Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2023, 01:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Love it, thank you for sharing the link above, so many great spots you have visited boondocking. One in particular I'm curious about if you could share, you mentioned just east of fort Bragg? We live in North Carolina about an hour west of fort Bragg, my wife works in the hospital there in Fayetteville. I was not aware of any boondocking opportunities in North Carolina, although we are quite green and just got our first travel trailer 3 years back. Would love any information you might offer about the photograph you took east of Fayetteville, perhaps the place we could check out some weekend. Either way thank you for a compiling and sharing the photographs above, can't wait to show that to the wife tonight.

Also love the images near Silverton and above crested Butte Colorado, those are phenomenal areas. We took a trip two years ago for 21 days and went to Badlands and Custer State Park then went down to Estes Park, then down to Blue Mesa reservoir by Gunnison. Our trip down to Silverton and then poking around the dirt roads up above crested Butte, we're some of the best days we had that whole trip. Such a beautiful area

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2023, 04:25 PM   #30

Dan, we were at the other Ft. Bragg, in Northern Calif. Interestingly, I did not know (until just now) that both places are named for the same person, Braxton Bragg. But amazingly, the California fort (actually a garrison) was established in 1857, long before the more famous Carolina fort was named in 1918!
Old 01-23-2023, 04:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Love it, thank you for sharing the link above, so many great spots you have visited boondocking. One in particular I'm curious about if you could share, you mentioned just east of fort Bragg? We live in North Carolina about an hour west of fort Bragg, my wife works in the hospital there in Fayetteville. I was not aware of any boondocking opportunities in North Carolina, although we are quite green and just got our first travel trailer 3 years back. Would love any information you might offer about the photograph you took east of Fayetteville, perhaps the place we could check out some weekend. Either way thank you for a compiling and sharing the photographs above, can't wait to show that to the wife tonight.

Also love the images near Silverton and above crested Butte Colorado, those are phenomenal areas. We took a trip two years ago for 21 days and went to Badlands and Custer State Park then went down to Estes Park, then down to Blue Mesa reservoir by Gunnison. Our trip down to Silverton and then poking around the dirt roads up above crested Butte, we're some of the best days we had that whole trip. Such a beautiful area

Dan
https://www.campendium.com/north-car...01838422334%7D

Free sites do look kinda slim but there are some
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:52 PM   #32

We don't boondock unless we are forced to stop in a rest stop along the highway due to weather or tiredness. I have seen, through these forums, that quite a few RVers do boondock. Some in really remote areas. I would think, beside human predators, there are the 4 legged types. After all it's their territory. My wife is scared to death of things that crawl big and small. I'm apprehensive about big things that look at humans as part of the "what's for dinner" scenario or that are protecting their young. Regardless I carry a shotgun in our motorhome for protection against the possibilities and probabilities.

I am wondering how others are able to go into the boonies with little to no protection against the unknown as certain folks have eluded to in these forums. Now, please don't tell me that out all of the years you have been doing it nothing has ever happened and all I am doing is crying woolf. I have never had a heart attack but does not mean that I leave myself open to a heart attack by living vacariously. Protection for these scenarios is for things that "could" happen and not necessarily for things that may not have happened due to either luck or theoretical equation.

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:48 PM   #33

A large can of bear spray and situational awareness can go along way. Along with other means of protection. If the state doesn't allow for self protection no need to stimulate their economy.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #34

Floridastorm, have you never been car camping or backpacking? Some people do carry guns backpacking but most not. I backpacked for many years solo and with other people and none of us carried guns. Backpacking implies you are far from civilization, and sure there may be bears, large cats (cougars, etc.) and what not, but I have never been assailed by anything or anyone. Has it happened to other people? Sure. Is it likely to happen, no the odds are in your favor, but a long shot. Watch "Alone" TV survival show. Automobile accidents happen but not many people drive round in an M60 battle tank.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:23 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
The only predators that can go after a human are grizzly bears, cougars, and wolves. All are exceptionally rare. A moose or a black bear might attack you if you get between mana and baby, but you can manage to have that not occur with basic situational awareness. We have camped all over the west in tents, pop ups, travel trailers, and now a motorhome. Keep a clean camp, and you won’t have trouble with the four legged varmints. BTW, raccoons can be dreadful if you leave food or trash out. Follow wildlife protection guidelines at all times. The only things we leave out overnight are lawn chairs and maybe a table.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
I've never felt unsafe any time I boondocked.

Arizona is TOO hot this time of year unless you enjoy the generator running 24/7

I'm from Regina.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Floridastorm, have you never been car camping or backpacking? Some people do carry guns backpacking but most not. I backpacked for many years solo and with other people and none of us carried guns. Backpacking implies you are far from civilization, and sure there may be bears, large cats (cougars, etc.) and what not, but I have never been assailed by anything or anyone. Has it happened to other people? Sure. Is it likely to happen, no the odds are in your favor, but a long shot. Watch "Alone" TV survival show. Automobile accidents happen but not many people drive round in an M60 battle tank.
Yes, out of necessity one has to drive. There is no necessity to go out in the wild, and as you state, also with no protection. If things can happen they will happen. Puting ones self at risk uncessessarily, no matter what the chances of injury or death, is a fool's game IMO. I really have no interest in what other people do with their lives except to question why they are doing it. And, I am quite sure that quite a few people who boondock end up with injuries or even dead. It's just not reported except on the local news. I prefer, especially at my advanced age, not to tempt fate as life is short enough.

Thank you for your views on this subject.
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:13 PM   #38

While in a Developed CG with FHU's sitting at our dinette having a morning cup of coffee a Black Bear moseyed thur the CG right by our window.
Normally we would have been sitting outside under the awning but for some reason we sat inside that morning

So one doesn't have to be boondocking for 'nature' to show up.

Have felt safer boondocking then some reststops or Wallydocking

"Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself"
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
We don't boondock unless we are forced to stop in a rest stop along the highway due to weather or tiredness. I have seen, through these forums, that quite a few RVers do boondock. Some in really remote areas. I would think, beside human predators, there are the 4 legged types. After all it's their territory. My wife is scared to death of things that crawl big and small. I'm apprehensive about big things that look at humans as part of the "what's for dinner" scenario or that are protecting their young. Regardless I carry a shotgun in our motorhome for protection against the possibilities and probabilities.

I am wondering how others are able to go into the boonies with little to no protection against the unknown as certain folks have eluded to in these forums. Now, please don't tell me that out all of the years you have been doing it nothing has ever happened and all I am doing is crying woolf. I have never had a heart attack but does not mean that I leave myself open to a heart attack by living vacariously. Protection for these scenarios is for things that "could" happen and not necessarily for things that may not have happened due to either luck or theoretical equation.
More things happen at a rest area than out in the boonies. I hope you never go in a restroom at night! We full-timed and moved around the country for 16 years and boondocking on public lands was always our first choice. Sorry to tell you but we never witnessed any criminal behavior and never heard of any through all of our boondocking friends. Criminals want it easy. They're not going to drive for miles on a gravel road. I've heard of lots of theft in RV parks.

Personally, we don't live in fear. That's not the way to live. We also don't carry guns.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #40

Everyone has their own level of comfort, and it’d be a boring world if we were all the same.

For those that opt to boondock, keeping a clean camp minimizes the potential for problems. The people I do see, which are few, are either fellow boondockers, or are zipping by on an ATV. I’ll add that I’m more concerned about ticks than bears these days.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #41

Not a problem

Bad actors do not go wandering around back roads hoping to find a victim.

They stick close to populated areas.
Dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:05 PM   #42

I would bet the house that I've backpacked more than anyone, on 5 continents. I never carried anything other than a bear canister. I've had leopards 8 feet away. Mountain lions and Black bears are a total yawn. That Polar bear was another thing but I will admit I had some luck. OK, a lot of luck. I boondock a lot but I usually do a lot of research. I've never had a problem but, as others have noted, I don't assume that the most dangerous animal on earth (after the mosquito) might not get liquored up and decide that my TT or pickup is too good to pass up. 99% of the time the chance of that happening doesn't even cross my my mind. On the rare occasions that it does I know I can rely on my German friends, who shall remain nameless so I don't get banned.

Tags
boondock, boondocking, safety