Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Boondocking in Ontario

Hi, found this place near Marten River, Ontario in 2014. Used Google Maps to find a potential and stayed nearby to ride my mountain bike and check it out. It appears to be an old "staging" area for logging since the area used to be paved and has lots of open space. Pavement has all broken down and is now gravel, grass and dirt. It's right beside a lake and marshes (i.e mosquitos love it too!).

The access road is on crown land but is not maintained. Not good for Class A or Cs but larger trailers are in here and Sprinter style Class Bs are probably the largest that could get in here. Some people leave their trailers here permanently but by Sunday afternoon, I had the whole place to myself and left on Tuesday.

Posniak Rd runs through this area, but once beyond the camping area, it's strictly 4x4 territory. Last year the road was washed out (couldn't get beyond 3 km). Someone has been maintaining the road this year and rode my bike 7 km in before turning back. This would be great for ATVs.

The lake is good for canoeing/kayaking but not so much for swimming since it has turbid water, lots of sunken logs and ... leeches. The lake used to connect with a smaller one until ... a beaver made a dam.

BTW, my kayak is unique - got it from Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box

More of my photos are found on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97465142@N05

Cheers,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02205.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	98873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02202.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	98874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02200.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	98875   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02188.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	98876  

scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #2

Thanks for the information and photos. It looks great

We plan to go through Canada next summer (had planned for this summer but Elaine had to have total knee replacement this summer - and I am currently in waiting room for her to come out of anaesthesia). The more information we can obtain on boondocking in Canada, the better. We have a lightweight 5th wheel (12,500#= 4920 kilos) which we pull with a Chevie 3500 diesel 4x4 (dualie).The 5th wheel has 27" of clearance on body and normal axle clearance so it can be taken a lot of quasi-offroad places.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #3

Short video

https://youtu.be/Ur2c6mxTWlc

Wasn't able to upload this video directly so here's the YouTube link.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

We have property just a little north west of Marten River, on the south end of Lake Temagami. It's a really beautiful area.

Tags
boondocking