the dog out at night?
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
It seems to me that it’s best to be proactive, which means, keeping a clean camp. Given all the new RVer’s, I’m sure many will be new to boondocking. I’ve tried to come up with common questions they might have.

1. Is it better to cook inside or outside the RV?

2. In the interest of avoiding smells, what food, if any, do you prepare in advance?

3. What foods do you avoid cooking?

4. Where is the best place to store garbage? Is it okay to store in the RV or tow vehicle? Where should you not store garbage?

5. Given that strong odors can be a problem, is there anything you recommend NOT to bring with you when boondocking.

6. What other tips do you have for keeping a clean camp?

Also:
Any tips on pets, ie. letting the dog out at night?
1. Depends on what I'm cooking. Fish usually outside. I prefer grilling burgers and steaks outside. I have never made spaghetti on a campfire, but there is always a first time.
2. I prepare in advance for convenience sake, not for odor avoidance.
3. I avoid cooking foods that I don't care to eat.
4. Store garbage in the TV or in a secure area of the TT or use a food pole. Never store garbage out in the open, in a tent, under the trailer or the firepit.
5. I don't worry about it. On second thought, I don't bother to bring cologne with me. Pine and sage are cologne enough for me.
6. Make certain all trash is picked up, all food and beverage containers put away when not in use, pick up after your dogs, keep the children's hands and faces clean of food/candy. All cooking stoves and implements are cleaned and put away. Don't let children take food or candy to bed with them.

Keep pets physically under control at all times. Grizzlies ain't the only toothy critter in the woods and even well trained dogs can be prone to running off after some critter, setting themselves up to become dinner for one of the other predators out there. Coyotes, cougar, even wolves are also in griz country.
Don't let pets out by themselves at night. You should walk them right before bedtime and keep them inside until morning. If a night outing is unavoidable, take a good light and bear spray and put your pet on a leash.

Last of all, don't be paranoid about bears. Let yourself have fun. griz encounters are extremely rare.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
4. Store garbage in the TV

Geez, how big is your TV?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #88

"Any tips on pets, ie. letting the dog out at night?"

Yes, be sure to put some Worcestershire sauce out
with Fido for Mr Griz!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hike a lot with numerous folks and when the topic of bears comes up I say I just use my trekking pole. How does that work? Whack my hiking companion in the knees and start running...

I was at a Scout camp and the troop leader warned me about bear scat sightings around the camp. I said I was all set for that, I brought some bacon grease. Bacon grease? Yep, I put bacon grease all over your tent and I'll be fine.

Photo below taken at an RV park in Chama NM I went to last year. Not a grizzly but you didn't have to tell me twice when it was announced there was a bear in the park. Rangers put out a trap for it but no idea if they caught it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_YogiBear.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	346844  
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #90

Having lived in Alaska and been stalked by a Polar Bear I'm here to tell you Black bears are cute and cuddly. Grizzlies are NBD if you make enough noise and carry spray with a S&W 500 backup.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Having lived in Alaska and been stalked by a Polar Bear .......
Where did you see polar bears in Alaska? Ice fishing on the Artic Ocean?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:19 PM   #92

FYI, White bears have always come ashore in the winter (which is when one tried to eat me) and with the decline of sea ice they are coming ashore much more often. They are also hybridizing with Grizzlies which is a scary thought.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #93

FYI, here is the food storage order for the Bridger-Teton and Shoshone National Forests in Wyoming (big time grizzly country outside of Yellowstone):

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd738994.pdf

The definition of acceptable food storage is pretty long, but here's the part that applies to most RV camping situations:
"Stored in a closed vehicle where the storage compartment is constructed of solid, non-pliable material that, when secured, will have no openings, hinges, lids, or coverings that would allow a bear to gain entry by breaking, bending, tearing, biting, or pulling with its claws (any windows in the vehicle must be closed)..."

Prior to camping there, it's probably worth a discussion with the local Forest Service staff about what this actually means and how they apply it. Sounds like a closed, locked car would fit the bill, but maybe not a TT.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #94

I seem to recall reading a few yers ago that soft-sided pop-up trailers are not allowed on the Cassiar Highway of British Columbia because you're the food in one of them.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #95

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I seem to recall reading a few yers ago that soft-sided pop-up trailers are not allowed on the Cassiar Highway of British Columbia because you're the food in one of them.

Doesn't explicitly state the reason but Lake Louise campground at Banff is segregated into hard and soft.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...ing#lakelouise
TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:03 AM   #96

Quote:
We traveled up the Cassiar on our way to Tuk in 2018 in our Four Wheel Camper with no issues at all. In fact we spent 4 years camping all over BC, Yukon, and the NWT in our pop up with no concerns whatsoever. I spent 2 weeks each, over the past 2 years camped on northern Vancouver Island... with probably the highest concentration of predators anywhere... again with no issues and not a single concern. Honestly, it's kind of a tempest in a teapot issue if you ask me.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #97

"Doesn't explicitly state the reason but Lake Louise campground at Banff is segregated into hard and soft."

I guess that makes it easier to collect the bodies? Plus the people in the hard side don't have to listen to the screaming.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #98

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
"Doesn't explicitly state the reason but Lake Louise campground at Banff is segregated into hard and soft."

I guess that makes it easier to collect the bodies? Plus the people in the hard side don't have to listen to the screaming.
Oh, man! That's bad. Should I feel guilty for laughting?

Take care,
Stu

Tags
boondock, boondocking