Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #15

Look up lobster bar on the rouge river. It is a known camping and fishing spot. Currently 5 RVs here, cell service is slow but text and calls work great, with booster we can stream netflix at night. We love to sit outside and wave at the jet boat tours going by. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_181324.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	214580
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
Is most of the boondocking in the PNW in National Forests?
State forests allow boondocking, look up tillamook state forests. Tons of both dispersed camping spots and boondocking. Ml
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #17

Lots of boondocking opportunities is the 'never green' state.

https://freecampsites.net/

Four years ago we retired, bought a MH for under $10k and headed to Wallula Gap where we have a sail boat. Subsequently, we bought a MH near Yakima, the semi-arid part of the PNW.

First bit advice, do not buy anything with evidence of leaks you can not easily fix.

Second, an $88 Harbor Freight generator does a good job of charging batteries. It took a while to get the Onan running on the MH.

Third, I got my boat to live aboard when I was working a contracting job. Thirty years ago you could write off a lot of travel and temporary living expenses. Also if you have a boat at the marina, you can use that parking lot as a home base. You can also tow a smaller sail boat (22') with a MH.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #18

Old 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
Look up lobster bar on the rouge river. It is a known camping and fishing spot. Currently 5 RVs here, cell service is slow but text and calls work great, with booster we can stream netflix at night. We love to sit outside and wave at the jet boat tours going by. Attachment 214580
Very nice! Thank you, I went to the web site, we will be traveling through Oregon in a couple weeks. I'm going to make a point of staying there 4-5 days. judging by the picture it looks like a 31' 5th wheel will have no problem.
Thank you
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #20

Thanks for all of the replies, and yes I do work for one of the Big 3. I currently work as a FC associate trying to get into a couple of positions up in the Seattle area. I lived up there once before and I am ready to go back. I do have a "home base" up there already in Spanaway, so that solves that problem, right now I am just looking for a small Class C. One thing I do like about Amazon, they do allow Boondocking at FC's.
heavykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #21

I am currently in Seattle urban camping in my 1988 Mallard Sprinter. I have two house batteries, broken gen, and no solar. I find just with running errands each day that i have plenty of juice. Occasionally I run the engine and charge for 1-1 1/2 hours.

Btw, the weather has been awesome here lately. In the upper 80's to mid 90's all summer.
Seattlesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesun View Post
I am currently in Seattle urban camping in my 1988 Mallard Sprinter. I have two house batteries, broken gen, and no solar. I find just with running errands each day that i have plenty of juice. Occasionally I run the engine and charge for 1-1 1/2 hours.

Btw, the weather has been awesome here lately. In the upper 80's to mid 90's all summer.
Where can urban camping be done in Seattle? I thought the parking regs prohibited it.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #23

I see more people urban camp outside of the city, go down to Fife near the port, and several streets are lined with motor homes. I have heard Olympia have started to crack down on over night boondocking in some area's, but I have not been up there since december.
heavykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The sun IS low on the horizon, but in winter, the clouds are going to be a bigger factor. It's pretty grey up here. Mid winter, the sun comes up about 7 A.M. and is gone by about 4 P.M. Anytime between 9:30 and 2:30, the solar would be working O.K. if not overcast.
Also, it's not certain where you're headed, but RV parking in incorporated areas might be tight or not allowed. It was just a matter of time before the permanent WalMart parkers made locals pass laws curtailing parking lot "camping."
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking