Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

Boondocking in winter

Looking to go north in Oct. and Nov. I know all the campgrounds are closed so what do people do? I know stay home, no thank you there has to be a way. Any help out there?
cwmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #2

Look up rv skirts.. you will need one.. you can make up your own..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
What kind of rig will you be using and for how long? And how far north.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #4

I am not looking to stay more than a few weeks. My problem is finding campgrounds, any ideas?
Old 09-14-2022, 12:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Where do plan on going? If you are self-contained truck stops for overnight. Or are you planning on staying put for a couple of weeks?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

I park in my brother in law’s driveway, run an extension cord off his Christmas lights and dump in his storm drain.
(kidding about part of that)
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmcdowell View Post
Looking to go north in Oct. and Nov.
What do you consider as north?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:33 PM   #8

Are you really going to boondock in winter without shore power and water? Just look for campgrounds that are open all year around. That is what I did.......found Tahoe Valley Campground in South Lake Tahoe, California at 6237 ft elevation, 60 - 3 F and lots of snow was open year round. Camped in a fifth wheel trailer over 2 winters on long weekends October - April BUT connected to power and water that was heat traced and insulated. Heated the trailer with an built-in electric fireplace, portable oil bath heater with occassionally propane furnace. Also made my own heat traced and insulated water supply hose. I also installed rv vents covers over the vents to keep snow off. A shirt would have been benefical prior to snow pack around the trailer.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I am not looking to stay more than a few weeks. My problem is finding campgrounds, any ideas?
In the past we've found that some "closed" campgrounds are only closed for short stays and overnighters...too much hassle for too few customers in the winter. A few campgrounds that were "closed" allowed us to stay if we were there longer than one week (so, not much hassle for them), with the understanding that any water/power issues due to cold weather were our problem if they were to occur (in some cases they did occur).

My advice is to find campgrounds near where you want to be and give them a call...some may be willing to work with you if you prepay for a few weeks (as we found was sometimes the case).
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #10

Boondocking in winter

Many campgrounds that closed every year in the past have started staying open, or closing later and opening sooner in the year.

I didn’t have any trouble finding an rv park for February north of Durango CO. In past years nothing was open north of New Mexico

My Motorhome’s gas floor furnace keeps the basement thawed, and draws little current.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where we live many campgrounds close up many loops. Turn off water all except one hydrant, close the showers and bathrooms maybe leaving one open. We have camped in snow and been the only one camping in the park.

We seen the same thing in PA, OH, IN, kY
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:41 PM   #12

October in Wisconsin is usually a great month to camp. November is ify. December will see freezing weather for periods and frequently at night.

See your TT manual for instructions for a 2016 KZ Sportsmen Show Stopper. It says; "This recreational vehicle is not intended to be
used as full-time living quarters. Nor is this a four season unit. Using
this unit in freezing conditions is not recommended."

https://www.kz-rv.com/owners-manuals...ers-Manual.pdf

See page 4.

State parks in Wisconsin shut off park water and close dump sites around 15 October. Many State Parks stay open with limited campsites available. More or less, other camp grounds do the same. Pit toilets often stay open in winter. Sites with electric may still be open, but are often booked solid on weekends well in advance.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/

Loves Truck Stops often allow dumping, but also shut off outside water in freezing weather. (There are two in Wisconsin.)

Every state and every campground has their own policy. Many have a central water source in winter. As you go south campgrounds have later and later water "off" times. As you go up into mountains, the water "off" times are earlier. Mountain campground often become inaccessible in snow times.

Slide outs become a problem in freezing rain or snow. Skirting and electric heat tape become necessary for more permanent sites. Different TT's are built differently. Some require heaters in water bays and under floor tanks. Dump drain pipes and valves freeze.

My Kodiak Cub was not freeze proof when I bought it. I have modified it for full winter camping.

My furnace provides heat to under floor tanks and pipes. I have electric tank heaters on the three tanks. The belly cover is now sealed and the space with plumbing is insulated. Drain pipe and valves are insulated.

I fill the water tank at home and know where the very few open dump sites are located. I use my onboard water for flushing at dump sites.

We usually go south from December through March. It is definitely more fun. In the North, we stay in hotels and keep the plumbing winterized.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Looking to go north in Oct. and Nov. I know all the campgrounds are closed so what do people do? I know stay home, no thank you there has to be a way. Any help out there?
Your Profile states you're in North Carolina.

Oct is usually a nice month and many parks are still open.

Where, exactly, do you want to go. That would help us a lot.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #14

I am looking to go to New York, Maine, BC. In Oct.,Nov.

Tags
boondock, boondocking, winter