Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Unless you developed the term and had some kind of patent on the term and it affected your income, investment, or reputation, why on earth would you even care what others choose to call it or bring it up as an issue. People have different terms for a lot of things and it means what it means to them. To be "offended" is a little out there.There are way too many other things to worry about in life than what others call things.
Perhaps you missed the Sunday Morning news article about the guy who couldn't live with people mis-using the phrase "comprised of" and changed every single instance of it to "composed of" in all of Wikipedia and wrote a program to alert him of any future mis-uses there…perhaps that is why the OP is also offended, no means of fixing posts in a forum like this
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Don't know if it has been changed or not, but the "Y" in 11B4Y was Airborne/Pathfinder when I served 2 1/2 tours with them in Vietnam. I will check to see what it is now at my Pathfinder reunion in Sept at Ft Benning. We were called "Blackhats". "6mike" denotes leadership NCO. Another life ago!
I googled MOS's and they have been changed since 1967. We had a Pathfinder unit in 173rd Abn but for some reason, LRRP did not interplay with them (when the unit segued into N Rangers, they did work together). They used AF Pathfinders when 2/503rd did the drop at Katum. Teams 3 and 6 were inserted two days before to monitor the drop zone. A 4 was E5 and now it denotes E6.

One tour was quite enough for me.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #59

I think boon docking is out in the wilds.

And dry camping is a better term for walmart, etc. overnight.

But, each to their own.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
This is way too complex for me. I have two modes.
One where I hook up to water and power and the other where I don't. In either case I eat at the same table, sit on the same chairs and sleep in the same bed.

Only the location is changed to protect the innocent.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
So does parking in a BLM campground without hookups qualify as boondocking or dry camping?

Yes
Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #62

How about spending a night or more in my camper without the benefits of power or facilities. In my case a night in my small Bigfoot truck camper at Walmart is more boon docking then those in a 30 ft fifth wheel 20 miles out on a dirt road. Just saying
Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #63

Boondocking vs. 'Boondocking'

"Boondocking" with gennies, solar, A/C, satelite TV, wifi, etc is not "roughing it", it is being away.
Walmart (et al) is not away, it is on the way.
Leaving home and going away is vague.
We fulltime so we are always home, even if we go near away or far away. And we don't rough it anymore. Most of us do not rough it.
Not all of us camp.
We camp.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #64

Get Offended? Not at all. As long as their happy, and enjoying boondocking, camping, or glamping who cares.
Don't lose any sleep over it .
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #65

Lots of emphasis on the term 'offended' with no mention of the modifier 'A LITTLE'. I'm not losing any sleep over it, except when they are mowing the lawn at 2AM at the Wal Mart I happen to be boondocking at for 3 weeks with my slides out and gennie kicking ;-)

Actually what brought it to my attention was the FMCA or some other document about parking lot camping etiquette. In there, they mention overnighting in parking lots and say 'also known as boondocking', as if that's the only meaning. So when I tell people I'm going camping in the RV and they say 'which campground', and I say 'none, we're boondocking', then they say 'oh, which Wal Mart?' I then need to explain to them the difference in meaning. OK, this hasn't happened YET :-)

Another example is this forum (this is the Boondocking forum, for those who didn't notice)... How many threads regarding boondocking supplies are followed up with 'Who cares, just walk across the lot to the Wal Mart when they open and get what you need!' That would get old very quickly. The general assumption with most of the threads is that people are 'wild camping', not hanging out for long periods in a parking lot.

Finally, there is an element that tends to abuse the parking lot camping allowed by Wal Mart (such as the family that was living in the Suburban at my 'home' Wal Mart that got in a fight with the police and one of them ended up dead). There used to be several campers there at a time (many of them abusing the privilege) and now overnighting is not allowed. On top of that, now when I tell people we overnight at a Wal Mart sometimes during our travels this is what they think of. I like to think I'm not associated with this crowd when I talk about boondocking. I'll admit, that is perhaps a bit elitest.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #66

Oh, I see. Well thanks for the English lesson anyway. Personally I've never stayed in a parking lot, so I wouldn't know what you call it.
I plan my trip better than that.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #67

Surprisingly, many people (myself included) PLAN to overnight in a parking lot, rest area or truck stop when going long distances. We find it superior to paying for and spending a short night in a campground. To each his or her own though.

My pleasure on the English lesson
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #68

We stay overnight at wineries, farms and golf clubs when we travel to our destination.

I don't mind what you call it...no offense here!
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
I stayed once in a 'campground' which was nothing more than a parking lot that I paid for with hookups and no grass on our row... we could hear our neighbors without trying. We could reach out and touch our neighbors rig had we wanted to...So I am amused by what sometimes are called campgrounds when it just looks pretty much like a parking lot with electric poles, and water spigots and a hole in the ground all in a foot square spot designating, this is a 'camping' spot. I prefer dry camping out in the boonies... but calling it camping is a stretch too...LOL!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #70

I think if you are easily offended, you should stay off the internet.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking