Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 04:11 AM   #1

Smile Boondocking in Texas

Hello community,
I discovered a free boondocking site in the Rio Grande Valley, the Falcon County Park. We are dog owners and are concerned about Javelinas and those spiky goatheads, we have found other places in TX. Has anyone here used this park and can tell us whether it is safe to have a dog there?
Amcantravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #2

We boondock with our dog all the time but never just let him run loose or leave him alone.
Stay alert and armed the closer you get to the border. The migrants are not really an issue but their coyotes will try to intimidate you into moving on if you are camped in their work zone.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcantravel View Post
Hello community,
I discovered a free boondocking site in the Rio Grande Valley, the Falcon County Park. We are dog owners and are concerned about Javelinas and those spiky goatheads, we have found other places in TX. Has anyone here used this park and can tell us whether it is safe to have a dog there?
And donít forget the rattlesnakes. Those fat 8 footers require a lot of adult beverages before you can accept them.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

I would be most worried about coyotes, bobcats, and perhaps a cougar, along with the snakes. Also, wild hogs seem to be a serious problem in many areas.

My dogs are city dwellers, they like to hunt the squirrels, birds and lizards in the yard. I would not want to let them tangle with something larger or more dangerous.

Heck, a racoon, skunk, or even a wild turkey could probably do some harm to my dogs.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #5

Here's a video of the County Park. It's not exactly secluded boondocking - more of a dry campground.

https://thertwguys.com/falcon-county...-free-camping/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #6

I have never paid to boondock in 40 years. We travel with our pets, but never let them run around without being with them. We are never concerned about any predators but the two legged type. We both are always armed... With the Southern Border problems now being experienced, we did not even travel that way the past 2 years, nor will we, until border is safe and secure.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #7

We stayed almost two months at Falcon state park in January and February this year. It was very safe and I felt no need to carry while there or in town. The border is patrolled pretty heavily by at least four different agencies and the Governor has National Guard troops all over right at the border. We drove around the County Park and yes, it is mainly just a dirt area with some running water. We were happy where we were. May end up going back next year after we leave Big Bend depending on the weather.
Old 08-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
I have never paid to boondock in 40 years. We travel with our pets, but never let them run around without being with them. We are never concerned about any predators but the two legged type. We both are always armed... With the Southern Border problems now being experienced, we did not even travel that way the past 2 years, nor will we, until border is safe and secure.
It's definitely not necessary to be armed! Your loss if you avoid places.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:18 PM   #9

I like to be doubly armed, and doubly legged too.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #10

Thank you for your replies. However, I did ask for information regarding whether Javelinas and goatheads (spiky plant seeds) are common on the ground of Falcon Co. Park. Javelinas can be quite aggressive, and pesky goatheads make dog-walking impossible. Of course we keep our dog leashed and don't let her run around on her own. Contrary to what some have voiced here, I am absolutely not concerned over border security, and I am not armed, as Canadians do not run around with guns.
Amcantravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING

Letís stop the conversation about guns. We all know it is a rule violation. Keep the posts to the original topic.

Thank you to those posting within the rules guidelines.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcantravel View Post
Thank you for your replies. However, I did ask for information regarding whether Javelinas and goatheads (spiky plant seeds) are common on the ground of Falcon Co. Park. Javelinas can be quite aggressive, and pesky goatheads make dog-walking impossible. Of course we keep our dog leashed and don't let her run around on her own. Contrary to what some have voiced here, I am absolutely not concerned over border security, and I am not armed, as Canadians do not run around with guns.
Yes, you are going to run across those things. Lots of cactus too.
The "coyotes" that I mentioned are not the 4 legged kind.
I never mentioned any kind type weapons when I said "stay well armed" as everyone has their own solutions. Learning to throw rocks is better than nothing.
You will find 99.9% of all the people to be friendly and helpful. Get over to the Terlingua / Big Bend area if you get a chance. Very beautiful and great star gazing too.
Always carry drinking water in your vehicle and on foot. (It's not necessarily for you)

Tags
boondock, boondocking, texas