Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #15

Call the local DNR (here in MN, the Department of Natural Resources - the people who handle hunting, whatever they call them where you're going.)

They handle similar questions from hunters looking for a spot. Might know where to send you.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmcdowell View Post
I am looking to go to New York, Maine, BC. In Oct.,Nov.
It is a long way across Canada from Maine to BC! As to finding campgrounds, there are a reasonable number open in October. After that, use the “open all year” filter in AllStays Camp&RV. Most years we travel from California to Iowa in mid November. Rarely have a problem finding a spot. We travel south from Iowa after Christmas each year. That requires more planning. We don’t find a campground with full hookups until we get to southern Iowa. You, however, will need to cross the Rocky Mountains, and they snow early. If you have a rig with a heated underbelly and lots of propane, you can do it. However your rig doesn’t sound like that, so you will need to dry camp without access to water. You can flush your toilet with RV antifreeze, but that doesn’t help with drinking water. It gets tougher the colder it is and the higher in elevation you are.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #17

I live in NY and have camped through mid-December, at which point I’ve headed for warmer climates. Some NYS campgrounds are open almost to the end of November. Try Schodack Island State Park near Albany. They’re open with electric until November 26, 2022.

Once the state parks close I’ve found camping through Hipcamp (kinda like the Airbnb for camping) and Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome. Harvest Hosts only allows one night.

Water has been the biggest issue since many campgrounds turn off their water once temps dip into freezing. I’ve dumped my tanks in campgrounds without water. Obviously unable to use my black tank flush but at least it frees up some room in my tank. I’ve also used companies that service porta potties and have been able to empty my tanks that way. An expensive option but one company will send a truck to my house after a trip for $50.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
What will you be travelling in? I would recommend getting up north as fast as possible and work your way south as the season gets into November. Cold temps and the high probability of snow can be costly trying to stay safe and warm.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #19

OP was asked a couple times, what kind of rig ? Anything exposed like dump valves, tanks etc. is going to freeze where you want to go. I had a "3 season" trailer and it was utterly useless at 31 degrees. True 4 season rigs are totally enclosed and able to handle freezing temps, typically at the cost of propane and power. I sought to 4 season my rig with 12v heating pads and tape, lost interest. Some people are successful at this.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
OP was asked a couple times, what kind of rig ? Anything exposed like dump valves, tanks etc. is going to freeze where you want to go. I had a "3 season" trailer and it was utterly useless at 31 degrees. True 4 season rigs are totally enclosed and able to handle freezing temps, typically at the cost of propane and power. I sought to 4 season my rig with 12v heating pads and tape, lost interest. Some people are successful at this.
That question never got answered "What type of rig?". Not a lot of people are successful at what the OP wants to attempt in any rig. I wish him luck, but! better him than me on that trip. "Ice Road Truckers" would be a good training video.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:21 PM   #21

Quote:
According to his Profile he has a 30' KZ Sportsman Show Stopper trailer. I'm not familiar with them so don't know if they have double pane windows or if it's sealed underneath.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't know in those states camping availability. But solar is not very efficient for three reasons. Sun Angle is way off 60 plus degrees on December 21. The days are much shorter to produce solar. Most of those states campgrounds have lots of trees without leave, but the branches will cast shadows and greatly reduce production. I have found my solar production in the winter in PA and OH is down to about 1/4 - 1/3 of summer production.

In those states in the winter I would not de-winterize. Maine you are most likly going to see at below zero temps. NY it depends how far north you are.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:55 PM   #23

Campgound camping is NOT boondocking. You may lack water and electricity, but if you are in a campground you are not boondocking. So, do you want to really boondock or just stay campground to campground like city folks do?
Boondockers do not worry about campgrounds and do not care if they are open or closed.
Plan to boondock and if you find a campground and want to splurge then thats bonus.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #24

I have camped thru November at Mystic KOA in CT. They close Dec 1. Aside from that I take my rig everytime I go to my moms house. I camp in her driveway. I have driven in heavy snow plenty of times. I have also returned home to an iced/snowy driveway and left my rig out front for a couple months until everything melted.

Campgrounds might be tough to find, but if you have family and friends you are all set. I love driveway camping. I cant stand staying in someone’s house, especially if it’s small.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Obviously, OP’s rig is not 4 seasons. He has a 30ft KZ TT. That doesn’t mean he can’t winter camp. We’ve been comfortable camping in our 3 season TT for 14 days of a 60 day trip during “shoulder season” (FEB/MAR) In NV, northern AZ, NM, and northern TX. Nighttime ambients around 15-20F. Daytime 30-40F. If your 3 season is small and well insulated, keeping warm while boondocking or hooked up at a CG is not that challenging. While in a CG, a small ceramic heater running on ac will keep the TT plenty warm enough. While boondocking, keep batteries charged and use propane furnace. We carry and extra (3rd) 20# tank so we can’t run out. OP will have a tougher time keeping warm, as his 30ft TT will require many more btus to heat than ours, and I don’t know how good his insulation is or whether his KZ has an enclosed underbelly. Most of the cold comes through the floor.

When at CG don’t connect to pressure water. And tanks won’t freeze if underbody is enclosed and you have tank heaters.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #26

I had a 4-season trailer once. Everything was inside. The fault was that waterpipe ran behind the fridge (technically outside now as it is open to the air) and it would freeze there stopping all water flow. I tried insulation, but unless water flows often even insulated pipes freeze. The only solution was to run pex pipe along the floor around the front of the fridge so it stayed inside. I sold the camper before I did this, which I didnt really want to do. I just kept bottles of water filled, and kept them upsidedown so the top was always un-frozen and could always be poured. I would not run the furnace at night as I discovered blankets and how they work, so the interior would be freezing inside, but would warm up in a few mins. I just turn furnace on 5 mins before I got up and all was good.
Life is really hard without a working faucet as it turns out.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, winter