Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
But, they were so programmed by city life that the women just went nuts out in the country by themselves.
Nope, they were programmed by television crime shows, CNN, FOXNEWS, and other media.
Some folks have no idea how great life can be when you do your own thinking. My outlook on life has improved significantly since I turned off the "news".
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

Well, it can happen.
Stun Guns - Effective Self Defense Products for Man and Woman

A few weeks ago in a very nice rv park the door knob jiggled repeatedly while my wife hollered "who is there", and "go away". I had two flashlight stun guns on order due to a dog encounter a few weeks earlier but they were in transit. Our Cocker Spainel strained at the door wanting to enjoy a midnight snack.

I believe the stun gun cracking on the door handle would have given me a clue to who it was. Turns out it was a mistake we found out the next day.
A stun gun works by passing electricity through someone, a single conductor (like a door handle) would only short the 2 terminals of the unit together, in other words, nothing.

I suspect though, that if someone was 'mistakenly' trying to get into your RV with your Cocker Spaniel going off on the inside, it might have been more to do with one too many cocktails than a "mistake".
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Nope, they were programmed by television crime shows, CNN, FOXNEWS, and other media.
Some folks have no idea how great life can be when you do your own thinking. My outlook on life has improved significantly since I turned off the "news".
Agreed
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
You can go your whole life and never have an issue but bad things do happen. I personally know of 2 incidents. Both happened in CA and to elderly (in their 60's) people. In one case a couple was robbed by two men at gun point in their camp (travel trailer) after a successful deer hunt. Took all their personal effects, guns and their hanging deer.
In the second case a couple were in some type of RV in a remote area and murdered. Can't remember the exact circumstance. In any case it does pay to be prepared and in my view armed.
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Chow5656. You should always be aware of your surroundings and don't believe everything you read and half of what you see. People are almost never as they appear. I think most people are very trustworthy. She will miss out on a lot of wonderful experiences and regret that later.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #34

Most people die from poor diet choices and from smoking and vehicular accidents. Most gun deaths are actually homicides and is a top cause of death in 50+ year old males. Then there are the deaths from animal attacks, mostly dogs but also hogs can be deadly, and lightning in some parts of the country.

A thief is not going to drive all the way out of town and take the time and expense to hope to find an RV to break into and no one home and items that he or she can carry out and take to a pawn shop or a flea market to sell for cash. Petty criminals are dumb but usually not that dumb. The smart crooks work for the banks and they will take your life's savings and your house and they are much more of a threat in the USA where the law enforcement people give them a free ride and complete immunity from prosecution. Just don't buy a house in the USA and you will be fine.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #35

When “Boondocking” I feel as safe or more safe as I do at home! Why?

At home- Hedges, shrubs, furniture on the porch/deck, flowers close to the windows for “bad Guys” to hide behind, some window sill heights are very low, 36” wide entry door that opens inward.

RV- open (clear) area around RV and under a security light. My lowest window sill height is about 42”, pretty difficult to climb into after breaking the window, plus they will have to climb over 2 recliners to get all the way in. 24” wide entry door that opens outward, impossible to PUSH in. Plus you almost have to step off the step before opening the door all the way (bad guy would be “off balance”).

Even though I have a 5W/TV (see sig) the “panic” button on my TV remote key clicker has the range to work from anywhere inside the 5W, I know I tried it! I don’t have the convience of a MH in being able to drive off w/o getting out of the MH, I still can make a LOT of noise without going outside! (TV flashing lights and horn honking) The one thing that all “bad Guys” hate is lights and noise!

Then there is always dialing 911 on the cell phone!

We have a next door widow lady that has the answer- She went our local Army surplus store and bought pair of well used size 13-14 Paratrooper/Logger boots, a length of light weight chain (I drug it behind my car to break up the plating so it would rust and look used) with a snap lock on each end and a dog watering bowl from a neighbor that had been chewed on by their dog. When she pulls into a Wally World etc. she picks out a spot under a security light, places the boots outside next to the steps with the dog watering bowl and chain attached to the steps and goes to bed!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #36

That's a great idea. I have thought about doing that at the house. I am much more concerned about my vacant property than I am about personal safety while boondocking.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
I agree with Chow5656. You should always be aware of your surroundings and don't believe everything you read and half of what you see. People are almost never as they appear. I think most people are very trustworthy. She will miss out on a lot of wonderful experiences and regret that later.
No matter which side of the fence you choose to stand on, someone will have a rebuke in argument for what you say. This thread has been very entertaining for that very reason. When it comes to trust, trust your dog. S/he will be a much better judge of who to trust. If the dog growls at them, shoot 'um... Or run. Your choice. I, personally, have been looking for a bad guy behind a bush for 60 years and haven't found one yet! Very frustrating...! Keep in mind that I will make every effort to respect your choices about weapons. Including a choice to not be defended; muzzle the dog though. Life happens. I've found my best defense is honesty, integrity and trust. What goes around, comes around. Share your love and enjoyment for exploring the world and its wonders.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity00 View Post
We are new at RVing but my wife needs a little reassurance in boondocking. Please don't recommend a .357 magnum.. Deadly force is allowed in Canada.
Mike

Google the Blind River Ontario incident a few years back and see how you feel about being totaly unprotected in Canada.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I'm trying to say, is that I personally would not be one bit comfortable without a gun while travling in mt moho.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
What I'm trying to say, is that I personally would not be one bit comfortable without a gun while travling in mt moho.
So how should "Us Canadians" feel one bit comfortable without a gun while travelling in our moho in the U.S.???
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post

Google the Blind River Ontario incident a few years back and see how you feel about being totaly unprotected in Canada.
Do you mean the murders of Gord McAllister, and his wife Jackie in a rest stop outside Blind River? That was also TWENTY TWO years ago. Also, if that is what you're referring to, in that case the killer got them to let him into they're m/h by posing as a police officer, in UNIFORM.

If that's the best example of violence in Canada that can be pointed to, run down to the RV dealer to pick out your new DP, your chances of the 'big one' in the Power Ball is way higher........
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #42

Hell!! Here I thought everyone was talking about the Sasquatch assault on Blind River. Yes, it would seem here in Canada we have the lowest, the sickest SOB in the world when it come to that kind of stuff.
Serenity00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, safety